1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Point lost on re-boot

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by desertbaker, 26 Aug 2020.

1. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Evening all.

Just finished building a new pc which has had lots of reboots as software loaded and tweaks made. Just noticed this evening every time I reboot I loose the information on the wu's and new ones are downloaded and started from zero ie a check point is not being saved while shutting down. If I pause before reboot, the check point is there on re start. Never had this before. Is there an easy fix or am I stuck with remembering to pause before re-boot?

Thanks in advance

PS where can I get one of those neat avatars?!

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I can't help with the reboot issue, as I've always paused my clients before a reboot due to paranoia about losing work. I'd guess something to do with checkpointing interval set via the advanced tab of the configuration form in the client.

If you'd like an avatar, find or make yourself an image of 200x200px or less, then hover over your username in the top right and click avatar - this should let you upload the image.

Any juicy new hardware in the new rig?

3. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Shirty

Thanks for the information. I've never paused but it is a habit I will have to develop pretty quick and of course, remember to re start the client when the pc gets going!

Fractal R6 glass sided case;
    Aorus Z490 Elite; intel 10th gen i7 (couldn't obtain any i9's over the summer but the i7 offers a lot more 'bang for buck');
    2x gigabyte RTX Super Gaming OC 2070's;
    Samsung 970 m2;
    fractal water cooler S24;
    32gb Corsair Vengeance PRO
    A bank loan!

Just had delivered 2 Noctua redux PWM fans to be fitted this afternoon. The higher fitted gpu is running at 82C while the lower one is 62C. For a change I've fitted the water cooler at the front of the case which is giving low cpu temps and good airflow.

Spent far too long looking at avatars instead of fitting new fans so have chosen this while I find something else. But got it too work.

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

@desertbaker - I've not come across that problem before. Are you running under Windows or Linux, and which version of the client are you using?

5. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

@DocJonz I have win 10 pro release 191206-1406 and client 7.6.13. I did do some 'googling' and found a few others who have had similar problems. A suggestion was the m2 memory shutting down the system before the check point was written. I have the client on an SSD with windows on the m2. I could try moving folding to the m2.

I've installed those extra fans and have dropped the temp of the second gpu to 77C from 82C.

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Perhaps it is a Windows thing?
    I don't Fold under Windows anymore, but most of my Linux machines now have M.2 drives, and I don't lose checkpoint information when re-booting.

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Use nvme on 1 windows machine, no issues with rebooting here. Try shifting the installation onto the boot drive.

8. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Will try and let you know