1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Decided to carry on with the Centenario:

[​IMG]

Quite difficult to clamp the left and right sections in place as I had to remove a couple of pieces, as well as line up a LOT of friction pins. Not to mention two axles for controlling the doors.

This may interest you:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sorry Pete, I found another one for your to-do pile:-

Pete J likes this.
  3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yeah, I've been following it - but I was disappointed by their decision to go for tracks rather than legs :miffed:

Pete J likes this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Getting to this point was far more annoying than I thought a Lego model could ever be:

[​IMG]

While I was attaching a part to the 'cockpit', I accidentally let it roll backwards on the table, which dislodged the headrest of the driver's side seat headrest. Whilst trying to figure out why the headrest was a little further back compared to the passenger's seat. I managed to disconnect some hard to reach parts. After spending over an hour and a half trying to fix it and constantly breaking the same location, my temper snapped (bearing in mind I was well beyond when I wanted to go to bed) and I smashed the chair into bits - only then did it become apparent why I was having the issue - the headrest was adjustable, which I'd forgotten :duh:. It still took a while to fix, but at least I got to the bottom of it.

After the headrest issue was sorted, I then had to attach the rear (gearbox, rear differential and engine) section and front differential to the cockpit. This involved careful alignment of several pins and axles, as well as linking the gearbox and gear knob mechanism (which itself involves a clever bit that pushes an internal axle to engage a beam).

The result? Everything is working very smoothly! The steering (perfectly aligned, of course!) is very smooth and the gear change feels amazingly satisfying, with a good 'clunk' as you cycle through gears.

The majority of the difficult bits are out of the way, but there's still the rear adjustable spoiler section to build.

The Star Destroyer may be impressive because of its size, but this continues to impress with the sheer technical mastery demonstrated. Building the Sian after this is going to be a cakewalk :hehe:.

I'd seen that! A really cool model and I'd love to build it for the sake of building it, but it's deceptively large (as tall as the Star Destroyer is long), hence would create a distraction rather than being appreciated for what it is. I might chat to a friend who wants to make the Emperor's arrival scene from ROTJ and see if I can talk him into it...
    You're not alone!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I decided to take a little break from the Lambo and do the snowspeeder:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I'm missing/can't find two bits. Ahh well, back to the Lambo until the parts arrive.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There are always more shelves

9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Just build some more from Lego...

Pete J, IanW and Byron C like this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update!

I've finished the Lambo's arse:

[​IMG]

As with the rest of the model, not a straightforward building process:
    • Getting the thin stickers on (the blue highlights on the diffuser fins) was fiddly - luckily I now have a pair of tweezers, which made things much more tolerable (added to 'Lessons Learnt).
    • Not visible from this angle, but I had to make a non-friction half pin a friction pin by wrapping a small amount of Sellotape round it as it has a brick on it that needs to keep aligned
    • The spoiler mechanism (which moves up and down) needed a bit of tweaking to run smoothly, especially with my obsession for having bricks more or less perfectly aligned. Without tweaking, the spoiler wouldn't return to its home position without some help, but now...SMOOTH.
    • The sticker pack has a Californian number plate option with 'OUTATIME' on it, but at some point in the future I'll print my own one. I'll keep the sticker for another potential future project...
    I'm not quite happy with the red tube bits and was looking at the designer's original design, which actually had the more flexible stuff with the '+' profile. I had a look around and found a seller who not only had what I was looking for, but also had one of the rarer Ewok minifigs for a damn steal of a price. Ordered!

In the meantime, the two missing parts for the Snowspeeder have turned up. I'll finish that off now.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update!

First off, two further pieces were missing/lost for the Snowspeeder, so that's been delayed while a further order turns up - I chucked in the potential missing parts as well from my erroneous mirroring of the Star Destroyer's panels.

Now, onto the Centenario:

[​IMG]

The front section is complete (along with wheelie case). As always, a few fiddly bits, and it didn't help when I accidentally dropped the assembly on the floor halfway through :wallbash:.

[​IMG]

And here we have the front and back connected! The back went on with barely any effort, which was a nice change; the spoiler mechanism still works flawlessly when connected to the rest of the gear assembly. The front was relatively easy to connect too, though I had to use my Leatherman with a glove to soften the grip to drive two axles home.

EDIT: Oh, and the order for the replacement red bits? The seller had them in the wrong size, so I decided to cancel the order.

I'm going to take a brief break to build another model. Do I build the TIE fighter or the Aliens APC?

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That is starting to look really pretty!

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm going to do the TIE Fighter - the APC is more Technic, which is what I want a little break from :hehe:

It's hands down the best Lego model I've built to date: I don't expect anything to surpass it, aside from another model by the designer! I recommend it to anyone who wants to take their Lego building to the next level - if you can convert the official Lego sets to right hand drive without issues, you're ready for this.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

BONUS UPDATE!

[​IMG]

The final missing parts arrived, which meant that:

[​IMG]

The Battle of Hoth is done!

Byron C, IanW and BeauchN like this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Missing a part for the TIE Fighter:

[​IMG]

Annoyingly, it's actually a rather expensive top panel part - and I need another two for other fighters. Ah, well.

In the meantime, I think I'll get on with...drumroll...

Aliens APC!

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The more accurate you make it look, the more I look at reality and say "I bet I could just pop that open if I twisted it slightly.

Pete J likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Parts laid out for the APC:

[​IMG]

A couple of missing /misplaced parts, as well as finding out that one of the suspension parts was definitely not 'new'. Ordered, and hopefully they'll turn up before I need them...

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The APC's around 1/3 complete:

[​IMG]

That's the rear axle there - the two motors present actually drive the same shaft (also done in the Mustang, which has been sat incomplete on its display shelf for a long time now). The model will be 4x4x4 drive.

Two things:
    • I found out that all the four large motors have minor damage to the front side holes. I'm a bit annoyed by this as I paid the premium to have them new. Still, once the model is complete, the damage won't be visible.
    • The instructions recommend cutting up an axle into little half bits to put inside the hub connectors to avoid the axles slipping out of the gears in the differential. I found a spare yellow 3L axle and cut it up.
    On another note, I was looking into buying the The Bespin Duel 75294 (the Target exclusive set) but prices are crazy high. I did see if a friend who lives in LA would be able to acquire it, but you had to have a membership card or something to buy it.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

MARINES!!! WE ARE LEAVING!!!

[​IMG]

And yes, the turret does 'that' thing:

[​IMG]

I've been driving it around the perilous landscape of my living room for a few minutes now. I'm 36 :hehe:.

Back to the Lambo...

[ZiiP] NaloaC and IanW like this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm in love <3