1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Occulus to require Facebook Account

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedFlames, 18 Aug 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, think it best if I just add this to my 'why I should just sod it and buy an Index' list.

Or just test the waters with an old Vive setup if I can find one for cheap.

FB i don't have, don't want. Steam i have but then i need and use it.

Mind you i'm probably complaining for no real reason, i mean FB own whatsapp so they probably have farmed my data out already.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

FB is probably one of the least intrusive platforms. I've heard from a few friends that have talked about something in the house, only to see relevant products shown the next time they search Google. I've basically given up on the idea of privacy, and Google knows all. Probably a few Chinese platforms as well, they have insane AI. I have FB, but primarily use it for messenger and birthday reminders.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm just surprised it took this long.

RedFlames and adidan like this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

So can you setup and use Vive or Index without signing into Steam?
    I know there is openVR, but I’m not sure how it works without Steam.

Genuine question, you raise very good points about FB.

5. adidan

I think the thing is, for me, I have Steam for gaming, I really don't fancy another level of data give away on top of that irrespective of it being FB or not.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. creative

creative 500rwhp

data is the new oil......

7. adidan

David likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The last line of that article is exactly what I was expecting, before I clicked the link.

Don't really care about VR (yet) and I don't like Facebook so, if they want backtrack on promises and damage their brand and integrity a little more, I'm ok with that.

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

I've started to toy with the idea. The Reverb G2 seems the most appealing at the moment.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sold my Quest on Ebay. £400 - which was pretty good as I bought it for £310 last October. Not sure what is going on with prices right now?

Pre-ordered the G2 for £600 - cannot wait to play Half Life and Squadrons later this year!

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  11. adidan

The Quest is getting de-listed, somebody may have thought is was just in demand.

Nice result though and the G2 looks to be the best value set out there at the moment - it's the one that could tempt me at thr moment but I think i'll on a while yet.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm sure some people still think if it's on Ebay, it must be cheaper and, then pay then pay more, even for used items, than you could pay for new items elsewhere.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yup, just sold a used GPU on eBay for more than you can find it for new right now. Madness.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Smaller scale, but I once listed a double-disc DVD - after buying a box set that included the same double-disc pack - for 99p no reserve, linking to the same product on Amazon in the description and saying "this is £18 on Amazon at the moment, so you can grab yourself a bargain!"

It sold for £24. Whuh?

15. adidan

I sold an old pair of used and battered Nike sandals for well more than I bought them for.

Seemed to be very popular amongst a couple of French buyers, it seemed the used nature is what they went for going by their purchase history :eeek::eyebrow:

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Anyone looking at getting a Quest 2?

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Unfortunately I didn’t get my acts together to sell the original Quest before the announcement. So despite really want the 90 Hz higher resolution Quest 2 to upgrade my PC VR experience, I won’t be getting one.

If they can officially support wireless “Air Link” for PC VR, it’ll be the tipping point for me.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

F**king ouch:

https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/f...mselves-banned-when-linking-facebook-account/

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i was all set to order the quest 2, rally enjoyed using my quest 1 but the new facebook merging stuff is crap, apart from vader immortal and beat saber, i play steam vr games either tethered or via virtual desktop/ALVR .
    i dont have room for regular headset in my dinky computer room apart from maybe playing racing games so this may be it for VR for me :/

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Clarification request. Is the fb account required to use the hardware itself with other software like open VR platforms and toolkits, 3rd party VR programs, SteamVR, etc.? The Vive came with a strong suggestion that I make a Vive account, register, install all their bloatware, but on a reload I discovered I could forego all of it, install only the basic drivers and hop straight on SteamVR. Is that not possible here? How do they actually mandate you connect a fb account just to use a piece of hardware?

I anticipate that the FB account will get you into the Oculus store/launcher, but you can run non-Oculus-sourced games and apps, like those from Steam, without the Oculus software, can't you?