1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD 6xxx Series (RDNA 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 12 Sep 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

From memory,

2 * 8 pin is up to 300W
    PCIE x16 supplies up to 75 W

So two 8 pin should be enough for up to 375W max.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That is because they are low BIN parts.

Think about it like this. If the 3080 on a good bin needs that 12 pin (AKA three 8 pin) then what does it mean when a card only has two? that the connectors will melt? or it's not going to overclock to anything more than two 8 pin can supply.

Edit. That's not theory, BTW. Apparently the Founders cards this time around are the highest BIN and that is why they are going out for review. The AIBs have to buy "the rest" from Nvidia and BIN them themselves.

3. Vault-Tec

Until the 7000 series Crossfire never worked. Even when it did it would skip frames and produce runt frames. AMD were not outed until the 7990 came out, so you would have been about as screwed as me when I ran two 5770s.

I bought a 7990 for £430. Which was a great deal and it was a good card (very hot though !) because the drivers were fixed.

Thankfully that is all over now, and it's being left in the past where it belongs (with SLi, which Nvidia ditched last week).

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yup. I seem to remember paying around £450ish for my 5970 BE in 2010. I then had to spend another few hundred changing the case and airflow to accommodate the space heater before giving up, selling and spending even more on NV SLI cards (480s), which worked back then. I had them for about 6 months and then upgraded to a pair of 580s and finally 680s. Haven't had SLI since my pair of 680s were sold for a single 780.

Edit: I did have a pair of 780s thinking about it. EVGA FE cards with titan coolers. I kept those until I upgraded to 1080Ti, which is a single card.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh I've seen there's apparently 3 bins, but the 12pin is being fed by 2x8pins not 3, so in reality it's no different than a card with 2x8pin. There are cards like the Cheesecake, strix oc, lightning etc which do have 3x8pin and the potential to be overclocked to consume vast quantities of power, but I expect we'll see AIB 6000 cards with 3x8pin too.

You can't assume that differentials of power consumption based on its connectors, which are in reality the same.

6. Vault-Tec

SLi back then was excellent. It really was. However Nvidia soon realised that two 460s made faster than a 480... For £130 less and it looked much cooler too. So starting with the 6 series they started to derp their lower end cards and removed the connector.

I bought a new 7970 but it was so hot I swapped it for two brand new EVGA 480s. That rig was awesome. I will see if I can find pics :)

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  7. rollo

rollo Modder

The orginal Space heater vs the new space heater 7970 vs 480 lol

8. Vault-Tec

Yeah the 7970 was horrible. I was really disappointed. With the 1ghz firmware on it was even worse. That's why I got rid, the 480s were quite tame in comparison lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Sep 2020
    Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

lol I just spotted it.

[​IMG]

AMD trolling hard !

10. Vault-Tec

On my Asus Dual 2070 Advanced it had one 8 pin. The Evo had two. I soon learned that my one was limited to 1950mhz odd, and there was no surpassing it. It made it there easily and was more than quick enough, but it was a bit annoying.

IDK if we will see anything like this with the 30 series.

11. Vault-Tec

12. The_Crapman

Does look really nice.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Keep in mind Nvidia also puts in place Voltage, Power and Thermal limits, so the power connectors may not have been the limiting factor.

14. Vault-Tec

The hedgehog guru* doesn't like it. I do. I think it's at least a proper cooler designed from the ground up.

*Guru my chocolate tea towel holder. "The Radeon 7 was AMD's first push away from the blower cooler to a triple fan design".

No, no it wasn't.

[​IMG]

In other words RTG RND took a 7990, took a Dremel to it, shoved a metal box over it and there was your 7 cooler. AT LEAST this one is ground up design nicking the good bits from the 2080Ti.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I honestly don't know why AMD bothered releasing a picture of it.

It's a GPU. They all look basically the same. If it had looked like a marital aid instead of a rectangle, then maybe I'd get the point.

And more to the point, who spends money on a GPU and spends time looking at it, and not what it's rendering.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@liratheal you make a good point. I thought about this twenty years ago when browsing through PC Pro catalogues for components, and the high-end graphics cards always had bling heatsinks and fans on them (although nothing like what we have nowadays).

Bottom line: a graphics card is a product that is tailored to a very specific market. The people who buy high-end hardware want it to look good, and the better it looks, the more likely it is to sell. I know it sounds counter-intuitive when the thing you're buying is all about performance rather than aesthetics, but that's human psychology for you.

17. liratheal

See, I can see the argument for wanting something to "fit" your build.

But how many high end cards are installed in ways that would cause them to stab themselves in the heart so the user can look at them? IE: Vertical next to a solid piece of glass.

And given how generic and bland graphics card designs are these days, I don't believe that many off the shelf cards would look better in any given orientation than any other card.

They're all black oblongs with fans and bits of silver.

18. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I saw this the other day and almost threw up (Palit 3070). Even if that was 5% better than all other 3070s I would have a hard time putting that in any PC (with a window). I cant imagine the 'rough' edges around the fan holes make the noise profile better somehow (what were Palit smoking?)

[​IMG]

19. liratheal

I mean.. I applaud the effort on colour, but the colour is on the side of the card that faces down based on that picture. So.. It's still a grey-black oblong from any other angle.

Spraduke likes this.
  20. The_Crapman

The art of buying components is an odd one, especially when straying into a new hobbies. Marketing speil and the bling of a product are an alluring combo that is difficult to fight through to get the truth. That's why we look to review sites and reviewers for the truth (we hope).

When I bought my first brand new golf club I did it like I buy pc parts. Had a look what I could get at my price range, read all the reviews, chose the "best" one that seemed like it would fit the gap and need I had. It did not. I could not hit the dam thing straight (which is almost entirely my fault but...), Part of the problem was in being a "hybrid" the club face had a curved face which is there to help you hit it straighter through the gear effect, but with this and more loft and an odd new shape of head to me, I didn't even know how to line it up. It just sat in my bag. When I was in a position to replace it, I'd seen a lot of reviews for Utility Irons, which are meant to be bigger headed more forgiving long irons for distance hitting, it the same vein as hybrids but more iron like. I'd seen a Titleist one that looked really nice, would go well with the rest of my Titleist irons and had reviewed very well. So off i went to the golf shop to get one. But the head was tiny in comparison to my other clubs and I didn't have the skill and swing speed to hit it further than my 4 iron. So the fitter says asks why I'm not going with a normal hybrid, I explain my problems with my current one and I see I lightbulb go off in his head. He comes back with a Ping G Crossover. It has a big, chunky hollow head like a hybrid, but a flat face like an iron. I'd seen reviews and they said it was weird, and it was, but I just didn't like the look of it. But I hit it anyway. Kaboom! 200yard carry, 25-30 yards further than the Titleist. The next one got full beans. 215 yard carry, 220 yard total distance, sold to the gentleman with a massive smile. In reality it was exactly the right club for me, I love how it looks now and was probably out off by the reviews saying how odd the concept and design was, which is a shame.