1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ VIDEO // DAWN OF WINDOWS, 35 Years Jubilee of Windows, COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 30 Aug 2020.

1. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

why don't create a modding section about recycling mod? it's maybe interesting, great work ali!

2. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

I wouldnt mind at all. almost every mod I make is upcycling or has recycled part.
    I actually dont believe in the concept of rubbish. everything can be reused, we just have to want and try.
    paints are just about the only thing not reusable, butt even there, we can use unusual things to paint.
    i certainly dont need any of those effect spray cans for certain effects. a little experimentation with, ink, sand, heat and solubles as well as non solvents are very revealing sometimes.

actually, i would prefer if computerised assistance, also lknown as automation, would be seperated from hand driven and hand tools.
    i use all possibilities for custoimer builds like my CRE8ODORE, but am bound to only handmade when i want to make art.
    The DCMM has applied this now by introducing anew category called CAM.So we have scratch, casemod and CAM.
    CAM is short for COMPUTER ASSISTED MODDING, meaning the use of 3d printers, cnc, laser, and any other type of files driven machine that is able to replicate.
    of course you get points for the files you make, the paintjob you apply and things like finishing and all the other criteria that applies anyway.
    but they are evalauted different or the applicant advised to stay or change categories depending on what he lay more stress on.

once again though, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist. its all modding, every little change we make is
    MODIFIED BY DEFINITION, but not by judgeable category, thats the only distingishment we must make to keep judging fair.
    I mean, hey, changing one single screw is a modification by definitio too isnt it.
    but not really worth posting of course. every change to the norm is a modified case. nomatter how. but the judge has to categorise into scratch, casemod, ce-mod, cam etc...

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Truth: They made that new classification so you would have your own division and wouldn't be taking all the prizes from the other kiddies. :D

4. abbas-it

Hi guys, so this journey is also coming to an end and I am off to the next project.
    THE NEXT OF QIN thread is aleready open and a few more will come before the DCMM in 2021
    Thanks to Microsoft for the chance to make this historical piece of equipment and the freedom to do it like I like doing it!

old sppecs1.jpg
    new specs.jpg

5. abbas-it

6. abbas-it

7. abbas-it

i kept the old stickers as you can see. one of them said "only to be opened by maintenance personell"
    hahahahahaha! too late, literally 40 years on almost
    comparison3.jpg

8. abbas-it

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I blinked and you were done. :lol: Getting rid of the babysh*t brown aged plastic did wonders. :thumb:

10. abbas-it

Well it was really already done as I mentioned in the very first post. Just had to wait for the green light from Microsoft before I could show it. Video isn't released yet. We had some goofy fun doing that.

11. Yargen

Yargen What's a Dremel?

Great work, it’s really funny to see how far we’ve come

12. abbas-it

thx guys, and here is the video..

In 1985 Microsoft released the very first Windows 1.0 version. I would like to thank Microsoft and all involved for accepting my idea of building this, "THE DAWN OF WINDOWS" case to comemmorate this era of computer OS history. I knew straight away that I would take an old case, in this case a Siemens Nixdorf PC01 from 1981, and integrate high end hardware to portray the period from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows 10 in all its 2020 versions. From 4.77 MHz to over 4GHz, from 128Kbyte to 16Gbyte and from onboard Amber yellow text all the way to a RTX2060, this has been quite a time travel to get all the Windows intermediate development stages included. Thats why, in this video, you can see a little "not too serious" film we made to take you all on the same journey I went on while building. Without further ado, let their be light! To see how it was built, please visit either my website or the whole worklog at https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php...

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Another pro build with some really nice touches from the master of mods :rock::rock:

14. abbas-it

thanks def

Jean R built likes this.
  15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

The video sold me the project :clap:

Cheers

Last edited: 13 Sep 2020
  16. abbas-it

thx jean. and thanks to Bit-Tech for the nominations. good luck to all. the bar is high this time.
    here is the video again for all those who missed this :)

Jean R built likes this.
  17. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Just caught up with this from the homepage, congrats on the nomination and it's a wonderful build!

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

This project has inspired me, a couple days ago I ordered an old matra minitel machine.
    [​IMG]
    In a couple weeks I should get it and then the stripping can begin !

Attached Files:

19. abbas-it

thx guys and hey dave, that looks interesting. would love to modify that too. how old is it and what are you going to update.

20. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hey dude I can't find any info' online for this machine, I picked it up today and the book that came with it was printed in 1986. I am currently looking on ebay for a 9" ips screen in a 4:3 ratio for it without much luck - now you have extra admiration from me for finding an lcd screen to fit your project !
    Apart from a modern screen I want to swap out the keyboard for a mechanical 60% keyboard, wire up the handset for skype etc, and I have a few mini itx motherboards I can use with atom cpu's ( my current main computer is also a mini itx mb with an intel 4790k so I'm now thinking of upgrading that and putting its internals in this little antique .
    I just hope I can match your skill level when I start gutting the thing.

Arboreal likes this.