1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I mean, a smart politician would put the proviso that seeking EU membership on the moment of leaving the UK as a condition for triggering any means to leave the UK.. Or even just doing that before triggering any independence stuff. Y'know, how the UK should have got its ducks in a row before triggering article 50. Instead of doing the dumb thing and not having a plan for negotiations after A50 was triggered. And having, instead, months of infighting, a general election, and a global embarrassment being made of the country, and its constituents.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I doubt that the EU would refuse membership (although the usual conditions would apply). Some Scots will vote Yes because they're pissed about being dragged out of the EU. Some because they just don't want to be dragged down by England. Some will be hard-core nationalists. Either way, like Brexit, it will be a highly emotive decision, considered worth the consequences.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The SNP have said that they want an independent Scotland to join the EU, but it's not something that they can guarantee, especially if independence was to be declared unilaterally.

I think there's a non-zero probability of the EU refusing to recognise an independent Scotland were independence to be declared without a mandate from the UK. I'm sorry, but I'm really tired tonight and maybe not reading things properly, but I'm not sure what your second sentence onwards is in reply to? There are loads of different reasons for voting Yes but what I was trying to get at was that a large number of swing voters (who voted No last time but have indicated that they would vote Yes now) have changed their mind purely on the basis of EU membership. For that reason, if you're trying to persuade those swing voters to vote Yes in a non-sanctioned referendum then it's very difficult when EU membership is seen to be contingent on doing everything officially and by the book, which means Westminster allowing it.

It might just be that we're talking past each other here, and I apologise if that's the case. It's been a very long day :)

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

there is also a small but not-zero chunk of the SNP for whom independence means being free from both the the UK and EU.

'but it's only a small minority'

...and so was the blukip contingent of the Conserviatives, until it wasn't. And should IndyScot happen, well without the common enemy of westminster to unite them, that could fracture the SNP and/or be the next big political argument in Scotland.

'It's an internal matter for Spain the UK, it's not for the EU to take sides'

5. Nexxo

That's cool; I've had a long day here also, so I am probably less concise and to the point than I could be, now that reminds me come to think of it people often tell me about how I can ramble on but really I think that that's a bit unfair because I am just being comprehensive but anyhow...
    [​IMG]

I'm basically saying (I think) that like with Brexit the vote will be emotive and without much rational consideration about the long-term. With Brexit, people believed that the UK could simply leave the EU. With IndyRef2 people will believe that Scotland can simply join the EU. Even swing voters may now be galvanised by Westminster's antics to just GTFO and hope for the best.

Oh, and more "taking back control": thread unroll.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2020
  6. walle

walle Minimodder

To aim for independence leaving a Union to later join another Union.

Yeah, sounds like a plan.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Of course nothing is guaranteed until the ink is dry (and even then, not unbreakably so) - But if you (The royal you, not you specifically) were to be smart about it I'm sure that an independence referendum with a much more clearly set list of objectives (IE: Yes, we want to try and leave the UK, but on the condition that we can also join the EU in short order) and seeing what ducks can be arranged before pulling your trousers down and farting in the direction of the entity you're trying to gain independence from strikes me as a much more viable route than the UK's Brexit approach. Which appears to have been '**** your pants, trousers down, fart loudly in the EU's direction, pull your pants up, **** yourself again, and trip over the trousers still around your ankles' more so than arranging ducks in any kind of sensible fashion.

Was Brexit destined to be a shitshow? Absolutely. Could it have been less of a shitshow? Also absolutely. But that'd have required some competence and truth from politicians, so.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hmm, it's almost as if you are drawing a false equivalence here. Very unlike you.

Nexxo likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Back to the usual "laugh at the incompetence of Westminster" program for a moment...

The port in Dover won't even be allowed to apply for funds to prepare for Brexshite infrastructure until later this month:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rt-still-awaiting-brexit-infrastructure-funds

10. RedFlames

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hard border confirmed.

In... err, Kent.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Hundreds of posts in this thread regarding Ni, Scotland, Wales, Gibraltar etc regarding borders... then the Govt goes and puts a border in Kent:lol:

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Boris is just on a different level to us all.

14. RedFlames

Last edited: 23 Sep 2020
    Byron C and adidan like this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That pun is perfect. Just... perfect.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh very well done that man. Very well done indeed.

17. Nexxo

[​IMG]

18. walle

walle Minimodder

If it's independence long term I don't see the false equivalence.

Unless of-course, the historical track record and trend of the European Union of gaining more and more influence and control over its member states, changes.

Unions are usually not about less but more. It's the nature of the beast.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It actually gets even funnier if you read the transcript of a Boris speech on 3rd February 2020...

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-speech-in-greenwich-3-february-2020

Last edited: 24 Sep 2020
    adidan likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator