1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

2. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Love the video.

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

haha yes I was remembering it well :D

wyx087 likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The possible reason for crashes and instabilities of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

TLDR; cheap caps at the back of the chip.

21.08.20 on the 12pin power cable leak.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So, AIBs cut corners? Say it isn't so...

6. The_Crapman

I think it's more nvidia spent too much time thinking about it's own design and less time checking the reference design actually worked, plus rushed production and the inability of AIBs to properly test cards without drivers to ensure there were no problems.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

JayzTwoCents dumbs down the info from Igor's Lab for casuals like me:-

Looks like the Asus TUF Gaming or EVGA F T W cards are the ones to go for right now (or wait for the rumoured 20GB 3080s, with hopefully a proper fix for this issue.)

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is why I never buy on release day. I'll wait till we get a refresh next year before buying a 3xxx series card.

liratheal and adidan like this.
  9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Apart from liking value, i've never understood the need to buy on release to be a beta tester. :)

liratheal and Guest-44432 like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The result of Nvidia pretending the 3080 was £649 and vendors trying desperately to meet that price.

The reality? it will be a £750 card. Which if they had just been honest about in the first place wouldn't piss me off so much. But Nvidia telling the truth about anything is like pissing in the wind. They have to apply their hype train to everything.

11. Vault-Tec

Nvidia could well have set an impossible task. IE - meet their £649 card bs and still make a profit. Which when you look around at the half decent cards? seems almost impossible.

12. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

Got the zotac trinity 3090 yesterday finally can play flight sim with a decent frame rate.

IanW, Arboreal, wyx087 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My old 2080 Ti could run it at 60fps at 3840x1600 with a mix of high and ultra settings.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've been considering upgrading to this resolution (from U2711, 2560x1440 monitor). Is it any good? Any compatibility issues? What monitor have you got, may I ask?

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The vast majority of games made on Unreal / Cry / id / Frostbyte in the last decade support it out of the box (as the engines simply provide it out of the box).
    The major problem in modern games is with low budget indie games due to the common use of the Unity engine (developers would have to specifically enable it, not all do), so for example Hollow Knight does not support it.
    There are some exceptions to the above list...
    Some people believe that ultrawide provides a competitive advantage, so some competitive multiplayer shooters force 16:9 down your throat due to that (The most blatant example being Fortnite where ultrawide is supported in pubs but in ranked / tournaments it is disabled).

With games from western publishers you can generally go a bit further back in time and still find support than with games from japanese publishers.
    While Capcom literally set the new gold standard for PC option menus all games must be measured by with the Resi remakes this wasn't always the case with japanese publishers in the past often falling into the trap of extremely restrictive hardcoded resolution lists.
    So when it comes to japanese console ports just get used to black bars on the side.

However once you get back to around the PS2 era of games (and older) you'll find tons not supporting widescreen (not just 32:9 / 21:9 mind you, but also 16:9 / 16:10), with games that old you better hope for .ini hacks, community made patches or get familiar with a Hex Editor to not play at 4:3.
    Even with such old games there are some that do support modern monitors out of the box like for example Everquest, UT99 or Far Cry.

But back to modern games... there will always be some exceptions where it doesn't work right out of the box, for example Fallout 4 requires editing one single line in an .ini file or Assassin's Creed Black Flag requires a community made patch.

Note: All of the above applies to game play only, in cut scenes you'll just have to accept black bars on the sides.

Also on another note:
    While sensitivity to this issue varies hugely from person to person the presence (or absence) of an FOV slider is a bigger deal with Ultrawides than narrow vision monitors for me.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2020
    wyx087 likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Hmm. So I watched Jay's video. Well, I watched Jay repeat what Igor has been saying only in simpler terms.

My mate who sold me his 2080Ti Aorus messaged me this morning saying he has "one of the dodgy cards" which happens to be the Gigabyte 3080 OC. Jay took one apart (the one he had trouble getting apart) and it indeed has the crap phases on. However, my mate has been clocking balls off of his card all day (to make sure he doesn't have a dud) and it works fine. 2020mhz is his best in Port Royal so far.

Soooo, I am beginning to suspect this has little to do with the phases and more to do with **** bin dies. The problem here that I see is no one is able to take those dies off of those cards with "cheap phases" and test them on a card with better ones.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, from my work in electronics it sounds like looking in the wrong direction comparing those caps. If the design didn't work it'd never have been made. It feels like the firmware isn't 100% for the power controller to me.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'll just wait for EVGA 3090 Hydro Copper to become available... that'll put me on the safe side of such teething issues.

19. The_Crapman

I've seen that people are getting different cap types on the same card model. Whether that's because they're struggling to make them quick enough so are just shoving whatever they have in there, or that they realised what was wrong part way into production and switched is unknown.

Edit: now known, evga confirming it's kind of both but more the latter

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

So it's actually the expensive longer lasting caps that cause the issue.

You couldn't make this up LOL.