1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Section 19.1 of the race directors note reads exactly what Hamilton did, so I’m still confused why there was a penalty - ambiguous rules as usual.

enbydee likes this.
  2. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Ah right sorry my bad, thought it was a Saturday session. I can still understand his difference in reaction to Ricciardo though given he asked his team what he was doing was OK and got the affirm.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yellow arrow is "on the right-hand side after the pit exit lights". The Red arrow is where Hamilton did his practice start. While you can argue on technicalities that the red arrow spot is also fitting that definition, so does the whole racetrack. Hamilton actually tried the yellow spot, and decided he didn't like it because of all the rubber (from the all other cars doing practice starts there, go figure).
    [​IMG]
    The spot is identified by the video from F1.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

There are only 2 places where you could effectively carry out a practice start without blocking the pitlane, and that's the areas you have marked - yellow arrow and the red arrow. The red arrow is still in the pit lane area.
    He tried something a little different, which was within the written wording of the rules.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Only if you stretch the meaning of the words to the extreme. "on the right-hand side after the pit exit lights" for any reasonable person means within few meters of pit exit lights, not 200 meters down the pit exit.

But i guess it is typical of F1 teams/drivers to try to find any hole/ambigious meaning in every rule.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Ouch, does that leave Redbull high and dry?

8. javaman

Can't see Merc having capacity to give them an engine, Renault might be possible as they have capacity and have improved, tho they nuked that bridge on the way out. Ferrari would also be unlikely but stranger things have happened.

I can see them splitting between Renault and Ferrari while trying to entice a new manufacturer.

Would Honda continue to supply them with old engines that they mod themselves but is that even a thing? More likely they pack up and leave themselves IMO

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just coming here to share. Massive, massive shock. Renault right now:

If I were Red Bull, I'd be negotiating with Porsche/Cosworth and Honda for themto take over the engine development with some financial compensation going Honda's way. Probably also have to allow them to retain any rights to the technologies and patents developed for the F1 program.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2020
  10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Renault should have capacity with McLaren moving to Merc units next season, like you said as to if they have burnt that bridge remains to be seen.
    Ferrari likely have capacity, but if I had the choice I would go with a Renault unit given both works an customer Renaults are quicker than works or customer Ferraris are slower.

Honda could licence the units to be produced an the RBR tweak them, again not sure RBR would want to.

I'm sure there was some change made where by the FIA can basically force an engine supplier to supply a PU if there's no willing suppliers? I may be wrong, seem to recall it last time we had a similar situation which ironically was RBR.
    I miss AT solely as in the past they have had Ferrari PU's so I would imagine they will take what ever is available.

Porsche/Cosworth to me is a bit of a stretch, but in theory possible, with AM returning as a team and the slightly lower entry costs and budget caps it may be possible to tease a VW arm in somewhere.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So Honda look like they're getting decent... and then bail... again...

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2020
  12. javaman

I thought that too but would love to see how it plays out. Technically they could give a year or two old engine to meet that.

What are the chances Aston Martin try to build something. RP, AT and RB would potentially make it worth while.

Realistically noone is going to build a new engine with the current rules. Time and cost to catch up isnt worth it, yet changing the rules to attract more manufacturers then you loose the current 3 who have invested so much

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even if you could convince Cosworth or VW to, given the engineering complexities and lead times involved, probably already missed the boat for getting something ready for 2022.

14. legoman

Yeah there is far far to much going into these now, when they were just ICU's it was easier to just build a very good V8/10/12 now there is so much more to it. Plus they will look at how long it took Honda to catch up an just nope out of it.

15. javaman

16. legoman

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Typical Honda, from total failure to partial failure to running away with their tail between their legs, just like 90s and the 00s. Maybe they'll spend more time sorting out that widow maker of a Moto GP bike they built.
    As the rules stand no, if RB/AT can't agree a deal with a supplier in time they will have to buy Renault engines. The current rules are that if a team can't find an engine supplier on it's own, the supplier with the fewest teams must provide. Since Merc will be 4, Ferrari 3 and Renault 1, it will be Renault.

The irony that these rules were written as a result of the very acrimonious split between Red Bull and Renault is probably lost on Horner and Marko, but definitely not on Abiteboul. Renault will be laughing, their F1 budget is set to expand a good $30million at the end of 2021 unless Red Bull perform a miracle.

I bet Dani Ric's pretty happy now, Mclaren must be in for a shout at race wins in 2022, maybe even 2021.

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That why they'd need to pull the existing honda tech from them with any kind of deal they can get. Going back to Renault would be such a pie in the face I think Helmut Marko would commit seppuku at the 2021 Japanese GP.

19. javaman

We can all dream....after all, Honda - "The power of Dreams"

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Christ, I'd cough up for a Sky sports subscription to see that.

The_Crapman likes this.