1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mic recommendation for phone

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 30 Sep 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I need a microphone to improve the sound quality when recording video on my phone (pixel 4). After shooting some more footage for a final competition video, the picture quality is great (especially when shot in 4k) but the sound is what you'd expect when having to project your voice 6ft to a microphone meant for picking up sound 6mm away.

Given the poor acoustics of the rooms I'd be filming in it's probably better to have a lapel mic. I had found this usb-c lavalier mic on Amazon. If anyone has any suggestions of one's they've used that's be much appreciated.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dunno what your budget is, but rather than tethering yourself to the phone with a whackin' gert cable, I'd suggest picking up a cheap voice recorder you can shove in your pocket. You don't have to spend a fortune: this is the modern version of what I use for interviews, and it's under £40. Then get a 3.5mm-jack lavalier with a cable long enough to reach the recorder tucked into your jeans pocket and you're golden.

Oh, just remember to clap your hands at the start before beginning the scene - makes it easy to sync up the audio and video afterwards.

EDIT:
    Link now working on the *third* try. Stupid thing.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2020
    The_Crapman likes this.
  3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I bought something similar to this for my parents to use in zoom meetings and it seems to work fine for human chitchat. If you do go with the lapel mic, just watch it doesn't rub against your shirt, as I hear that causes headphone users to drop dead.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I did not think of that. Could knock up a clack board for fun too. Budget will be determined by however much money I have when I'll need to get it, which is uncertain at this time. About £40-50 should be doable though.