1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Remember that Nvidia already makes and sells Arm CPUs: the Shield family and Switch are Nvidia Arm chips, Tesla's in-car system was Nvidia Arm for a while, and its Jetson family of products are Arm-based systems for the embedded market - up to and including industrial and robotic use, plus autonomous vehicles. You can even buy a Raspberry Pi-like version to play with at home.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No where near the cost difference! Its actually been quite a barrier for my industry as our clients suddently didn't want CNN based systems as it just wasn't worth the cost any more!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, the bulk - I imagine, I have nothing but supposition to back this up - will be volume. Nvidia sells a lot more entry-to-mid-range gamer cards than top-end server accelerators. (Especially now the TOP500 list has started to go "hey, if you have enough CPU cores you don't need accelerators" - which, handily, Nvidia will be providing if the Arm purchase goes through...)

And profit, of course. Can't forget profit.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, I think they looked at how Xeons were stacked and thought 'Well, if Intel can do this, why can't we?' Its coming back again with he reported driver limitations in the 3090 to force prople into the 'professional' cards -_- So now we need to watch and wait at work because we're not going to buy anything till we know CNN training rates! Its not something I've seen any coverage of in the normal review channels unfortunately!

Osgeld likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

1x 3090 too affordable?

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Not being aware of the prices, I watched that video and thought that some of the performance hike was pretty good.

Then he mentioned $1500 extra. Hummm. No.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3070 has been delayed to a day after AMD graphics card announcement. I wonder why........

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Looks like many are getting the "email of shame" from OCUK ATM.

We're contacting you regarding your recent order for the following item:

MSI GeForce RTX Graphics Card

Unfortunately, due to high demand and very limited allocations, your recent order for the MSI Graphics Card has had to be cancelled.

We are sorry for the disappointment this will cause. We’d like to make up for the inconvenience by giving you 20% OFF your next order with us - simply enter XXXXXXXXXXX at the checkout by 31.12.20.

Just so you know, it’s valid for one use only, excludes Financial Services products, delivery/installation charges and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer code.

We hope this gives a little reassurance that we value you as a customer and we look forward to you shopping with us again soon.

TBH on this one I have no idea. Obviously my first thought would be no cards to actually sell (as they have said in their rear end of a cow statement today). However, could it be because they are worried AMD will splat the 3070 with something better and will have to up the spec?

I guess the latter is wishful thinking.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I dopubt they'll up the spec but they'll probably reduce the price...

11. Vault-Tec

Their comment today (Nvidia).

Production of GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards are ramping quickly. We’ve heard from many of you that there should be more cards available on launch day. To help make that happen, we are updating the availability date to Thursday, October 29th.

We know this may be disappointing to those eager to purchase a GeForce RTX 3070 as soon as possible, however this shift will help our global partners get more graphics cards into the hands of gamers on launch day.

The GeForce RTX 3070 delivers incredible performance and features, including NVIDIA Reflex and Broadcast, for $499. Across a variety of ray-traced and rasterized DirectX and Vulkan titles, the GeForce RTX 3070 delivers similar or faster performance than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (which sold for twice the price) and is on average 60% faster than the original GeForce RTX 2070.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So a bunch of other stuff will go out of stock because people are going to buy things they don't need just to flog it on ebay... Genius.

13. Vault-Tec

TBH I am finally starting to see issues with OCUK and their stock. Water cooling stuff is like rocking horse poo. Usually as it vanishes they replenish it, but I guess they just haven't had the shipments in.

That said I am a tight git and I usually head straight for their bargain area LOL.

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Now here's something you didn't know about the cunning green team...

So when Nvidia claim that Ampere this is the biggest generation leap of all time, clearly not when you see this chart.

[​IMG]

A must watch;

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

No comment on ampere but there was a 680 after the 580 though so the 100% is a little off.

16. Vault-Tec

If you watch the video you will understand why. The 680 was not a flagship top end GPU. He is not using it because it was mid range silicon. That's why there's no 980, 1080 etc.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Why Nvidia went with Samsung 8nm and not the more efficent TSMC 7nm.

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Because TSMC is already running at capacity with AMD, Apple and Huawei.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Jesus Christ, the clickbait titles of these videos are sooooooo bad :grin: "Nvidia's Dumbest Decision" :grin: What a load of shite.

Bloody_Pete and yuusou like this.
  20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

When reading more into this and getting further info on this. Nvidia's move to Samsung was to try and get a better price with TSMC, but as always with Nvidia, they screw over their partners, and stuck it out with Samsung, when they signed the deal back in 2018.

Titles are what they are, but that is not why I watched this video. The point is, you will have a better understanding of what and how Nvidia has played us all with the BS marketing of "twice the performance" over last gen BS. Especially when you now have well over 320+ Watts of heat from a single GPU, heating up your PC and room. That is a massive power draw! - Especially if you have a 80% efficient PSU, which puts the power draw at the wall at 400+ Watts just for a GPU!

My previous watercooled system with a 2080 Ti and 9900K would draw around 430W under load.