1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces RTX A6000 and A40

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Oct 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

TBH I expect it to come in closer to the RTX6000's RRP [$6k iirc], with an A8000 with a ridiculous amount of VRAM to come later. If the new one was intended to be the range topper i think nv would've numbered it accordingly.

I mean it still ain't gonna be cheap, and if the price bothers you even a teensy little bit you're probably not the target audience for it, but i can't see it being the £10k that the Tesla A100 is.

3. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Nvidia seem to have killed off all their branding except Geforce. Quadro - Gone, Titan - Gone, Tesla - Gone (Although understandably).

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

@1:03 something looks familiar

5. RedFlames

One thing that has me slightly perplexed is the 2 [what look like] threaded holes at the end of the card... wonder if it's for some kind of stabilisation bracket or something, but they're present and in the same place on both cards

[​IMG]

EDIT: Another minor annoyance but... the nvidia logo is gonna be upside down when you put that card in most systems.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2020
  6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, that is so a bracket can be attached to provide the card extra support. Different length/height and/or adjustable brackets can be attached, depending on the case. Years ago I picked up a refurbed quad GPU server and the cards all had extra brackets attached.

All the rackmount cases I've seen would have the cards vertical, rather than horizontal. It's interesting that they're a single 8-pin, though. The RTX8000's were dual 8-pin. The apparently crazy power requirements for "consumer" Ampere makes me wonder how these stack up.

7. RedFlames

They're not PCI-E 8-pin...they're EPS [CPU] 8-pin

Thought so, and i've seen cards with that kind of thing attatched... just first time I've ever noticed those holes...

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

So 235w (continuous) max, rather than 150w. OK, that makes a little more sense. Even so that's still max 310w. Like I said, the RTX8000 had two PCI-E 8-pin, so max was 375w... and those suckers could easily pull that much down, as well if loaded right (or wrong...).

To be fair, often in the past they were just a reinforced metal frame strapped to the PCB, rather than integrated into the shroud.

Tags: Add Tags