1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That's something that really does annoy me about the phone manufacturers. I used to have a Pixel 2 XL, great phone and being a Google phone ran pure Android and would get updates as soon as they were released. It got updated to Android 11 about a week before I got my new Samsung S20 Ultra (wasn't bothered about the Pixel 5 as currently no XL version and not as high on the specs - if I am having a phone for 3 years I want to start with as good as I can get) and now I am back on Android 10 whilst Samsung dick around with adding and removing bits, and THEN I need to wait for O2 to do their tweaking too.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Do the updates add big things? Don't even know what version my phone runs. How would I find out what I may be missing?

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

S'why I cancelled my Pixel 5 order, my May 2018 Pixel 2 XL still works perfectly and is as up to date as an up to date thing

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No, the butcher doesn't limit payments. The bill was 60 quid, no problem with Apple pay.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I took it as a humorous implication that the butcher was too expensive?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Don't buy a Samsung washing machine. :miffed:

Two years old and the drum/door seal almost completely disintegrated and pissed water out all over the kitchen.

Samsung weren't interested - "it's over two years old, so you've got to expect some wear and tear". Yeah, which is why the indesits we've had for the previous twenty-odd years never once had that problem, you smug tw@t.

I got a replacement on Amazon for £30 and fitted it yesterday - not difficult, but you have to take the top and front of the machine off to access it, and you need three hands to fit the retaining band. I have better things to do on my day off.

It's the **** you attitude that pissed me off.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Our last machine was a Zanussi, never leaked a drop past it's door seal in 12 years. We only replaced it when it dumped it's water from somewhere underneath and we decided not to spend money on fixing it. After some research into which brands are most reliable, we bought an LG, faultless so far, although only 2 years old.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I had to replace the drum seal in our Ecobubble after a rogue underwire bra did a can opener impression on it; it is indeed an awkward knuckle scraper of a job.

enbydee likes this.
  9. David

Yeah, my knuckles were perfectly pink and tender, after scraping them around the concrete weights, whilst fitting that bloody inner retaining band.

It's a **** design - that seal is a **** for capturing smalls.

10. David

Nothing leaked past the door - that part of the seal was perfect. The folds in the inner part of the seal practically crumbled so water pissed out around the outer drum.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

D'you know, you're the second person in a week to say that. Guess it's definitely a brand to avoid!
    There's a trick for that: remove the door lock mechanism and shove a screwdriver through the hole, then use that to hold the band in place while you get the other side on.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nah.
    But between, apply pay, the bank, google wallet, and the vendor, there are multiple points where an artificial limit could be placed upon a payment method at any point, at any time, with no reason and without notification, which could theoretically be unlimited.
    I'd not be making any decisions on changing bank or phone based upon their ability to use contactless payment.

I really must look at putting my cards into my google wallet.
    (edit) well that was painless, look at me getting all 21st century

Last edited: 7 Oct 2020
  13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I would heartilly recommend Bosch appliances; we've had our washing machine for coming up to 10 years, and only just had to have it serviced and the pump replaced, primarily i suspect as we put it into storage and it wasnt used for ~2-3months.
    Our tumble dryer has also served us well, having just passed its 5 year mark, but also looks to need a new pump.

Our fridge/freezer was also Bosch and that has also served us well for 10years, bit of an issue in the last few months with icing up under the veg drawer, but nothing a cleanout of the drain didnt fix. We have replaced it (for a mahoosive Haier), only because SWMBO wanted more space... so it was donated to the In-Laws to replace their aging cheapo-one.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've had mine six years and I really like it, it's done a lot of work for us. It's given me zero gyp.

(falling to a brassiere it really cannot be blamed for)

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's pretty good: my Indesit lasted six before the drain pump went. Could have fixed it with a replacement pump, I'm willing to bet, but I was in a rush and just bought a Hotpoint replacement. The new one's a lot better: much, much quieter, more useful wash cycles, and the drying mode seems to do a better job than the last one.

Dunno how long it'll last, mind - and it has an annoying habit of leaving a surprising amount of water in the detergent drawer when it's finished. I even tried adjusting the feet at the front to give it a little backwards tilt; didn't help.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Despite my earlier post when I was annoyed, the decision was already made.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I can second Bosch for longevity. We had ours for 8+ years before somebody (maybe even one of us, we just don't know) must've walked against the door and bent something. It just wouldn't fully close anymore. Too expensive to repair, replaced it with a new cheap one by .... Chinesium or something. Let's see how long this one'll work.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Cool, but there's nothing to say you won't face the exact same issue down the road a ways.

19. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I used to work for a fridge repair company and can count on one hand the number of calls we had to repair a Bosch. Was never sure if it was just because they were a bit more expensive so a lot fewer were purchased than Beko et al, but other reports seem positive.

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Collected a bunch of stuff on Monday, all really good easy sellers, loads of watchers on everything but nothing is moving quickly... well one thing did for £20...

Thats disappointing as a further auction is tomorrow and theirs some real golden nuggets that would yield some seriously nice profit, a good portion of the lots happen to be precious metal jewellery (not what I'm interested in) but nestled in between is a pair of Technics SL-1210MK2. Very poorly photographed, mixed lot of what appears to be utter crap in a couple flight cases. cases were closed but I could see it must have been something interesting because I could see a Vestax mixer in the background so contacted the auction house to investigate

After quite the dialogue of explaining to the woman over the phone how to open a recessed butterfly latch, trying to get more information than "looks like a record player to me" she eventually sent me a picture which quite clearly showed the model... I was worried she might upload the picture to the auction catalogue or add the model number seeming I'd been so insistent on knowing what they were but she hasn't.

I'd be naive in thinking I'm the only one who's curious and has asked for further details of that lot and I'm sure it'll get bid way out of my reach but I will be watching intently to see if its worth temporarily pulling out the credit card for.