1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage workshop (garage conversion)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman, 16 Jul 2020.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking good. You want garage cleaning woes? :lol: I just broke up 14 sheets of old drywall that got humid and rubbery from years of storage. In order to get rid of it, I have to smash it into tiny bits, bag less than 20 pounds of it, and put it in a can. At this rate I'll have it removed by the end of the year. I still haven't found space for 7 ceiling fans that were 'gifted' to us, and there's a washer and dryer inbound.
    Currently rockin' 4 steam cleaners, a floor sander, power washer, and 5 vacuums. I can't give vacs away fast enough...

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Can't give vacs away fast enough? Man that sucks.

Back OT - I like what you've done with the place, @legoman

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I see what you did there ;)

An thanks, planning a rather complex unit. Kind of a take on crossing an old school desk, the type with the hinged top and a folding bureau.
    So the top will be split into two sections, both of which have a hinge to fold back this will reveal tools an what not in a recess about 70mm deep.
    Below this on the left side will be a false cover with a push to open magnetic closure an behind that a pull out work tray. Found some rather beefy rollers rated to 40kg, reasons will become clear why shortly.

Right side of the pull out tray will be a draw with more tools.

Now, runners for the work tray are full extension so that means about 40cm. Reason they are so heavy duty. Well I'm going to have the option to mount either a wheel truing stand which isn't that heavy couple of kilos. Or my very old 15kg bench vise.
    Now both will be on bench hooks which I'll secure with some form of quick release, the vise if soley there for light work, if I need to bash something I have a 5" Vish mounted on a bench for that.
    Though said bench may end up being replaced at this rate.

4. legoman

Update time

Finally had some OK weather, as in no high winds or driving rain, so actually got some work done!

Mainly been focusing on one side of the workshop as you've seen. Still more going on there in the future but for now, I'm shifting focus to sort out some organisation.

Now, I have already done a bit, I made a very stout unit for the tool chest

[​IMG]

Which is great, really tough thing.

Beside it is now, this

[​IMG]

So simple bench unit with some racking and then a quick skin of coated hardboard to make it look nicer

This is were it gets more tricky, so previous post I mentioned various extras, well first part has begun. Now I am using mainly scrap wood here, the top I'm not super pleased with the finish, not overly visible in the photos but more so in person (the tops are actually two side panels from an old chest of draws, which is also where the hardboard came from and the bottoms of the tray in the below photo.
    The racking I already had that was due to go on the wall, but I still have more if I want to. The only things i bought were the 2X3 timber, the screws (mainly 5X60mm with some 5X100mm as well) and the hinges, which I need more of, currently only one part of this whole thing hinges.

[​IMG]

Now, in terms of a proof of concept, perfect does what I need an I can make do for now. But I will change it out for something better quality, I'm learning still end of the day. Debating a finish to the frame, if the tops re done it'll be 12mm ply so I can do a coating then.

Next build job is smaller an will go to the left of this. It will only be about 50cm in height nothing fancy going on there, well yet at least!

I mentioned more in the future. Now the problem I have in there is space, a lack of. The racking panel I put up for the tools is good, it holds the tools in an easy to grab manner, same with the sanding station. But, since I built the sanding station, I've picked up another sander, so I have a detail and a random orbit, plus there's a half sheet somewhere too.
    So, currently debating whipping down all that's there and making something better, Currently I have a rack with all my large screws just on the back of my wood branch, its not any use there an gets in the way doing large work.
    Going to do some brainstorming but working round the concept of this.

[​IMG]

Also cramming in a saw till in so to compact the saw storage, currently have about six, but only space for four.
    As you can see, lots to work out here, The slide track they have done I think is just out of the wood, I would probably track it properly just for longevity.
    My only snag here is if I rebuild it to take in the existing rack and the sanding station, I would have to negotiate some cabling. not too had just have to ensure I space off the wall and notch out where needed
    Existing sandpaper I have a possible solution for that which should be a lot slimmer, but its not a super important thing currently

neSSa, Cheapskate, MadGinga and 2 others like this.
  5. Cheapskate

That peg board covered cabinet would be SO full of yellow jackets here. :lol: I was never a fan of peg board since it fills up really fast. Blow molded cases accumulate the same way. I'd go for maximizing floor space and run a shelf all the way to the ceiling.
    Desk is looking great. :thumb:
    Ceiling: I had a relative that had a drop-down train set using pulleys, cable, and a locking crank. I can see your blow-molded case plague going up there.

6. legoman

Thanks more to do on the desk though.

Blow mould boxes I do hate. only ones I have are, mains drill, mains planer (never actually tried it), a heavy duty impact gun (1/2 450nm) and a case of drill bits.
    I am hoping once I make the last unit I can put three of them in there as I rarely need them an some other odds an ends, then I'll be able to use it for something else at some point.

Once thats built an the bikes all stowed I can focus on the blue bench which is just a dumping ground currently.
    Idea is the top will be for the bench drill and grinder, with some storage for drill bits etc, underneath needs sorting its currently bike parts which need storing properly.

On the pegboard, I'm not a fan either its not very good in terms of storage density, I'm considering the above mainly so I can get the bulk of my daily tools away and ideally some clamp storage, currently they just sit on the wood bench or on stand up on the floor.

I'm going to have to work out what's wrong with with the red bench, none of the draws or cupboard appear to close properly they no longer line up, I'm not sure if its the uneven floor, or the bowed top, or both but something is really out, legs are all adjustable so long spanner an lots of cursing ahead. While it doesn't rock I think its just bowing to the shape of the floor currently.
    If it is ruined (hope not) then I'll have to grab some timber quick in case we stumble back into a lockdown. I have some timber for framing but would need more but its the top an shelving I'd need. If it is then I may just replace the blue unit at the same time and make a 2400LX600DX900H unit, which would prove interesting to say the least.

Plus side I could go mental on the custom work, would possibly mean I could integrate the chop saw though an I could make use of the dead space under the wood bench :worried:

7. Cheapskate

Are the red cabinet drawers caster rails or metal angle rails? Some of the bearing casters for those can get out of track if you pull them completely out and don't get them together exactly right. Then again, if it has leveling feet, it might be case flex.
    Chop saws are best free-range. It's easier to prop up the end of a long stick you need to cut by using it on the floor too. :lol:

8. legoman

I can't remember to be honest, seen lots of reviews where people complain about them or just upgrade them.
    Had a mess around with it earlier it does seem better the floor is very out which wont help matters. Depending on what happens with the other end I may move it down there and make my own as mentioned, lots of clearing out etc though is needed.

Chop saw could still be whipped off easily enough I can just chuck in some insert nuts an bolt it down. still all pie in the sky though got to sort the other side first an get the bikes up an away.

9. legoman

Little update no images more confirming of furniture shuffling, plus I get to build another unit which actually solves an issue for me.

So, small change, moving the blue storage rack an swapping it for one of the brown ones, its a little higher but otherwise the same, benefit being it is a bit lower so can not only be closer to the garage door but also means the top shelf is usable for smaller items.

Larger change though, the smaller blue work bench is moving to the end of the garage, solves a few issues and creates some nice storage.
    Once that goes I'll move the red bench down, an probably change the top at the same time, ill notch out the back to wrap around the centre brick support pillar.
    That will allow me to make a replacement but importantly I can leave the right side open so I can actually use the currently wasted space that is under the wood bench, you can kind of get to it but its not exactly easy.
    From the plan I have for the bench the space is something like 680X605 under there so a pretty decent amount of space under there so I can easily chunk up a shelf an store some of the larger less used tools which frees up some much needed space. May try some fun bits on the bench to make it more useful, I will need to draw up some designed closer to the time once I work out exactly the space available but it should be 900mm in length as that's what is there currently.

One bit I'm not super happy with is the wall storage of the bikes, its quite messy with two on the main hook and another hanging from the wall by its wheels. bit of a squeeze but should be possible to refine it. Possibly using the space over the red unit if space allows to hang a bike wheels off, do also need dust covers for the bike sanding recently coated them all in a nice layer of sawdust which also highlighted a rather important need for proper dust extraction which is something I am looking into (mmm Festool).

More soon hopefully

10. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

This may be difficult to describe, but I'll try:
    For the bike, if you are comfortable lifting it over your head, you could store it horizontally by putting a small shelf (say 6-8" deep) on the wall that is long enough to support both wheels, and then install a typical garage bike hook at the same or slightly higher level to hold the frame. So when lifting the bike, you will put both wheels onto the shelf, then pull the bike slightly back to put the frame onto the hook. So basically the bike ends up horizontal above your head/workspace/wherever, parallel to the ceiling. Also, you can install a light onto the bottom of the shelf to provide light that is not blocked by the bike.

legoman likes this.
  11. legoman

Yeah that makes sense, I have plenty of those hooks so I can certainly have a look into it, I have a bare frame and a spare wheelset I can lob on to get a bike shape so to speak.
    Thanks for that always nice to have alternative ideas

12. legoman

Some progress! But also some bad news.

Bad news first, appears I have some wet coming in, looks like there's a literal hole in the wall, or least one maybe more so plan is rake out the mortar along the bottom row of bricks, its in bad shape, redo that an then slap on some waterproofing paint, also do the outside as well an slap the waterproofing on. I can leave it for now but its going to need doing.
    Also the red workbench was a total bag of phallus today. I had purchased some replacement timber for the top, pair of 18mm thick sheets of ply as the centre was bowing.

Looking at it properly cause of the bow is pretty clear. so the way its designed only the edge actually have any support meaning it will always bow, you have the drawers below which only tie into the bottom of the wood so again that pull down. That along with me having stuff on top means it doesn't go well.
    So I have replaced the ply with some new stuff in order to do so I had to remove the drawers, again more bad news the welds on the drawer fronts are breaking up and also two of the runners pretty much exploded when I took the drawer out so got to work out what I'll do with the gap underneath

Good news, I moved the existing stuff around shunted the smaller bench down the other end for the parent (shes happy).
    Does now mean I have a large hole to put things in, observe, a hole!

[​IMG]

Plan with said hole is to fill it, gap is 94cm long so a smidge longer than I expected (I'd planned on 90cm meh, more space is nice?).
    Going raise up the top on the red bench by 4cm so it matches the wood working bench. Means I get a nice 2.7M long continuous bench.
    Also on the red bench to give it some support an prevent it bowing in future I'll put a baton on the wall for the back to sit on an then an iron bar (or something equally inflexible) closer to the front. I may see if I can pack in a couple of bracing bits of wood in the centre too, seeing as the draws are effectively trash now I can do that an then just sort some draws later (I have some ideas).

Unit going in will be a little interesting from a construction point of view, mainly as its only going to have two or three legs, in the image you can just see lower right the existing bench, which I will literally be bolting it into it.
    I will have to construct it in situ from the bottom up so I can bolt the bottom in then work up an bolt in the tops then slap on the tops. I some 8mm thick bolts which as 120mm long which is handy, just some thick washers to go on an happy days.

Obviously there's going to be some seams, I can bridge though with something similar to what's used to join two worktops in a kitchen, I'll just router a slot to have them seamless, unless I can fathom something else.

I may also tie in the red bench to the new bench, if I do it'll be a simple baton an bolt affair so I can take them out as needed to get behind an sort the mortar work for example.

I also have to paint said new bench black to match, an also apply a finish to the new bench tops. An I will add a trim to the back of all the units to stop things falling down them, that will just be some strips of wood an tacked in place.

Sorry it's another very wordy update with not much actual work but it is getting there.

13. Cheapskate

Broken welds: Angle aluminum and pop rivets.
    In my experience, any water getting in is from the outside landscaping being too close to the level of the foundation. Hell, I had a house where they dammed up the drain points and rain was running through the garage. I had to dig out the two bottom rows of brick.
    :worried: You just reminded me I need to trench around my living room again.

14. legoman

That's a plan, I'll go nose around with the spade pretty sure its too high. I'll still sort the mortar wont take to long to do.

15. legoman

Sooooo

I did a thing today

[​IMG]

Off out tomorrow to find something for the edging raw edge ply is not ideal. Overall though very please d few cockups by me but it works I had all the machinery on it an was still able to sit on it, so strength is not an issue.

Next up, fit the pegboard to the wall, swap the shelf with the stereo on it for one which also holds screws. An work out how I can fit a draw under the unit.

16. legoman

Did some bits over the weekend.

Bike stowage solution was a bit crap to say the least. So, I made some bespoke solutions using, a ladder hook, a piece of 2X3 and 1X4.
    The bikes hang from bike travel bars with chain holders through the rear drop outs so a strong part of the bike.
    The two pieces off wood together raise the chainrings off the wall as well while the bikes hang from the hook and lean on the more pale piece of timber.
    The two bits of timber are just secured using a pair of 4X50mm screws as they are not load bearing. the wall hook screws pass through the 1X4 into the wall with a pair of 5X80mm masonry screws.

I will take them down at some point an tart them up, I'll notch out a run where the bottom bracket shells touch the wood an fit some nice felt padding, sand an smooth the wood an treat it, may play with the hooks, they are steel with some form of coating, either brass it of bluing, latter being much more easy

[​IMG]

Below I have managed to cram two of those black drawer units on top of each other, they actually snap together which is great an frees up a lot of space on the shelving beside it.

Not shown as it wasn't up at the time is my HipLok Ankr, just waiting on the chain to go between them. An the alarm going in as well at some point soon.

17. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Is that Ti i spot? got a lovely stable!

18. legoman

Indeedy, PlanetX Spitfire.

I have been nosing at things I can do to the hook, either bluing or brass coating it I think. Wood ill bung on some Danish oil probably then a light varnish over it, the contact area will be felt coated so it will be safe from being dented.