1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wifi or Homeplugs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 12 Oct 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Homeplug if CAT-5e isn't an option. Latency is lower and connection more stable. My main tip for home plugs is to get the passthrough type and don't use them in extensions (the surge protection can nerf the speed).

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

From what I've tested on my phone the wifi is 8ms and the homeplug is 9ms, so there's not really much in it in terms of latency!

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Interesting, my experience (not tested!) is that its jut more stable latency. My WIFI connection from a reasonable quality router can still hang every now and then but the homeplugs keep on trucking. I also got some wifi enabled homeplugs for reaching the difficult places in the house but the models I got seems a bit flakey on the WIFI part.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Av1000 probably won't do it, you'll want to look at av2000, I have gone through many generations of Powerline, my current 2Gb connectors do ~300Mb over reasonable distance.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa9020p-kit/v3/

or devolo magic 2 wifi if you want to boost wifi too

My wireless does a pretty good job of hitting max speeds also but I still find powerline provides more reliable no dropout VPN experience.

How are you checking your latencies, I assume that is over the internet and not device latency as something would be up with your powerline as device latency pinging to router should as no more than 2ms but yes I find latency is lower through wifi than powerline by about 1ms)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Echo everyone else, I found homeplug to be more reliable for gaming than Wifi, especially at locations that doesn't have near perfect wifi reception.

I upgraded from AV200 to these, no idea of their rated speed. https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-connector-kit-087372-CMS2.html
    AV200 was able to get steady ~30Mbps from computer to router for VR streaming on Quest. Those ones give me 80Mbps according to same VR streaming app. Steam downloads at over 130 Mbps on Openreach 150 Mbps FTTP.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

2000 Mbps homeplugs are only giving 300 Mbps? That's appalling - over what kind of distance?

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, its not a far distance at all, a few metres, but too far (and awkward) for an ethernet run
    Yeah, homeplugs are a bit fast and look with their speeed ratings, its very dependant on your ring main setup and wire quality, which is impossible to know. This is why I'm tempted to go for Wifi and be done with it.

It was to Googles Speedtest, so the total ping to a london based server from Brisol!
    Yeah, this again is what steers me away from homeplugs, they're so hit and miss for speeds! It'll be £50+ for devent homeplugs while for that price I can get the top of the range wifi dongle which I know will work!

I know right. It really depennds on wiring quality and if the two systems are on different rings as they'll be passing through surge protection in the fuse box!
    Unfortunately I can't use internal expansion cards due to the horizontal GPU holder I use! So wifi dongles only!

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Any solid walls to make Wifi difficult?

Do you have Android phone? Worth installing Wifi scanning app of some sort and see the signal strength at your planned antenna location.

If you install the GPU the normal way ;)

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's more complicated than that as its down to house setup, I sit a few metres from router (no more than 3m I don't think), but I am in an extension so sit on the outside wall, I get no wifi and powerline only does 100-130mb, but ground floor to second and third 30 odd metres away can get 300Mb, I have faster Internet in my detached garage at the bottom of the garden than in my office, it's criminal

Still powerline for me always trumps WiFi, tried orbi mesh in place of powerline, no joy, really I need to wire, nothing beats that. In fact now I have sky q I have repeaters all around the house for the minis, the sky guy kept installing them as he couldn't provide Signal around the house and refused to use my infrastructure, so its not just me, powerline wins.

I have some old AV1000 you could try as you're in Bristol, probably not too much of a hassle to pop around and borrow if you drive? Aztec West or Downend way.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2020
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, the above latency (plus speeds of 150-170Mbs) were on my phone sat at my desk, and my PC would be a bit closer! So its looking like the best option for the money so far...
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't drive and thats a quiet far with the fun of Covid... -_-

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you are getting good wifi then it probably is the best option, I have tried wifi so many times, I think the only way I will win with wifi is doing some pre wiring with some ubiquity gear dotted around but the moment I have to plan to wire one bit I may as well plan the whole house.

No worries, probably for the best I just check the adaptors and realized I sold on the Av1000 and the ones I keep around to cover a hardware failure are only Av600 :eek: :D

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hahahaha, always the way!

Yeah, I'm actually surprised networking isn't more of a ting with house making, would be fairly simple to do it at that stage when they're doing all of the other wirinng and would make eeverything so so much easier! But then that would mean the Internet being treated like the essential utility it is rather than a luxury...

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Went for the TP-Link Archer T9UH as it was £40 and should be better than my phone. I've checked the wifi density where I live and on 5GHz its just my Virgin router (I'm litterally the first person in my area to get it installed), so I have the air to myself for now! Even if its congested its a few meters through a partition wall with no pipes or electrics! I'll update when it comes!

wyx087 likes this.
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Update: got it today, just setup, downloads have increased from 30-40 to 217Mbs and upload has increased from 0.5 to 20Mbs!!! Latency is 9ms. All in all really good, and needed no drivers so seamless too!

Arboreal likes this.
  17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Can you plug the extension into the passthrough on the Homeplug and get away with it that way?

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, its the surge protection circuitry that can reduce the effectiveness of the home plug