1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is this a good time to build a new gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knarF, 29 Sep 2020.

1. knarF

knarF Noob

I'm trying to decide what to buy going into the next generation. I could get a PS5 and a new TV or a new gaming PC. I think I'd prefer a new PC first and to wait for more games to arrive for the PS5 but I have a concern that because a new console generation is about to arrive this is a bad time to be investing in a new PC.

My concern is that I'll spend my budget on something (currently thinking i5 10600k, Z490 mobo, RTX 2070 super, 27" 1440p 144hz monitor build, comes to ~£1300) that's just what I want now, but in a few months the new consoles will cause a jump in quality in games and my shiny new PC won't even be up to running them as well as the consoles, which I could have bought for half the price.

So is the beginning of a new console generation a bad time to start a new build?

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

For me it would come down to the games, if the only games you plan on playing are ones you can get on console and work nicely with a controller, then yeah I'd probably wait as no point spending more on a gaming pc just to play console games. If getting a PC means you'll get to play lots of games you wouldn't with a console then it's not really a comparison, also there's never a 'good' time to build a pc in my opinion, always new stuff coming out :)

3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I5 2070 super 144 hz 1440p

Just wait a little bit amd is about to announce a new CPU and GPU, nvidia is about to drop the 3070 and once stock settles out that's going to kick as

And were what like 2 ish months from black friday

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would hold off upgrading right now.

Why?

1, AMD Zen 3 is due to launch in the next couple of weeks.

2, AMD Big Navi is due to release at the end of October.

3, Why buy older tech like a 2070 S, when you could pick up AMD Big Navi if it is any good, or even pick up a 3070 if you wait a little longer?

4, Intel will bring out 11th Gen Rocket Lake in Q1, or even late Q4 depending on Zen 3 performance.

5, Q1 will bring more variety of Nvidia 3xxx series.

6, From what I've recently read, DDR5 Ram will be supported by AMD's Zen 4 which looks to be released in late 2021.

So come the end of October, we should have a better understanding of what to buy, be it a console, or this next gen tech, where you will always be apart of the PC master race...

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's never a good time. There's always something coming "real soon".
    Get out!

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well this time around you are getting some pretty fast hardware that matches current high end PC hardware.
    So to some it is a no brainer for those on a lower budget. :grin:

7. knarF

knarF Noob

This was actually my main concern, the gap between console and PC seems to be shrinking (according to gaming journos at least) and it's got me wondering if the extra cost involved in a pc is worth it next gen.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Depends on how you play and what you play really...