1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

<laughs in Welsh free prescription smugness> :grin:

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How much blue cheese can you get for £9.15?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Enough to make me regret trying that route, I'll bet. Especially if it's supermarket own brand.

bawjaws likes this.
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How much Immodium can you get for £9.15?

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Eh... not particularly amusing when the owner is trying to make some sort of statement IMO.
    I was thinking more of a hapless social marketing intern with nowhere near enough oversight and the keys to the corporate twitter account thinking they were being clever and edgy and it backfiring spectacularly.

And then the follow-up human interest piece where they're saying that they can't afford to feed their cat because nobody will hire them, and a photo of their best FML face like, what the eff did you think was going to happen? Maybe that's more the bit I find amusing.

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Horrors, so sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers OK.
    I know you're not optimistic on that, but everything crossed here.

My MIL at 87 is similarly vulnerable. She broke her wrist years ago and it was pinned; she and her sister both broke their hips in the same month more recently.
    She's so frail, and thin as a rake. She had a fall in lockdown, and was also being stubborn doing stuff she shouldn't.
    Thankfully, she was making the bed and fell on a large oversized cushion that she'd put on the floor moments earlier....

Not being allowed in doesn't help either, hang in there and stay safe.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The problem mate is her osteoporosis and arthritis. I doubt they will be able to use pins as her bones are too brittle.

That's what I mean when I say I think that will be the last fall she has. And quite probably the last walk around town. I think she may need a scooter thing now.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Osteoporosis, t'is a bugger. That's what has done for my MIL. She's to frail for a scooter now, just a trolley round the house, and a 3 wheeler for the odd foray into the garden.
    She used to cycle everywhere when I first met her, flitting round the shops to save 10p on something as opposed to the other shop...
    Hope she recovers OK, and is still mobile.
    Mobility scooter modding anyone? Flash some race firmware on it, a bit of WC to keep it efficient...
    That's not even considering the cosmetic changes!

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah but think of the additional power drain on the battery :thumb:

10. Vault-Tec

Well after a crazy day I can finally sort of somewhat relax.

She has indeed cracked her kneecap in half, however they did a bone density scan and apparently she has the legs of an ox. Well, they didn't say that I did. They will be putting a plate on it, so no doubt I will nickname her the tin man or something when she gets home. She went nil by mouth earlier so I was sure to tell her all about the Chinese I had with her cousin. Yeah, she's got that sort of SOH too.....

I don't think I will be able to see her tomorrow if they operate. Right now I have gone into some sort of crisis overdrive that I sort of learned when all of the bad stuff went down when I was a kid. Now isn't the time to fall apart though, so I am kinda glad I have that switch in my brain.

She couldn't drive a scooter tbh. She has no road sense at all. That is why she has never driven a car. She tried once in my dad's transit van, stacked it and has a nice scar on her leg LOL. She's not the driving type, and I would hate to let her loose on a scooter. Hopefully it won't come to that, but in the next few days I have to sorta build a bedroom downstairs. She said "Screw that I will go up the stairs on my bum !" to which I said "You're not going effing anywhere, you'd only fall down the stairs and break your friggin neck".

Unlike the vape store I absolutely refuse to let her even try that. Stubborn old mare.

The really odd thing is usually when I am about to run out of vape liquid I go into utter panic, and would usually ask her to have a look. But something just felt very off about it last night, hence me absolutely insisting she didn't even try. I'm pissed she even separated from her mate, as she has a thing for diving too FFS.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Maybe talk to Colin Furze?

Mr_Mistoffelees and Arboreal like this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I did the same when my mum was hospitalised after a fall, back before the C got her.
    Might be worth talking to the council about getting a grant for a stairlift.
    We got them to fit one (and a downstairs loo) when she got too frail for stairs.

Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Thanks man. I will look into that.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My left knee. The ligaments in it, to be precise. I damaged those while running in December 2010 (slipped on a sheet of ice underneath the snow, badly twisted my knee, almost completely tore the ligament) and have had issues ever since. Surgery won't help, injecting new ligament (my own, donor, or artificial) won't help. Most days it's fine, some days are just bad. Today is one of the latter days.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Knees are crap! I've got osteoarthritis, slowly getting worse, from occasional pain to some degree of pain most days.

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

2nd positive COVD test at daughter's school = isolate for 2 weeks (incidentally, school also closed) = child care vs. work juggling :grr:

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm in Wales. (see news headlines)

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Do you at least live in Wales, or are you trapped in some awful situation?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a call saying our new sofa won't be arriving today... four hours before the delivery slot. Thanks(!)

Good job I didn't get shot of the old one yet!

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

He'll be alright, plenty of sheep...