1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Installing Windows with two M.2 drives fitted?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikemorton, 15 Oct 2020.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I have two Sabrent M.2 drives all ready for my new Ryzen build.

It would be great to install them both now as my motherboard is still out of the case, as they are a little bit fiddly to fit.

It used to be that the best advice when having two or more storage devices was either to either unplug the second drive or not fit it at all until Windows had been successfully installed on the main drive.

Is this still the case? Would Windows start dumping files on the second M.2 drive?

I'd love to fit both drives now if it's not an issue.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You can leave both drives in. The installer will just put the bios-style mbr on both drives but the efs partition will only be on one.

3. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Excellent news - thanks!

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It does mean in the second drive dies it'll corrupt your boot though...

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Ah, OK that's worth knowing - ta

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why would it corrupt boot? If you're still in bios mode (which I doubt on a board with NVMe), windows installs a copy of MBR on all drives. If in EFI mode (all modern systems), windows creates an EFI partition on the primary drive or uses a pre-existing one. If that EFI partition corrupts then yes, your boot will corrupt, but seeing as OP is clearly exclusively using Windows, chances are Windows and EFI are on the same drive, so everything will pooper out.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've always found it can save potential headaches later on if I install with just the boot drive connected then add any other drives later.

Works for me anyway.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not my experience at all, in fact my work colleague did it at the beginning of the year with an external drive, the system then refused to boot without the external drive attached... Its a well know thing to happen.

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Interesting, I've never had an issue with corrupting windows when replacing second drives and I've never unplugged them during windows install. Just pick only 1 drive/partition to install onto.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's not only a thing, it's a thing that Microsoft itself doesn't know how to avoid. Like, it prevents you from installing Windows 10 updates until you remove your USB drives 'cos otherwise it might accidentally move the bootloader to one and soft-brick your PC. No, really.

wyx087 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

...That would explain so much.

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Disable one of the m2 drives in BIOS, then enable after install ? That's a thing surely ?

Bloody_Pete likes this.