1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

liratheal likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

All rise for the honourable Sir Mancock, Knight of the 2003 version of Excel(lence).

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Aye, but we're lucky to have D ildo in charge of it.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

If people are almost "immune to it", we don't need the tracing anyway! :hehe:

Sorry...had to...

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lancashire agrees to go into Tier 3 like Liverpool.

Lancashire gyms can stay open, unlike Liverpool.

Ok, any more evidence needed as to this being a make up as you go along bag of shite?

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Well, our local auth have sent a mail out saying we're moving from Med to High because.......erm.......

Yeah, we're not actually sure why they've done that, really. No news except the change of status - not an increase in cases, nothing.

8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

One thing that's really got my goat is the amount of flak the government has received. I don't doubt that some of it is highly warranted but we have no experience in living history of a pandemic at this scale and magnitude. The loony left are quick to pull down the efforts made but if the boot was on the other foot and they were in power, would things be any different to where we are now? I seriously doubt it! We are in unchartered territory here, I for one wouldn't relish a senior post in our government right now!!! I don't agree with every decision they've made, but I'm not stupid enough to think that things would be any different if any other political party had the reins of government.

The other thing that seriously gets my goat is the loony conspiracy theorists. We have people claiming it's a secret experiment, its our governments way of controlling us, people refusing to wear masks or take precautions and all other manner of extreme stupidity. At what point are these people going to take the risks seriously and start acting appropriately??

None of my immediate family has been exposed to Covid 19, as far as we know, but some of my wider family group have. My uncle's (by marriage) brother has died from Covid, some of his immediate family tested positive too. I know of at least 3 or 4 friends or friends of family who have passed away due to Covid. So I'm very concerned, especially when it comes to my own family. I have asthma so I guess I'm more at risk of developing serious issues. That worries me for my wife and children. I lost my dad when I was a kid, I would hate for my kids to go through that. That in itself is enough for me to take this disease seriously. I still get on with things and don't let it get me down, but there is definitely concern and worry.

Maybe when some of these idiots who refuse to acknowledge Covid or refuse to take precautions end up feeling the misery and despair that Covid can and does cause, maybe they will then start taking it seriously.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, we might not have a government filled with lying liars, for a start. Couldn't have hurt.

(I mean, a fair number of them would still be lying liars, but I'm willing to bet they'd be fewer in number.)

We almost certainly wouldn't have spaffed £12 billion up the wall on private-sector test-and-trace contracts that have delivered well below spec, either. Nor all the without-tender multi-million-pound PPE contracts that have conveniently gone to major Tory donors and/or party members' families and have yet to deliver anything usable. Cummingsgate wouldn't have been a thing. Hell, Cummings wouldn't be a thing, and wouldn't that be a world worth fighting for?

Hancock wouldn't have lied about a negative study on the efficacy of vitamin D for treatment, either.

In fact, I can't really think of anything that wouldn't have been improved if we'd voted for Kodos. Care to enlighten me otherwise?

MadGinga and MLyons like this.
  10. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Liars aren't exclusive to the Tory party, not by any measure. So that argument is moot really. Surely we're all adult enough to be able to understand the fact that all political parties and their representatives that have been in government lie, frequently. I don't think it would have been any different if Labour had been in power during this crisis. After all they do have a track record for lying about serious domestic and international issues. Just as much as the Tories do.

Exactly the same applies for elected MP's doing immoral and dodgy deals to benefit party donors, friends, family or the milkman. Nothing unique to the Tory party there either. Labour has just as many nasty little skeletons in its closet as any other political party. I do not doubt for a minute there would be Labour MP's trying to take advantage of Covid 19 if they had the opportunity. That's British politics for you.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who was in charge, it was always going to be a clusterfeck because we have no precedents to guide us through this. At least not any that can be applied to modern society. We also have weak and poor leadership, weak and poor opposition parties and politicians who would rather look at Covid as a political issue than a humanitarian one. So I believe that no matter who was in power, the general outcome would have been exactly the same.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They do seem to be concentrated there though.
    Similar to the other countries such as say New Zealand who seem to have it under control?

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

To be fair, NZ are playing on easy mode.

Fingers66 likes this.
  13. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

As opposed to when Labour were in government? Did they not tell big fat lies? Were there not numerous liars in the party at that time? Any political party is going to spin tall tales when in government, I think it's a bit airy fairy to try and dismiss that fact to suit ones own political allegiances. If we're going to throw out the liar label, lets do so fairly at least.

In the UK, we have Labour and Conservative, neither could organise a piss up in a brewery. Maybe both parties should be looking at other countries and how they are dealing with the crisis.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Probably because they've always been reactionary and aren't following scientific advice.

But trying to excuse incompetence by saying everybody in charge would be as bad, well that's an easy get out of jail card for the government.

Look at the stats, the UK has horrendous figures.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Ahem:
    Et tu, Brute?
    [CITATION NEEDED]

Yes, yes, Tony Bliar, WMDs, Iraq, and so on. Go ahead and count the number of lies told in the last Labour government, and compare it to the number of lies told by Our Glorious Leaders of the Moment. If the ratio's in your favour, we can continue the debate. Otherwise, I think I've made my point.

You mean... apart from the countries who were hit before us and we were able to watch?

Have you seen the charts? If it literally wouldn't make a difference who was in charge, why are we one of the worst-hit countries in the world?

16. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I'm not trying to excuse the government, I do believe though that it really wouldn't have mattered who was in power during this crisis. That isn't making excuses for the government, it's knowing the the current stock of politicians here in the UK are about as much use as second hand bog roll.

I am really fed up of politicians trying to use Covid for political gain rather than trying to band together to find ways in which we can really start working on the crisis. I knew it would never happen but I did hope it would.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Fun fact: d'you know who's job that is? THE TORIES. Literally, they have a majority government. If there is any force out there stopping the Tories from effectively tackling the crisis in the way it has been effectively tackled elsewhere, it does not lie outwith the Party.

18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

As already stated, here in the UK, we have two real options, Labour and Conservative. Both of these parties couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. So no I DON'T think the outcome would have been any better had Labour been in power.

If you feel that statement is wrong, please do enlighten me as to how?

And it is the job of the opposition to hold the Tories to account and to challenge. Seeing as Labour have voted in favour of most of the half arsed measures we have experienced, do they not share some portion of blame?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Err...

Nope, because if they'd voted against the measures... the measures would have passed anyway, because it's a majority Tory government. Just because the guy down the pub agreed it would be a great idea for me to do a sick kickflip off the stairs doesn't mean he shares any of the blame when I break my ankle.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

That's one of the weakest analogies I've ever read. Well done! The opposition voted in favour because they themselves had nothing to bring to the table, so it was a case of vote in favour because when the **** hits the fan we're not in power and we're safe. They are just as culpable if they provide no opposition and no workable alternatives to the table. That is their role in parliament after all. Who would vote in favour if their conscience told them it wasn't right??? Ahh yeah the great British politician.