1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Uses for old "performance" HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 13 Oct 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I have one of the first WD Black drives, the 1TB FALS. Used to be my games drive until recent price drop on SSD's.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/hitachi-western-digital-terabyte,2017-3.html

It's noisy and it runs hot, requires cooling. Performance is great for HDD but pointless to use for performance compared to SSD.

What is it good for nowadays?
    How do you use your old HDD's?

I just don't see any point for the faster disk drive.......
    I also have a WD Green 1TB. This works well as slow drive. It is silent and runs really cool. Without airflow runs below 40c. So I kept this plugged in and holds raw photos and videos, also used as one of many place to backup my important data.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've got a couple of very old 256GB Seagates. I use them to occupy otherwise underutilised space on a shelf.

3. wyx087

Haha, yes, they are good as paper weight to prevent the shelf from floating away ;)

I also have a 250GB Seagate. I upgrade one disk in my primary NAS 4TB to 8TB. The 4TB then went into backup NAS (HP Microserver) displacing a 2TB. The 2TB now functions as boot drive in the HP. The 250GB that came with HP is now a good paper weight.

In today's world of SSD's and cloud storage. I honestly don't see any uses for those hot-running consumer HDD's. Cool and silent ones can be useful just as extra storage.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its from 2008ish, so it basically can't be trusted with data, so door stop, paper weight, fancy decorative piece...

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Or build a trebuchet and launch it towards your least liked neighbour......:grin: a decent use for it, but perhaps a bit dangerous, please don' take my advice.:blush:

6. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

I wouldn't mind a couple of those icepacks that you used to get on the WD Velociraptors , A nice chunk of metal unlike those flimsy plastic trays you get these days.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2020
  7. wyx087

I don't have this view. The chances of disks fail at the same time is miniscule. As long as you do multiple backups, the data is as safe as it is in a new drive.

So far, of the 3 direct replies, all suggested some form of paper weight (or weight for projectile). So I guess old HDD are totally useless.

Alternatively, if anyone is in the market for an old 1TB HDD, don't hesitate to contact me. Yours for price of postage.

Ice Tea likes this.
  8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But its not worth the time to fill, If you have other back ups why do you need it? That it past its expiration date, just move it on!

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you're keeping the drive you might as well use it as some more backup space. There nothing bad about having an extra backup, especially if it is air gapped and not regularly updated.

Other than that I'd agree with selling/giving it away. Better than having it taking up space gathering dust and someone might find it genuinely useful *glances nervously at draw half full of old hard drives*...

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Personally I enjoy destroying them... Platters breaking is satisfying!

11. wyx087

Yes. Time is a finite resource. Luckily you should be able to drag-drop and forget.

Regarding air gap, I am thinking to utilise Windows' Offline feature in the disk manager. Looks like it allows one to take disconnect a drive at will without opening the case.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

A lot of my work is in failure mitigation, so these kinds of devices are abhorrant to me :p

13. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

@wyx087

If you don't find a use for it or give it away then Cex will give you a few quid for it if you have a local shop near you?

wyx087 likes this.
  14. wyx087

Somehow that didn't occur to me, thanks for reminding. £9 is sure better than a paperweight.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...tName=computing&title=wd-black-wd1001fals-1tb

Interestingly, they pay more for slower 5400rpm drives. I guess people's thinking is similar to mine: fast + hot HDD are pointless nowadays with SSD's all the rage.
    https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=seagate 250gb

Ice Tea likes this.
  15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I added an additional drive to a Sky box using a SATA backplane; with the independent power on/off, it doubled the storage once the first was cloned onto it and the programmes removed.

Do you have any mates with kids (or elderly folk) that need a new, lesser spec PC? Let me know if you don't/can't/CBA to shift it and I'll see if I can find it a new home to save it from certain and ignominious death.

16. wyx087

Ok, will do. It's still physically in my computer, not plugged in.

My Dad may want it, but he's on a laptop so doubt this may be of any use. I haven't gotten around to asking yet. If he doesn't want it it's yours for price of postage (or you can collect from N11 London or Luton). I've got a HDD box from my NAS drive purchase.

17. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Their pricing has become increasingly odd over the last couple of years , Hardly any difference between retail on some items...