1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Early benchmarks suggest strong figures for AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Oct 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I got very annoyed just now watching the Linus Tech Tips video on this - partly because he's a complete shill who literally took AMD sponsorship to make a video saying that AMD are about to destroy Intel, but also because all the AMD graphs had unlabelled axes and no spec details. It's par for the course but it still annoys me. If you want your internal pre-release benchmarks to be taken seriously, put numbers and specs on them so they can be cross-checked and scrutinized. They leave them unlabelled precisely because they don't want them peer-reviewed with any accuracy.

I'm also not sure why us PC gaming nerds are still talking about CPUs at all, considering the massive plateau in requirements over the last 6 years. People still argue about whether you should buy Intel or AMD for gaming. I'm still running an i5-3470 and it still does everything without a hitch. New titles are just now approaching 100% utilization spikes and that chip is 7 years old. Unless you're benchmarking, I just...why do we still argue about Intel vs AMD? I get why the professionals would care, the guys rendering CAD and encoding video. But you can run modern games on a potato relative to the current and next gen CPUs.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I can't find it now but I think AMD gave the specs of their Zen3 Ryzen benchmarks to someone, GN perhaps. I remember the systems were pretty comparable, the only differences being obviously 5900X vs 10900K and Aorus Z490 vs AMD reference board. RAM was the same and XMP enabled on both, GPU was 2080ti FE. If I find it again I'll share.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I have saw those tests at 4k resolution there is 0.1 fps difference that flux’s across the chips.

1440p the chips delivers more fps than any monitor can display so once again all the chips are the same. The Intel chip still has the better min fps in all these tests too.

not even sure the 1080p test is now relevant especially now the world has moved on.

any cpu made in the last 3-5 years is more than good enough for gaming at any resolution

I think on tech sites and forums like this it should be acknowledged that this is the case.

monty-pup likes this.
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Will never happen, because the entire industry (including consumers) is obsessed with features and not benefits.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

CPUs are not much to get excited about anymore, it's true. The renewed battle between AMD and Intel is, however.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Meh, I don't watch any tech videos. As Bit-tech has migrated toward video reviews, with only a cursory attempt at a text review, I find myself less likely to click a review link here.

Most of the reason is that I can read a hell of a lot faster than people can talk - or at least talk and be remotely intelligible. Worse, I found when I did watch a few videos that I missed things I wanted to know and had to rewatch to catch where either a) something was a throwaway comment or b) it was added in a place which made no logical sense. Or I just got bored with how slow it was, and ended up missing stuff because my mind wandered. The cult of personality which seems to build up around video reviewers doesn't help either. End result would be I spent over an hour on a 30 minute video which I could have gone through in five minutes if it had been text. Accents are something you can't help (unless you're an accomplished mimic!) so I won't hold an accent against someone - but a voice that grates on the nerves will quickly get me to stop watching.

Anyway, marginally more on-topic: if Ryzen 5000 matches up (within 5%) of the performance indicated by leaks, it will be a very impressive chip. I'm definitely after one for work, but will have to wait as it will need to go in an X470 board. I am also in the market for a NUC-sized Ryzen APU box, but if Zen 3-based ones will come early next year, I think I'll wait. The only thing I wish it would have is AVX-512 (to my understanding, it does actually have two of the AVX-512 instructions) but given that AVX-512 is currently the only thing Intel has which is a complete show-stopper in terms of performance boost (if code takes advantage of it, obviously) I doubt they'll be allowing AMD to incorporate the full AVX-512 instruction set any time soon.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

For a couple of reasons (too disorganised to sell my older stuff, don't like to throw anything out that still works) I'm still on a 2700K and 16GB 1866MHz RAM, so I'm behind even you...still seems to be doing okay at the moment though.

Tags: Add Tags