1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education To YouTube, or not to YouTube

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 19 Oct 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That is the question.

So I waste spend a lot of time on YouTube, and it has become one of my main sources of steaming media. In the past I've frequently watched something and thought either "I could do that" or "I fancy doing that", or sometimes both. Similarly I've found myself doing something and thought "people might actually want to see this"... because I'd watch it if it came up in my feed. But there's the clincher, the idea of making a video for 6 people to watch always felt silly to me. That said I have more views than I would expect on my channel consisting of one video I uploaded for a manufacturer to see a fault, and another two that were just playing with a new gopro... so maybe it's not all that silly. I'm also fortunate enough to have some relatively shiny things, which are always a good source for content... at least those sorts of videos represent a chunk of my viewing.

This weekend I'm chatting to the Mrs about new house stuff, and she asks if I'm going to do a project log for the media room conversion like last time, and that got me thinking... perhaps I do a video log? I'm thinking this could be the way to kick-start things... I'd subscribe anyway.

I do a fair bit of talking head stuff for work so being on camera is no stranger to me, and much of the gear/software I'd need to do a decent job of it I already have for the same reason. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it in the long run too.

The objective isn't necessarily to get monetised, but if that were to ever happen all the better - just a bit of a hobby... or rather a meta-hobby, since ultimately all content would be around my pre-existing hobbies anyway.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think it, anyone here followed through?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I generally find myself saying I should have YouTube'd that after the fact, so just do it, whether people watch or not who can say but if like me you don't and the moment is gone it's annoying, if you do it and you don't like it or its goes nowhere you've lost nothing so long as you are not investing heavily (time/money) to do something unless you were doing it anyway.

boiled_elephant and MLyons like this.
  3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Do it, a video log and some photos for social media (Instapoop, FB) with some well-placed #hashtags can do wonders.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd 100% do it. If it gets no views it's also handy for documentation purposes.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

What's "steaming media" all about then?

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I wondered that too. Thought he might be referring to a different -Tube.

Or maybe a different You-.

LennyRhys, adidan and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  7. Mister_Tad

I'll give it a punt then... I was expecting a bunch of posts explaining why I shouldn't bother tbh.

Yeah, that too. Always thinking after the fact "That's something people want to see! Should have really recorded that"

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This is probably going to sound weird, I probably am a bit :D but I put a lot of my race performance stuff up on YouTube privately, so I can watch myself on TV over and over again...... :rollingeyes: much to the annoyance of my missus :grin:

I share the odd bits publically for a bit of willy waving against my fellow competitors of course and its surprising how many watch but it's mostly for my self gratification :blush::grin:

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just make sure to never post footage of any identifying features and never mention any real name and you'll be fine.

MLyons likes this.
  10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I keep flirting with the idea too. The problem is that my deepest desire is to do punditry - be another basic white neckbeard talking straight to camera about politics and junk. And the internet is awash with them.

I think I'd be fairly good at it, but I don't think the internet needs it. Whereas what you're talking about is actually interesting, inspiring, useful things. Projects, sports, home improvement, hobbies, crafts - those things all inspire and inform people. Punditry mostly just makes them angry.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I think it can be worth doing and can have a lot of benefits. Upload shorter videos regularly. You will get more view, followers and feedback. I think that the feedback itself through a build could potentially have real value to your projects and create engagement. Shorter videos will also be easier to edit, script and try different things out.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This sort of -tube.

Anyway - yes - good idea.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You answered your own question.

14. Mister_Tad

Identifying features like of where I live (which I can totally understand and would be careful of) or personally, i.e. my face?

There are dozens of videos out in the world with my face and real name in them for work stuff, though I'd almost certainly be introducing myself as Mr Tad in any YouTubery.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Both.

You don't want to be doxxed, have someone mock you decades down the line for your fashion choices or a potential future employer see you praising a competitors product etc.

Until you've made never work again money you need to be able to walk away with no way to trace your online career to your real life identity.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

/me looks around nervously...

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. silk186

silk186 Derp

That is a bit of a problem as content creation can be more about branding than content. You can't form much of a brand without showing your face. It will be difficult for anyone to have an attachment to your channel.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yes should do it.

Yes you should do it dressed in a squirrel onesie.

No, you should not show your nuts.

Edit: Actually rules you can apply to most life events.

19. creative

creative 500rwhp

tell that to AvE or this old tony (TOT)

I too watch alot of youtube and the biggest thing I found with videos is make them because you want to, not because you are worried about views. Do it because you want to...

adidan likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

^

I watch all sorts on YT, the only ones that keep my attention are ones doing it because they obviously just enjoy it.

Pete J likes this.