1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh i think it's equal parts - newey's cars are an arse to drive well, and equal parts RBR can/will only build one properly competitive car.

You're either the number 1 [Vettel/Verstappen] with the quick car, or you're the Webber/Ricciardo/Kvyat/Gasly/Albon 'other one' in the 'other car'. They basically set the #2 up to fail and them bounce them out the door for the next one when expedient.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Albon has good and bad races, he is very inconsistent. He needed longer to mature.

red bull demand too much, would break basically any driver. It’s just silly

I don’t think he will be there next week

javaman likes this.
  3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

4. javaman

Yuki Tsunoda to replace Kyvatt at Alpha Tauri provided he gains the superlicence points.

Albon and Gasly could be swapped tho rumours that Hulkenberg or Perez could replace Albon if he looses his seat rather than a swap.
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-driver-options/

I kinda like Albon but I do want Perez and Hulkenberg to have a shot in a good car. Really very mixed about dropping Albon or even Gasly but would like to think they would land on their feet somewhere. They have a lot of potential still

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Albon, I dunno, he just seems too flaky for a top drive at the moment. I thought Tsunoda's drive was a Honda thing - will RBR honour it now?

I'd like to see Perez in there - I know Red Bull aren't short of a quid but his sponsor money might be worth considering if they plan to partner up with a 3rd party to develop their own engines.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  6. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I haven't been impressed by Albon so went looking for reasons why and, in short, Albon hasn't won a championship. Recent times in feeder formulae have perhaps been unusually competitive (he came second to his then teammate Leclerc in 2016 GP3, and third to Russell and Norris in 2018 F2) but compared to guys in mid-tier like Hulk who won 5 championships before getting an F1 seat he seems underqualified, or Lando who was 4th in the championship until the last race with a slower car. For me Albon's 2020 season has been at best unspectacular. He seems to have a racey appetite but can't get particularly close to Max's pace and makes unforced errors when in the mix; the last GP saw him flat spot two sets of tyres trying to overtake awkwardly. Maybe I'm railing against the oddly positive C4 commentary guy.

javaman and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm unimpressed by Albon too. Thoroughly likeable from the Netflix docuseries but that's about it. He has intermittent pace, makes poor racing decisions and his comment about Gasly during the race the other week said all I needed to hear... "They race me so hard..." Yeah no s**t Sherlock! Did he expect the sister team to get out of the way for him? Gasly has more to prove than Albon and is doing a better job of it.

For me, I'd like to see Kvyat sacked for good this time, Albon and Gasly in the AlphaTauri and the RBR seat go to someone who has a hope of giving Max a challenge, whether that be Perez, Hulk or someone else competitive.

javaman and enbydee like this.
  8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Perez or Hulk to RBR, tough call as both are good, Hulks really shone with his stand in drives especially the last race as the car was not even set up for him, so that proves he can extract a good performance from an unfamiliar car.

Perez, is solid, great at tyre management and good wheel to wheel, the potential extra pennies from sponsorship could help if RBR go independent on the PU side of things. though either would have to be pressing Max to ensure they have an RBR seat for the following season.

9. RedFlames

RBR will want someone who can score reliable points [something neither Albon nor Gasly seemed to manage at RB], but not too good... They don't want their golden boy upstaged.

10. javaman

Last edited: 22 Oct 2020
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's nice to see them clearing out the clowns but it seems Mazepin and Schumacher are the likely replacements?

Was holding a little hope for Perez and Hulk for a moment.

12. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Finally .. I could never understand why Grosjean kept getting re-signed every season .. all the bloke does crash / breakdown or fowl up in some other way when the car was capable of better results.

13. javaman

Schumacher makes sense. There is a small chance he could replace Giovanazzi but I can see him landing in the Haas.

Haas signing drivers has always been less about money and a bit about experience. I still hold hope that Hulkenberg or Perez might be paired to help development of the car and benchmark Schumacher should he join. In Perez's case, a bit of sponsorship doesnt hurt either.
    Both options would bring experience to hopefully score points while solving the gremlins they've been plagued with with failed upgrades and not understanding the car. Anything would be an improvement on Grosjean constantly saying "it's ****, i cant dive it"

Bit of left field suggestion....what about Russell? I find it interesting that KMag was also dropped (Grosjean it felt like we where just waiting for the announcement). I thought he would get 1 more season to aid the transition

enbydee likes this.
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

Grosjean achieved nothing at all in his time in f1, Kmag won a race but never sparkled.

Schumacher is guarenteed a drive for Hass or Alfa, Hulk could end up at redbull for a season

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

My guess:

Demote Giovanazzi to reserve
    Schumacher goes under the tutelage of Kimi at Alfa
    Hulk & Perez to Haas.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Red Bull have already made pretty clear they will not put anyone in an RB or AT seat that isn't from their academy, otherwise having the academy is "pointless" (Marko's word).

17. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Prediction:
    If Williams drop Russell Mercedes will immediately announce him as their reserve driver, possibly even buy out Bottas and put him in a race seat. They already tried to sign him for 2021, but Williams at the time was unwilling to accept a contract buyout. He's been too good in the Williams for Merc to let him go, plus they don't want him getting beaten down coming last in substandard cars all the time.

Rogro and KMag, 10 podiums for Rogro, 1 on his debut for KMag, not great, but not terrible for either of them.

I genuinely think that Perez or Hulk will be in a Red Bull next year. Marko's rhetoric has changed somewhat recently and it seems they are looking for someone to specifically be number 2 to Verstappen instead of throwing yet another young driver to the wolves. The whole Honda situation has thrown everything else into chaos so they're going to want a stable driver. At the moment having Max be number 1 at RB and Gasly be number 1 at AT wouldn't be a terrible solution. Assuming he gets the Super License point Yuki Tsunoda in the other AT.

19. RedFlames

*rubs crystal ball*

Not 100% serious predictions but -

Williams - Perez/Latifi
    Haas - Mazepin/Ilott
    Alfarrari - Sprogmacher/Huleknberg
    McCedes - DRic/Lando
    Strolling Martin - Stroll/Vettel
    Alpine - Alonso/Ocon
    AT-AT - Albon/Tsunoda
    Red Bull - Verstappen/Gasly