1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Oculus Quest 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 13 Oct 2020.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I imagine some of you may have jumped onboard and bought a Quest 2, or you're on the fence undecided.

So after a couple of hours and installing about 15 different apps, ranging from 400MB - 4GB I still have half my storage left. So if your concerned that 64GB would not be enough, I would say there is plenty.

My experience with PCVR started with the Rift CV1, then upgrading to the Samsung Oddyssey Plus, then the Rift S, then HP Reverb G1.
    So with that knowledge under my belt of what to expect from a good HMD, I am pleasently surprised by the good quality of the Quest 2 LCD.

Now I've only tested this with the built in app store, and the native games, as I am yet to test PCVR titles on it over WiFi and link cable.

Anyway, me and my partner had a good blast messing around with the likes of Beat Saber, and several demo's.
    Just from these games alone, this HMD is slightly better than the Rift S LCD, a lot less SDE, to the point you really have to focus to see any. Only gripe, is if you use the higher IPD setting, you can see the edges of the screens which can be off putting. Using the centre setting work well for us both, and avoided that issue.

Login in with an existing Oculus account was straight forward, but as you go through the process you do need to link that account with a Facebook account.
    Doing this, I noticed a couple of games I already own on the PCVR store was showing as purchased in the Quest store, Robo Recall and I expect you to die. So that was nice to see.

For the comfort using only the default strap, it isn't bad, but it is a pain having to adjust it for the difference size heads me and my partner has, so an elite strap is preferred. As for the face covering, I found it fitted well, and was comfortable for around the 60mins I had it on.
    That said, I did notice some light bleed from the nose if you look down, so I would of liked the rubber nose covering you get on other HMD to hide that.

No cables! Man this feels great not being tethered, or getting all wrapped up in cables. This is definitely the future for VR.

Onboard Audio is pleasent and clear. Loud enough that at 3/4 volume was optimal for our environment. So it is very playable without the need of earphones. But some people do like the full immersion of being completely closed off from reality. I do in certain games like ED.

So based on that alone, I would say this is a bargain HMD.

I will update this thread next month once I get my main rig built and test it with PCVR to see if it is a keeper for that too.

Please share your thoughts and findings.

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

IMO the upgraded strap is a must.

What is your and your partner's eye IPD?

I'm 61, just between the mid and low settings. Not sure how well it will work out. I read there is also internal software adjustments to help in addition to the clicky adjustment.

Quest 1 is nice, but I so want a Quest 2. The display upgrade is immense, it's better than many much expensive HMD's. Really a shame I've missed the boat selling my Q1....... I'll probably keep it until there is bigger jump with controller in next Quest in 1/2 years time. I only play Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and PC VR on it, don't need the extra processing power. (talks myself out of it)

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm yet to test the elite strap, but I did find the halo strap on the Rift S was more comfortable and easier to take on and off your head than the HP Reverb and CV1. So I would agree.
    That being said, the included strap is fit for purpose.

My IPD is 66, my partners is 64.
    The lenses have a large sweetspot, so even if your IPD is not to the measurements of the adjustments, there is plenty of tolerance in the lenses before needing to adjust. As mentioned we found the center IPD to work well for us both.

I will have a look, but I did not notice any software IPD adjustments, though I wasn't looking as the image was clear.

From looking at the usual YouTubers through the lense reviews, I would say the Quest 1 is more like a CV1 with the SDE. Though, as we know, using a camera through the lenses doesn't give you the true clarity, so I can only judge on that knowledge.

The Quest 2 is inbetween the Rift S and HP Reverb G1, but closer to the Reverb with minimal SDE.

As we now know, Oculus are going to focus on the Quest and move away from PCVR. Which is a shame when I heard this, but then when I got the Quest 2, I could see why.
    Having a wireless VR HMD with no tether is the future, and I hope Oculus find ways to reduce compression when connecting it to PCVR, supplying a Display port cable and USB to connect directly to the GPU.
    If they do that, then they will be on to a winner.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Oct 2020
  4. wyx087

They say setting 1 is for 58-61mm. setting 2 is for 62-65mm, 3 is for 65-68mm.
    So you are beyond their 2 setting, yet still able to use and see clearly. That is helpful to know, for my 61 I can use setting 1. Although if they have big area of sweet spot, I think for you or me, using one setting higher should give wider FoV?

The through the lens video I watched, I felt Q2 is between G2 and Index.

It's a shame GPU manufacturers killed off virtuallink. I like how it gave me an extra 10 Gbps USB-C port. That would have worked great to eliminate compression. But then, there is still a cable.

Now that I'm at home with wired connection (rather than powerlink) from computer to router and play within 4 meter, in line of sight of my AC1900 old but high end router. I stream using Virtual Desktop at 90 Mbps, there is minimal compression artifacts, everything looks as crisp as on my desktop monitor.

There is also rumour they are working on "Air Link" some sort of wireless Oculus link. If it's Quest 2 exclusive and offers better experience (better bitrate and latency) than VD, that'll push me over the edge to get Quest 2.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Can confirm there is no software IPD on the Official firmware. I've not looked at the Beta firmware.

I agree to that. I would say Rift s, Index, Quest 2, G1, G2 in that order.

If that is what they are saying, then yes i guess I am, but I can see good clarity, so the sweet spot is bigger than those measurements given.
    When I used the wider IPD setting, I wouldn't say my FOV was much changed what I could see on the panel, only you now see the outside edges of the screen which was a bit off putting.
    Also you will have to factor in how close your eyes are to the lenses, whether you wear glasses too will also reduce the FOV when you attach the added spacer.

FOV is a hard one to compare, as I don't have the other HMD to compare them side by side. Also I have never tried out a Valve Index. So to me it seems very minimal different to the other HMD's FOV I've owned.

Yes, bit of a backwards move really. I guess until I have an up and running PC to test PCVR on this, I can't really judge, but I will test both Link and Wifi.
    Link cable will be great for sitting at my PC playing ED, Squadron, and Sim's in general, so being tethered is not a big issue here.
    Games link Beat Saber, Lone Echo, Echo VR, Tower etc I can see this being a lot more enjoyable not being tethered.

Interesting. I guess it is always nice to read/hear they are looking at improvements to better the wireless PCVR experience.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Mine turned up at work yesterday and i wasnt in but sitting next to me now. Managed to sell my Quest 1 for £325 2 days before the announcement about the 2. I bought the Elite strap also and will get the VRcover as soon as its released...

Itching to get home to have a go!! Hoping that Virtual Desktop will allow 90Hz soon to play from the PC wireless , I have a 5Ghz Virgin router so .... yeah. The Quest 1 was great so i have high expectations for this

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Nice one!

I enabled 90Hz Beta on the Quest 2 which makes a difference in the home screen. Not sure if it works in games, as I did have it enabled, and Robo Recall felt a little laggy at the start in the office. Wasn't too bad playing the first level. Though I'm not sure if it was actually running 90Hz, or 72Hz in game, on the native Quest 2 hardware.

Keep us posted.

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I know Virtual desktop has been running at 90Hz while the reviewers have had them but they said it was going back to 72Hz until Oculus let them or update it or something like that. I know the home screen will work at 90 but thats it for now.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  9. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Well ive had an hour or so on it and yeah im impressed. The resolution bump is very nice indeed and the elite head strap a god send!!

There is defiantly a difference in the screen .. not for the better though im afraid, the OLED in the Q1 was better but i can live with it , this i noticed playing Moss the res bump is really good in this but the blacks in some of the scenes a bit wishy washy but tbf the game is so damn good it can be forgiven. Only other game i played was beatsaber and although its defiantly sharper .. that damn thing still steams up on me which is really frustrating .. roll on the VR cover!! The IPD ... meh .. yeah ok its ... works but the slider on the Q1 was far superior thou i understand this is nigh impossible on a single screen display. Not hooked it up to the PC yet but all in good time.

Colour me truly impressed. I dont think you can afford not to have one of these in all honesty.

wyx087 likes this.
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's the thing when I upgraded from the Rift CV1, being spoilt by OLED then going back to an LCD.
    Blacks are wishy-washy as you say, but you will get used to it the more you use it.

I'm yet to try out Moss. The Room VR is something I will purchase. Love these types of puzzle games.

11. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Its a story book platform game and its a beautiful thing :) I seriously hope they make more games of this quality.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  12. wyx087

VR games I can recommend out of games I've completed, in no particular order:
    - HL Alyx
    - Lone Echo
    - Asgard's Wrath
    - Boneworks
    - Beat Saber (native)
    - Pistol Whip (native)
    - A Fisherman's Tale (native)
    - Down the Rabbit Hole (native)
    - Moss (native)
    - Superhot (native)
    - Virtual Virtual Reality (native)
    - GORN (native is coming)

So do check out Fisherman's Tale, Down the Rabbit Hole, Moss and Virtual Virtual Reality for VR puzzle solving.

If you've owned Rift, check old games. A lot of them could be "Cross buy" where you buy on one platform, you can download for free on the other. I own Pistol Whip and Space Pirate Trainer on Oculus Rift platform in this way. But I try to buy on Steam for PCVR whenever possible to get better compatibility if/when I want to ditch Oculus.

The Quest OLED blacks are not true OLED blacks, there is still a glow when using it in a not so bright room. I read they don't turn the cells completely off to ensure good response time. So I'm slightly surprised you've picked up the LCD vs OLED switch.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I've added Moss, A fisherman's tale, and virtual virtual reality to my wishlist.

Have any of you played The Tower on PCVR?
    I tried searching for it the quest store, but no luck. This should be a must have for wireless VR.

Not a demanding game, but it is a lot of fun ducking and diving, dodging razer blades, cannon balls, and not falling off the belt as you travel up the tower.

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Some tips on how to improve the image quality using link cable.
    New firmware due out soon will have options to choosing either performance or quality, rather than manually changes these settings shown apparently.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Oct 2020
    wyx087 likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Last edited: 26 Oct 2020
  17. wyx087

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

TBH, I have an old profile, that was used for business with nothing on it. My Oculus account got linked to that FB account, and I have had no issues so far.

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I personally don't have an issue with the FB profile linking requirement, although I can see why others would. I will say though, I've had a pain-free experience so far. All my old Rift content is available when I use the Oculus Link cable and everything seems to have been seamless.

I'm impressed with the new HMD so far, although I am bang between the middle and largest IPD settings but you can get it to hold between the two settings if you slide it gently and that's worked a treat for me. Also means I can't see the edge of the display now too, which is nice.

Having skipped the Rift S, I can only feel the gains over the Rift I had previously but that said, the panel does give a great experience and the blacks are certainly black enough for immersion, although like TG said, the light bleed from around my hooter is a little annoying. I'm going to try aftermarket face forms to try and reduce or eliminate that though.

The one thing I'm reluctant to purchase at the moment is the elite battery strap. There's reports of both elite straps snapping, and whilst they're not ubiquitous, it's enough to put me off spending £120 until Oculus announce something or update the strap, or there's a third party solution with incorporated battery.

Other than that, happy with the purchase and the Mrs and I have having a right laugh with it and it's better for being wire-free!

wyx087 likes this.
  20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Got mine last week, only spent an hour or two on it so far in the first steps app, rec room paintball and bought 'In Death' and vr fishing. My first VR headset and so far I'm not finding it that comfortable, I can only wear it for about an hour max before it starts putting too much pressure on my forehead. Games look great, but any text quickly seems to become a bit blurry unless I constantly readjust the headset position.

Definitely going to get a better strap, not sure I can bring myself to get the official one though, also going to try and get a thicker facial interface to try and spread the load over more of my forehead (that doesn't sound quite right, :D ).

Still trying to get used to being able to move while playing too, :D

Need to buy HL Alyx but want to get a bit more competent before I do.