1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mech is crapping out -recommend replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 26 Oct 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've tried a number of Chinese mechanical keyboards over the years.
    [​IMG]

My current keyboard is the one on the bottom, a 60% with dedicated arrow keys. It was really cheap and excellent value. Downsides, keys caps are thin and have a bit of wobble. Also, I only expect it to last 1-2 years. This one seems to have lasted me 3 years which is great for the £20 I paid for it. In fact, I like the layout so much that I ordered the pro version with Cherry switches and better caps. That is stuck in China and I won't be getting it for months.

Royal Kludge RK61 pro with Cherry brown
    [​IMG]

Sadly, my beloved RK61 is has secured to the pandemic and its systems are failing. It can barely muster the strength to register the three keys required for a question mark and trips on the spaces.

I'm looking for a small 60-65% keyboard with dedicated arrow keys, removable USB (USB c preferred), cherry brown or similar, double shot key caps and preferably rgb. It seems that an aluminum back plate is also something I should be after.

I was looking at the Ducky one 2 SF RGB and hoping they would come out with a mecha. They have come out with two limited edition Mecha SF boards but according to overclockers, it will be US only. I would like a UK layout.

What are my options with UK availability (that don't require soldering)?

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I was looking at overclockers and almost all of the suitable ducky boards are sold out. I did see a Filico majestic touch manila 68 which is Bluetooth and a bit taller. The price is ok but I don't need wireless. What are some reputable retailers I can look at in the UK? I'm looking for sub £150.

3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

CCL looks to have some Ducky boards in. Not cheap though are they ?

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

7. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I just brought my son the Ducky Mecha mini with silent reds and I think it's superb. Paid £130 ish Inc delivery from Novatech. I'd certainly wait it out until they are back in Stock.

Edit... Apologise, seen you need arrow keys. My daughter has a Ducky Varmilo Miya Pro Sakura and again it's a belter (with standard MX reds).

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products...ed-blue-cherry-mx-switch/my69cc2wllpn2be.html

Otherwise. If you want arrow keys and iso, how about a Tada68 then order an aluminium case? (That would total about £150).

Last edited: 26 Oct 2020
    silk186 likes this.
  8. silk186

silk186 Derp

After going through 4-5 cheap mechanical keyboards I know what I'm looking for so I don't mind if it looks good, feels good, is quieter and lasts.

I can't stand the white, it wouldn't go with anything.
    This would be perfect if it was the SF version ... which was just announced ... for the US only so far.
    These are from the Mecha SF Radiant Series (limited edition) and have the aluminium body. When asked about ISO they Ducky replied ANSI first, sorry :(. As this isn't released in the US yet, I don't know how long I would have to wait.

As an alternative, it seems that that Durgod Hades 68 UK ISO which was supposed to release in August is about to drop. [source]

The Drop Alt is even more expensive, no ISO and hotswap switches sound dangerously expensive.

I haven't found any other option.

Ducky Mecha SF Radiant Series (limited edition)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Durgod Hades 68
    [​IMG]

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

The Tada68 is pretty nice, but the only one I can find is on eBay, used and they are asking for £119.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What's wrong with the MIYA linked above?

There are very few/no ISO 60% boards with dedicated arrow keys when I looked, disappointing but just went with a Ducky mini and got over no dedicated arrow keys pretty quick.

11. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

There is a hack for the Ducky mini/Mecha mini to remap the 4 bottom right keys as arrows if tapped rather than held down. The BadSeedTech channel on YouTube has a guide as I recall. There is a similar hack for other 60% boards as well

silk186 likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The keyboard company has many Filco keyboards. I bought a Majestouch 2 from them 2 years ago, an excellent, solid keyboard that feels like it should last for many years.

https://www.keyboardco.com/category.asp?sr=&path=Mechanical+Keyboards&stk=&man=Filco&ss=de&rtv=100

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I concur. Source: typing this on a Filco Majestouch 2 which is many years old. (Okay, it hasn't been in continuous usage for that long, as I chop and change, but it gets heavier usage than your average keyboard.)

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've been hammering a Filco Majestouch 2 (a Japanese layout one with silent red switches) daily for nearly four years now, and it's as comfortable to type on now as it was when I bought it. I didn't get the Bluetooth/removable cord version, as I needed to go through a KVM switch. They're great boards.

15. silk186

silk186 Derp

The one linked has blue switches and the one with brown switches is sold old. Ducky is no longer working with Varmilo and these have been removed from the Ducky site.
    Ducky Varmilo MIYA Pro Panda is the only one available and it is £150. That is a lot for not having an Aluminum case. Lastly, the wasted space on the right side bothers me. I can put up with the single space on the One2 SF but the Miya is too much. Why did they add space next to the home and arrow keys? I will do some more reading about the Miya Pro, but for £150 it needs to be perfect.
    [​IMG]

If Ducky had a date for the Mecha SF ISO I would probably wait as they are so nice.

UK Majestouch MINILA Air 68 is the only one I can find in the sub-TKL form factor and the top bit with the BT and battery indicators bother me.
    Otherwise, I would probably give up on RGB as Filico has such a good reputation.
    [​IMG]

This is the issue, I will be using the keyboard through a KVM that connects to my desktop and my work laptop which has an ISO layout which is why I'm looking for and ISO UK layouts

Last edited: 27 Oct 2020
  16. silk186

silk186 Derp

I found one more option: Leopold FC660M £115 link
    [​IMG]

Vortex Cypher 65% £97 link
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Oct 2020
  17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I have one of these while I wait out my CU65 delivery:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KPC6DK3/

I went for the white / white with brown keys option. Been pleasantly surprised with how it has functioned so far.

silk186 likes this.
  18. silk186

silk186 Derp

Durgod Hades 68 should be appearing on Amazon any day now and I'm looking for switch advice. My current board is a Royal Kludge RK61 with some kind of brown switches. I like the tactile bump so I won't be trying Gateron Yellow. I'm thinking to stick with browns so my options are Cherry brown, Gateron Brown and Gateron Silent Brown. Does anyone have any experience with these? Gateron Silent Brown sounds the best based on the silent part.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Discount-M...d=1&keywords=magicforce&qid=1604508258&sr=8-2

I have two. One with blues (Kailh) and one with browns (also Kailh). I have had both for around four years. The space switch in the blues board died after three years of use, but was easily replaced with a Cherry.

The top is alu, the bottom plastic. It's quite a heavy board and very solid. There is no key cap twist at all on the white keys that come with it, but I replaced both of mine any way with PBS on one (Miami) and Mionix on the other. Both are excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

In case anyone finds this thread and is looking for 65% mechanical keyboard with arrow keys and ISO UK, Durgod just released the Hades 69 ISO UK models on Amazon.

The first few boards have just arrived so switches are limited. I think about if I should get Cherry Brown or wait for Gateron Silent Brown.
    [​IMG]