1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD 6xxx Series (RDNA 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 12 Sep 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Depends how you look at it. If you compare it to the 3070? it looks like a bad deal. However the 3070 pretty much matches the 2080Ti. The 6800 is up to 15% faster. Then of course it has double the VRAM and is TSMC which obviously costs more.

The proof in the pudding will be whether there is any overclocking left in the tank. That is something that has not been mentioned at all, and every one seems to be assuming the cards are clocked balls and won't. That could well turn out to be wrong.

It's priced accordingly I suppose.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

on Average I would say the 6800 normal is 25% (35-40fps) down on the 6800xt. but only about 12% cheaper ($70)

I am comparing it to the 6800xt Vault. not even thinking of nvidia here.

Problem the 6800 normal will have, Its probably too fast for 1440p, But not quiet there for 4k which leaves it in a weird spot at the price AMD have picked.

3. Vault-Tec

Usually (until Ampere) lower "cored" or shadered models tend to overclock higher.

If not? then yeah it won't be worth buying. Though I think they are learning from the master (Nvidia) IE price your lower end card so closely to the better one that most will plump for the better one.

They need DLSS. Well, an answer. They can be as good as anything, but if DLSS can double FPS they are going to be screwed until they can find an answer. If the RT performance is "as good as" a 2080Ti then tbh? that is pants. Mine can't even do a maxed out RT game at 1440p without DLSS. Which isn't very impressive. DLSS literally saved RT tbh. Not that I even care much about RT, but I do care about DLSS. Quite simply as when used it will prolong the life of all of my GPUs. Especially if next gen titles start off anything like Watch Dogs Legion. That game pigs on VRAM and even 3080 users are struggling with it.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You only need DLSS if the grunt is not there to run the res you want and then it only works if Nvidia bother to support it, which lets face it they were never very good at with the likes of SLI, but at least with SLi you could make your own profiles and use the inspector, there will be no such workarounds for DLSS.

Ray tracing, the jury is out on that for me, but with the graphics hardware in new consoles being the same as AMD hardware I can see this falling back to support the lowest common denominator, time with tell.

Can't see there being much overclocking headroom on either card, AMD learnt quite a lot of the CPU side about maximizing performance from the silicon and imagine Rage mode to be the GPU equivalent of PBO and on Nvidia side power seems to take quite a hit with a small OC suggesting they are near their limit also, OCing will be the realm of extreme OC'ers (or perhaps those on water who have the capacity to up power and manage temps)

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nvidia didn't choose Quake II for fun to show real RT...

It'll remain being used like Battlefield V did it, for a few effects here and there until much further down the line.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

All rage mode does is up the power limit a little, not even my the max amount. Base clock, boost tables, vcore etc all stay the same so there's still some room left beyond that, but how much is unclear. I imagine they'll be quite good on water.

7. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

And IMO doesnt really look all that OMFG NEXT GEN, I mean its good, as in plastic dolls in somewhat photorealistic environments

8. Vault-Tec

I watched a video review and they said it's basically half last gen and half next gen. Like they added stuff in during the dev period. Not for me really. Sounds quite complicated.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No way it could look "OMFG NEXT GEN" when people aren't even allowed to order the new consoles yet and it still has to be backwards compatible to the base PS4.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Anyone planning to try and buy one today?

11. The_Crapman

I'm hoping scan give me one for holding isac hostage for a month :hehe:

Interestingly the pages and categories aren't up for them yet. Wonder if they'll not post them till 2pm to try and prevent bots from picking them up. Can't program a bot of you don't have a web address to target can you?

12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

For those trying to snag one try adding them to your wishlist and then refreshing that - worked when I got a 3070. However if the pages aren't there to add to wishlist then not sure what you can do apart from mash F5!

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That seems to be the prevailing theory on the AMD subreddit.
    Sadly, my wallet is insisting I wait until Xmas or later to get one (or an RTX3080) anyway.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mine is insisting I wait for reviews, as should everyone else :p

15. The_Crapman

With Nvidia bringing it's own SAM implementation soon, there'll have to be another round of reviews after that comes out. lol

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Reviews are up.

6800 destroys 3070 and 2080 Ti
    6800XT not quite as quick as 3080, but SAM may bring it in line, depend on the game.

(according to relative chart on TPU)

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

According to Overclockers, 6800 is £599.99 & 6800XT is £679.99 (if they had any!)

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Compared to Scan Overclockers were overcharging (heh!) by around £80 on both SKU's.

Also having tried looking on both sites at 2PM the launch was once again an absolute cluster ****.

19. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm now leaning towards 3080 if I can manage to get one not far off FE prices otherwise it might need to be a 6800xt

20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Yay ! More shiny vaporware !