1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Strange Stuttering in-game? Just started.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by pete*, 7 Sep 2020.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

So i'm trying to work out what is causing my games to stutter like they are...

So far i've tried three games (yes I know not the most optimised), that have so far this last couple of
    weeks run perfectly. As I only built the PC few week ago, not even that.
    In CSGO, COD:MW, Horizon Zero Dawn...

The game will stutter/ jerk about for a second or two. Almost like lag. And a bit of rubber
    banding feeling.

However, my FPS stays stable. Around 140-158ish on COD, 300+ ish on CSGO. Limit it to 120 on
    CSGO and it stays on it exactly. Ping is also totally stable (28 in one, 43 in the other).
    No packet loss according to the games, or other strange fluctuations.

The only thing i've seen (that might be strange?) is in Argus monitor the GPU is going up and down
    its memory clock constantly 200-400-2500-200 etc... while i'm ingame. This sceen shot where I have my cursor is while I was in CSGO. I've never looked into this, so if that is completely normal (the mem clock switching) then ok.

But I still can't work out what it is causing this weird stutter. Makes COD unplayable, and CSGO/HZD a little more bearable but still stutters.
    I reset my nvidia settings to default and that did nothing, redid the shader cache etc

Anyone know a reason it might be doing this or of any other fix or something I could try?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

What Power Plan do you have Windows set on? This can sometimes happen if you're on Power Saving. If so, try balanced or high performance, or better still, enable Ultimate Performance power plan by following this guide:

1. Right-click the Windows icon on your taskbar.
    2. Select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
    3. If prompted to give permission to the app, click Yes.
    4. Now, copy the command below and run it via Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell:
    powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Now head back into Power Plans and enable the new plan, if it's not already.

3. pete*

I had it on High Performance Power Plan, and changed it all so it doesn't sleep the monitor/hdd/etc no hibernation, no Fast Startup Windows etc
    Just enabled the Ultimate and it turned some bits back on, But i'll try it.

4. pete*

Nothing changed with that. :(
    But while playing the stutters exactly correspond, as far as I can make out, with the blue line (Mem Clock Mhz) dips/jumps for the GPU while
    in CSGO. So wonder if a way to lock it at a speed to test if that is the problem, maybe? if that is a way.. ;/

Attached Files:

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Have you OC'd the card at all? Are you running MSI Afterburner etc?

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you run gpuz whilst playing for a bit you can view the sensor tab and see if it says what's limiting the clocks, and if there's a change during the stutters.

7. pete*

Nope never been overclocked, don’t have MSIAB. And only monitoring tools I have tried, Argus monitor and hwinfo64? Is it? Tried speedfan but that didn’t work.

I’ve downloaded that to try it later And msi AB which apparently is good?, at work now.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Afterburner is great for general gpu oc and in game overlays showing live clocks/temperatures etc.

pete* and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You don't need an MSI board to use Afterburner. I'm running an Asus Strix card and absolutely loathe the buggy Asus OC software, so have always used Afterburner - plus, I find Afterburner to have more granularity and I can dial in a more stable card, much more easily.

Even if your card is stock, try setting up a default/stock profile in Afterburner and in the settings, set it to launch at Windows start and see if that helps. The third party software might force the card to hold it's clocks rather than dropping to an idle state.

pete* likes this.
  10. pete*

Managed to do a small bit of testing.
    I uninstalled Argus monitor and other bits (Ryzen Master, Armoury or something).
    Ran CSGO again, strange rubber banding/stuttering still. Same with COD:MW.
    So I ran with Afterburner... CSGO doesn't work with the overlay, COD did, and neither show
    any drops with the MemClock on GPU... still getting all the stuttering etc, but GPU looks 'ok'
    by the numbers. FPS solid, GPU/MEM Clocks at full solid not dropping. :/

So no idea why ArgusMonitor was showing with the clocks going up and down...
    Now, not sure what else it could be causing this stutter.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2020
  11. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

never mentioned the card? memory is the first thing to start crappin out on older cards

12. pete*

Ah, it's a brand new, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2070 Super

But Afterburner shows memory to be performing fine, it stays at one clock while in game... unlike what Argus Monitor showed.

I don’t know if it is completely relevant... but when I open NVIDIA Control panel, it is ‘slow’ almost laggy.. never had that before. I’ll try changing options and it’ll skip and take a bit to select, strange feeling.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
  13. pete*

So... after going back and forth between the games, and Horizon seemingly sorting itself out.. the other two still stuttering. I tried COD WZ training part, and got no stutter...
    Tried ‘offline with bots’ on CSGO... still a slight stutter...
    COD made me think it is a network/net issue, CS made me think maybe not.

So I turned off the WiFi 5ghz, still stuttering. Turned off the 2.4?ghz.. stutter gone.
    With 5gz on it’s fine... 2.4 stutter...
    I have everything wired, only phones and amazon use WiFi and they’re all on 5ghz, nothing uses the 2.4... so
    Very very weird. Ping never fluctuated ingame, unless it was just so fast the game and other monitors didn’t register it.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Do you have the ability to use ethernet to rule out the issue altogether, even if just temporarily running a cable?

15. pete*

Oh I am using Ethernet other household computers all use Ethernet too, the only things using wireless are the phones and Amazon’s fire stick, and a google thing. All using 5Ghz band. None using the 2.4.
    As soon as I turn off the 2.4, stutter stops.
    Turn it on, stutter starts up again. But nothing shows as connected to it in the router ‍♂️ very strange!

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

None of that makes any sense to me. There's no obvious reason that a 2.4GHz signal should be causing non-network equipment hardware issues on a PC connected via ethernet.

17. pete*

I know, I don't understand it either. I don't use that on the router anyway. It was set up seperate to my 5Ghz band with a different name and password.
    So I wonder if something, somehow, got on it and was causing a sudden saturation of bandwidth that affected everything on my network...

Thanks for all the help from all of you though, much appreciated!

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Nearly 2 months later, it's probably sorted by now...

19. pete*

It is sorted. Was WiFi/net things weirdly.

And TechGuruz post is identical to one by Sentinal up the page, wonder if it’s a bot?

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It is - registered with the email "bulkdevices.seo"(!) Buh-bye, now.