1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stand Alone Stream PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by OcSurfe, 18 Nov 2020.

1. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Hello,

Ive recently update my rig to a 5950x/6800xt gaming rig.
    My old one consisted of a 8600k, 32gb 3600mhz RAM, 2070 Super with various M.2 and SATA SSDs. Now the Chassis that I have built into is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 which has the space at the bottom for a Second ITX System which I am intending to use as a dedicated Stream PC. Due to it being ITX I need to use a CPU with integrated GPU so I was intending to put the 8600k to work in this role on a new ITX board. My question is, Will the 8600k be enough to encode a stream or do I need to look at a newer generation i7/i9 to get this done?

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Maybe this should go in the Hardware thread?

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Depends how you plan on streaming. Perhaps a capture device of sorts would be a better option, the likes of those sold by black magic for example.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

An i5-8600K should be fine for CPU encoding. An i7 for moar threadz would be nice, but if all that PC is doing is encoding your stream then you should be fine.

You'll absolutely need a capture card for two-PC streaming though, and it's worth bearing in mind what resolution/refresh rates are supported for passthrough. My Elgato HD60S can only pass-through 1080p60. Even Elgato's top-end 4k60 Pro PCIe card can only passthrough 1440p144 at most, and that's a £200 card.

If you can get away with a single PC setup then it's absolutely worth aiming for that. Have you tried doing tests with your new machine? The 5950X is an absolute beast, you might even get away with CPU encoding on a single PC. If you're worried about impact on CPU performance then bear in mind that your 2070 Super has dedicated silicon for video encoding (Nvenc) which is supported in pretty much all streaming platforms. I know you said you've just got a 6800XT, but if you can run the 2070 Super in a second slot (assuming your PSU can handle it!!) then it's absolutely worth looking at, even if the only thing you ever use it for is live video transcoding. The 2000/3000-series Nvenc hardware is *extremely* well-regarded when it comes to streaming.

If you're dead set on two PCs then I'd absolutely recommend getting a separate case for the MiniITX board, put the 2070 Super in it, and use that GPU to do the encoding. Like I said you'll also need to worry about capture hardware in the second PC as well.

Just to illustrate how much raw power you're dealing with in your new PC... I stream on a PC with an i5-3470 with 8GB RAM (single stick, no less!) using the Nvenc encoder on a GTX 1060 6GB. I can simultaneously stream and record at full 1080p60 - although I scale down the output to 720p60, since 6mbit/s (the max Twitch supports) isn't really that much for fast motion at 1080p60. I do capture from a console rather than using a single PC for gaming and streaming, and I can't use any video overlays because they really do make my CPU cry... But my PC is a pocket calculator next to a 5950X with a 6800XT and I manage just fine.

Feel free to PM me or ask anything more here, getting a streaming setup going has taken over my life for the last couple of weeks! :grin:

OcSurfe likes this.
  5. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Thanks for the Advice Byron,

Im more than likely to recoup the some of the initial system costs by moving on my 2070 Super, Hence why im looking at CPU encoding. I have ended up getting a 10700 (Non-K) as A friend was selling it with an ITX board very cheap. As much as I would love another tower, I just do not have the space hency why its all having to go into the same Chassis and is the paramount reason I bought the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2.
    I have some friends who are partnered twitch streamers and they send the footage to there second systems over the home network, which is currently the option that im going to explore. if I cannot get it to work then the 4k60 will be fine as I only game (at the moment) in 1440p 144hz.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

For encoding the video feed on a second system or even on a single system for the time being if your CPU has an iGPU you could always use QuickSync. Quality isn't too bad and doesn't stress the CPU for other tasks. For a time I used an Avermedia HD PCI card to encode video in a single system. When I did stream.

Using a second system for encoding you will need a capture card for sure. Using the second system for OBS/SLOBS etc.