1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thoughts please?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by desertbaker, 21 Nov 2020.

1. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

PC 2 threw a 'wobbly' yesterday. It has a clean, minimum win 10 pro on ssd, 2 x 1070 GTX non SLI, i7 4770K and was producing about 2.5 ppd keeping my room warm. Suddenly I'm down to 500,000 ppd with the GPU's at approx 20% utilisation each according to HWMonitor. Here's the curious thing:

If I remove a slot, the remaining gpu goes back up to 100% and 1.25m ppd. Doesn't matter which card is working which suggests it's not a blown gpu. I don't have any cpu slots running.

I've run sfc /scannow on the win installation - no issues. Nvidia driver 432.00 and FAH client control 7.6.21.

Is it a psu issue? Any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance

PS it means Dave Goodchild is going to catch me even sooner!

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Not seen that before - how long was the machine running before things changed?
    Worth updating the nVidia driver though to see if that gives it a kick ...

3. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

It's been running for many years. I think I am going to have to stop production and swap many components around until I find the culprit. I'll let you know.

edit. The last time I rebooted that machine was on the 12th Nov, 9 days ago

Last edited: 21 Nov 2020
  4. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

All sorted but no idea why.
    Was working outside when we had a short power cut this afternoon. Came in and restarted all PC's. Sat down later intending to trouble shoot and saw the PC was producing 2.3m ppd with both gpu's active. I have no idea but will leave it alone. Perhaps I need to install linux on that machine. Passed the 3bn mark but Dave_Goodchild gets ever closer!

Arboreal likes this.
  5. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Glad you are back up and running - sounds like a weird one!

6. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Thanks. Fingers crossed!

7. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

An update and a tale of caution. Found the problem to the GPU's only working at 20%. The Corsair H100 which had been working 24/7 for 4 years gave up and the cpu was overheating to 100C which slowed the GPUs. When I reloaded windows a few weeks ago when I first started having problems I did not reload the software to warn of overheats etc. New cooler arrived today, fitted and I'm a lucky boy with everything working normally. Had a few 'failed to get assignment' no WU's available so have 'babysitter' working in the background. Anyone else have a lack of WU's?

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I just started folding again today (don't get too excited!) and have had quite a few issues getting WUs. I believe it is being addressed shortly.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Just as I thought I might catch you up in 2 years time! Have you a new GPU? 30 something? Thanks for the WU info,.