1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Legion 5p laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Duker981, 21 Nov 2020.

1. Duker981

Duker981 What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I've just bought a Lenovo Legion 5P Laptop, the spec is as follows,

Amd Ryzen 4800H Octacore CPU
    8gb of Ram (I upgraded it to 16gb)
    256gb SSD
    2060 rtx graphics card

What I'm wondering is that I read after doing a Google search that the 2060 gfx card in laptops was the full 336gb/s bandwidth model but GPU-Z is only showing the bandwidth as 264gb/s, is that correct? If someone could explain it to me I'd much appreciate it.

Also that Quake 2 RTX on steam absolutely crawls when I do the timedemo or even attempt to play it at only 10fps, I've updated the NVIDIA drivers to the newest available but there's no difference.

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

laptops will often run internal GPU when it believes the Laptop doesn't need the grunt of external GPU

you may need to enable high performance mode to kick in dedicated or create a profile to force the Nvida, example below.

But of course it could just be that raytracing it too heavy for an rtx 2060, try quake with raytracing disabled if possible.

How force your laptop to use GPU enabled card instead of Intel HD Graphics adapter | Powerled's Blog (pgeorgiev.com)

As for the bandwidth, you probably need to measure loaded as gpus will downclock, bur it could just be lower spec also, there is no consistency to what laptop maker do with the hardware to maintain under a power envelope.

3. Duker981

Thanks for replying but apparently the only available option is the NVIDIA RTX2060 gfx card as the Radeon gfx card is part of the CPU and just doesnt show up in device manager or task manager or even any system info programs which is strange. And i would have thought that a Octa core cpu and rtx 2060 would get decent frame rates in Quake 2 rtx but even in standard opengl Quake 2 it only manages 31 fps :idea::idea:

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

There are a number of different RTX 2060 mobile GPUs, yours is the one with a TDP of 65W, not the 115W one which has more memory bandwidth. That being said, what resolution are you attempting to play at?

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If it's the 2060 MaxQ 264gb/s is the normal bandwidth. At 1080p on OpenGL (RTX Off) it should be running Quake 2 and hundreds of FPS, so that doesn't sound quite right, as for what to do about it, sorry I haven't a clue.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The other obvious question, was it plugged in, on battery most gaming laptops enter tragic mode.

8. Duker981

noizdaemon666 1920x1080 is the resolution I tried.

fix-the-spade thanks for replying much appreciated.

sandys that was the problem... it was plugged in but despite the high cost of the laptop (over £1000) after upgrading the ram and putting in a second NVME SSD the 3 pin power adaptor the end that goes into the power brick part of the power supply is insanely far too lose and wasn't/won't go in securely enough so you literally have to stay super still in order not to disturb it... and even though I've emailed the manufacturer they just asked if I've got another charger not that they'd replace it which is a bit poor in my opinion.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good to hear you have got to the route cause, not so good to hear about the PSU, hope they sort you out.