1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Thanks AMD + MSI you suck (rant)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Osgeld, 22 Nov 2020.

1. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Bit of a story here, I built my Ryzen 7 2700 back in late 18 and had it up and going early 2019. Originally I was going to use my old Radeon HD 7950, and of course it went tits up as I was gathering parts. XFX (good company) honored its lifetime warranty that they offered when I bought it and sent me a RX570 (it was slightly faster and slightly more ram, and it was during bitcoin craze ...cool).

Butttttt I wanted something newer, no hope of getting a current gen card this year without being raped I said fine what can I get for ~ 300$. Biggest bang for the buck was a MSI Gaming X RX 5600XT (name please) Got it on Tuesday just got to putting it in on Saturday.

I got a fat card in a tiny case, added onto it a 3month old and a 5 year old on me and custom mods did not mean I could just wish this damn thing in there, so that took for ever to install, but that's on me. The machine ran fine all day long doing windows tasks then finally in the evening, woot, lets run some 3d mark!!!!!!!

Load up time spy, the second it goes into directX mode bam blackscreen and reboot, does this on anything 3d. Spend half the night fiddle farting with this stupid thing I finally nailed it down. The moment the memory hits 1750Mhz it craps, sometimes a bit sooner but, pretty much you know that once it gets past 1500mhz its going to go down very soon.

So thanks AMD for that half arsed hand grenade you imposed onto the world, and thanks MSI for selling me a new card that crashes at stock speeds ... kind of pissed at you both at the moment. Card is going back to newegg and I guess I will just wait another year to play 2015 titles at a solid 60FPS

Early Merry Christmas (BTW The bios updater for MSI doesnt even know its a MSI card, how cute)

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Sounds like you unfortunately got a DOA. Won't Newegg replace it with something similar?

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

nowt worse than when a component "sort of" works and only dies under pressure. You've always put in the work of completing system before you know - then spend ages hoping it's some silly setting you've accidentally changed. Good luck with your RMA - hopefully they'll have you a new one (5600XT's shouldn't be low supply surely) in a week or so,

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I saw this and just wanted to apologise for falling into the fallacy of Joined Forum Date snobbery and implying that you're a born-yesterday kid in another thread. Nobody has said woot since the early 2000s. Merry Christmas, grandpa :grin: Hope you get a replacement card with minimum fuss.

Osgeld likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Could it be PSU not up to the task? Does GPU-z log 12v rails? Try logging monitoring those while inducing a crash.

When I upgraded to 2080 Ti recently, it would also crash in similar way (black screen, though system logging still happens but no way to get back except reboot) whenever demanding 3D game is launched and GPU starts to ramp up. Voltage to the card dropped below ATX spec (11.4v min). I replaced 8 year old 550w Seasonic with new 750w and the problem went away.

6. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

No I watched it with a scope as that was one of my first thoughts

wyx087 likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

5600xt was a bit of a shitfest at launch if I recall, with last minute gpu and memory clock speed bumps.