1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whenever someone mentions 'Magna Carta' it summons David Allen Green.... And apparently you don't even need to say it three times into a mirror at midnight. (Click-through for thread)

RedFlames likes this.
  2. walle

walle Minimodder

The point of using an analogy is to bring someone to an understanding by drawing from something that they have experience with.

(The immune system deals with infections, a vaccine would be a software update)

They've done it many times, sometimes the update was corrupted, damaged, or simply didn't work well and the system got sluggish, unstable and didn't perform at it's optimal level, at which point they had to roll back to a previous version or remove them all together and start from scratch.

Of course, as human beings this option is not available to us, once it's in our system it's in our system for good. One of the risks posed could be that the software would be corrupt and or interfere with any previously installed version(s), etc.

But I'm digressing.

The analogy works just fine, unless you're being stupid on purpose.

3. walle

walle Minimodder

Are these 'lockdown regulations' actual law or not?
    I suppose government would fine any would-be customers visiting her salon as well.

No one calls off Christmas, not even the late Alan Rickman.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2020
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 25 Nov 2020
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yeah, probably crossed wires. I did say in my other posts that I didn't think "enough was known about any COVID vaccine in the long term", but we got there and it was interesting along the way.

Never had a flu jab and don't intend to. I do however know that they change them yearly based on anticipated most trendy strain - what I'm less clear on but assume, given the rapid annual reformulation/dispensing of the jab (and under the old reg approval conditions too) plus the fact the strains are being surveilled, is that (most of? All of?) the strains are known to science and therefore there is some experience of them. I get that this excludes mutations but haven't looked into stats etc. properly, so open to correction. And if they're surveilling it THAT Winter, then they have - what? - a few months to knock up a vaccine? This thing right here? It's brand spanking, hence the current situation and the stops being pulled out approval-wise. This doesn't happen every year with flu jabs, so is it that they're just taking a punt on the flu jab for that year working?

It's like I painted my walls red ten years ago and it worked with the sofa cushions, but now the missus has changed the cushions (new strain of virus) so I've painted the walls orange (new vaccine) but it now doesn't jive. So we've got to sample different cushions now (testing phases) to find what matches, but we don't know if we'll still be keen in ten years' time (long term/late onset/whatever).

Hell, using thalidomide again, as far as I'm aware the Oxford trial excludes pregnant women (earlier link). What happens when one of them needs or has had a vaccine because they're a nurse who finds out she's having a baby but has to continue to work or has already had the jab? I believe there is literally no research for that.

All that said, I am going to have to explain to Mum that Christmas is probably not a good idea en masse (of three), so I'm not disregarding this whole affair.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So you are an anti-vaxxer, then? Wish you hadn't claimed otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted my time.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Wow, man.

Disappointed.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

No, the hardware/software analogy doesn't work with the human body, because we are not computers (at least not in the modern meaning of the word 'computer'). The only reason you continue to use that analogy is to support your own anti-scientific and anti-vaccine conclusions.

You can't cover for a bad argument with insults or poor analogies, and I know damn well the argument you're trying to make with the 'unnatural substances shot into our body' gambit. If you recall, you, I, and many others here had pages and pages and pages of that very same discussion in another thread; a discussion in which you flat out refuse to accept that cultivar plants and vegetables that we grow for food - including those grown 'naturally' or 'organically' (which are also ******** terms, but I digress) - count as being genetically modified. I remember it well because you still, years later, refuse to tell us what you had for breakfast.

Your arguments are wrong, and both I and many others here have demonstrated many times why those arguments are wrong. That is not insulting you. This, however, is how you insult someone instead of engaging with them:

Please, by all means, contribute something substantive for once.

Anfield likes this.
  9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

If I get offered the vacine for Covid, I will have to speak to my doctor about it first because I have a history of reacting badly to vacines.

Still even if I end up in hospital, I will probably get it because it's not just to protect me it's to protect my family.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is another reason my whole family will be getting it: there are people out there who can't get it, for whatever reason ranging from a history of bad reactions to a depressed immune system. The more people who do, the safer those who can't will be - and likewise the more people who could but choose not to, the more dangerous it is for those who would but can't.

Risky, Mr_Mistoffelees and yuusou like this.
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This is the same reason why people should get all the vaccines that are needed. Some people just can't. If we don't get the vaccines we put those in danger.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Or he isn't within the group classification of people who are offered it every year, if you don't need it / aren't at risk of complications if you catch the flu why would you ever have it?

ModSquid likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Same reason I get it every year, despite not being within the group classification of people who are offered it every year: the free cup of coffee or tea Morrisons give me when I pay £7.50 for the vaccine at Morrisons Pharmacy.

Or the bit about helping to protect those who can't get the vaccine themselves - like @yuusou says above. Not everything people do is me-me-me, y'know.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm guessing it was the "don't intend to" bit that Gareth may have had an issue more than not having had one in the past.

Edit:
    And maybe what he said.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That's a new one on me, I've never known anyone get a flu jab who wasn't in the at risk category.
    Having a mooch about, the NHS only offers it to those at risk whereas the CDC actively recommends it for everyone.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Interesting: almost everyone I know gets the jab every single year, whether they're in the at-risk category or not. Also, I've had the flu, and it absolutely sucks. Like, big styles. It's not just "a bad cold" as some people like to think: even when you're not in the at-risk category, it'll knock you on your arse.

The way I remember it is: imagine there's the equivalent of a couple of weeks' salary lying outside your front door, in cash. If you can get yourself up off your sickbed to pick it up, you ain't got flu. £7.50 a year to not feel like that again is an absolute bargain. Even without the free tea or coffee.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yes, it isn't pleasant as I found, ever since then I've always taken up my free jab, and make sure my daughter gets hers too.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I’ve gotten, and paid for, the flu jab year on year - never been classed as high risk. As do a great many people I know.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Geez, I don't think I know anyone who gets it, and it can be had for free through the company I work for.

Personally, I just don't really think about it. I've had the flu once (new years 2000, I remember it distinctly) so I know how bad it is but it's not something I even consider?

Edit: a quick google suggests 20% of people in the UK had the flu jab last year.

ModSquid likes this.
  20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Some companies offer the staff a free flu jab.

The company I work for offers it every year, and this year they had to stop after the first round because they only had a limited number available and they were all booked within minutes.

ModSquid likes this.