1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DIY USB2 rear IO plate in black

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dynamis_dk, 29 Nov 2020.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Needed a rear IO plate to allow access to some of those USB2 headers on my motherboard but didn't really want to settle for those cheap looking ones from eBay where there is a huge bit of plastic molded inside, screws showing on the back plate and the wires are all think plastic coated - yuk!

So here is a crack at my own using some pcb perfboard, black sticky tape and a bit of braiding. All parts I already had in my bits box so total project cost me a couple hours of my time. Project brief was to be black to fit in with a black theme ITX build and to have no screws on the back plate as that was what bugged me about the eBay ones. Simple little project keeping the modding flame alive when I have little time to do anything bigger :p

IO plate was made from 1mm aluminium and bent over a metalwork vice, was very happy with the stiffness once the bends where put it in as I initially thought aluminium would be too floppy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of painting the underside of the PCB in black epoxy but the underside isn't really visible in the case I'm using so not 100% sure. If I leave it as it is, I can always repair in the future if anything happens so I'll think on it.

Big Elf, Arboreal and enbydee like this.
  2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Well, that is loads better looking than the ebay ones you're on about. Nice job.

3. dynamis_dk

Cheers guys, I must say myself I'm pretty happy how it turned out and given I had all the bits already, I'd call this one a successful little project :)

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Nice job, and be thankful you only went USB 2. I've ben working on my own USB header and soldering 18 wires for USB 3 only to find it won't actually do USB 3 speeds and nobody explains what the 19th wire is for or where it goes is just a little maddening. not to worry, I only need it for mouse and keyboard :p

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Excellent job.

6. dynamis_dk

Thanks guys :)

Yeah I sympathise with you there, in my search for USB2 pin out images I came across the USB3 ones and was glad I’m only needed connectivity for a mouse / keyboard to free up the built in USB3 for external storage and my capture card