1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Oculus Quest 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 13 Oct 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Echo VR is a free Oculus multiplayer game that is extremely immersive and gets you to turn in all directions. There is bots mode and a lobby to get used to the controls. This is an excellent game to get used to VR in completely different virtual environment: zero-G.

Lone Echo is the paid single player story driven game in the same universe. I can highly recommend this for everyone.

Cerberus90 likes this.
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Well, if all the talk of minor nosebleeds had put me off, the thought of starring in my own home movie has brought me back into the fold...

Cerberus90 likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

So there hasn't been many end user reported breaks of the elite strap so I'll probably pull the trigger when they restock as the included elastic one is absolutely terrible. I think the smart strap is the battery pack, if nothing more than to balance out some of the weight of the HMD from front to back, even if you don't need a 5 hour battery life.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've bought an elygoo rear strap thing from amazon to try (mainly as its cheap) and some controller grips.
    Also bought HL alyx yesterday as it's on sale. Got VR Desktop too and sidequested the patch so I can stream steam wirelessly now. Even on non gigabit ethernet and 5GHz WiFi I couldn't detect any noticeable lag while trying out 'The Lab' on steam. The archery game in that is awesome, my arms should definitely start getting stronger with all this holding a controller out at arms length, :D

Sentinel-R1 and wyx087 like this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yeah, the SideQuest patch for Virtual Desktop is an absolute must, particularly if you have previously purchased content from Rift or Rift S, allowing you to enjoy it wire free - and it absolutely just works seamlessly.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Dang, controller grips arrived today, tried to fit them, couldn't get them on, looked on amazon listing and noticed it says not quest 2 compatible, :duh:. Have to return them now at £4 cost to me, but can't seem to find any others that seem to be guaranteed to fit Quest2 that look any good.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

What is it about the standard controller ergonomics that you're struggling with?

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Nothing, I just want a silicon cover to give a bit more grip and the straps so I can open my palm without the controller falling out my hand.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thought it worth mentioning on here that Humble have a VR bundle on offer at the moment. Might be of interest to some.

wyx087 likes this.
  10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i think amvr are doing quest 2 grips, worth checking them out

11. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Just got a Quest 2, first foray into VR!
    Hopefully my router (ASUS RT-N66U) is good enough to enable me using virtual
    desktop with my PC to play Alyx, and the same with PC (Ryzen5-3600/2070S).
    If I can get all that set up properly. Really don't want to have to spend £80 on a cable. :hehe:

If anyone knows that the router will definitely not be good enough, I wonder if
    the ASUS RT-AC85P would be more suited?
    I'd have about £100 to spend on a router to improve it if anyone has a different solid recomendation.

12. wyx087

I've got AMVR grips for my Quest 1, they are great.

The router might be a bit short on wifi performance. Make sure you are on 5GHz and 40 MHz channel width to get best quality. Hopefully should be able to achieve near 600Mbps within line of sight.

HL Alyx scales very well. I had no problem playing 8 years old i7 2700k, GTX 970.

Any USB cable can now do link. You no longer need USB 3. The default cable came with Quest can do Oculus link. The Quest 1 cable was 3 metres, JUST enough for standing. I've bought a 5m Amazon basic USB 3 cable and it works well.

pete* likes this.
  13. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

PC and Router are within about 2 ft of each other and i'd be sitting/standing with Quest within about 4-6ft direct
    sight of the router. So *hopefully* good enough. :)
    And yay for the link *incase*.

14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

having tried a quest 2 i am tempted to get one and sell my quest 1. now facebook say you need to keep your fb acount in good standing i have one but i only login once a year around summer time to check on various motorbike groups planned ride outs and meet up. dont have any friends etc added or anything would i run into any issues?

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

No, I don't think you will. You just need to have a valid Facebook account 'in good standing'. You don't have to be on it every day. I don't use mine heavily either but have had no issues with Quest 2 whatsoever. The most useful feature with Facebook link has been finding Facebook friends that have Oculus devices to chat/game with.

Their issue with the 'good standing' is linked to their drive to make VR a social platform and cut out the cancerous people that abuse/troll etc. All their new apps are social related ones where you interact in VR chatrooms, so can understand why they retained some control over account statuses, for the same reason you'd get a Facebook ban for posting hate material on their website too.

Yaka likes this.
  16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just bought the Quest 2, and boy I am happy with it. Took me a while to get a decent Wi-Fi signal to it, but since that is sorted I am loving it.

Some games I have played so far:

Beat saber with custom songs is a blast.
    Half Life Alyx is good once you turn off the "teleport moving system" and use normal walking
    Walking dead has some good jump scares and has me playing for around 40 minutes at a time
    Phasmophobia is damn right terrifying. so much so I cannot bring myself to play it :lol:

pete* likes this.
  17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Has there been a price drop? Was the 256GB always £399?

18. wyx087

IIRC 64GB is set at £299 and 256GB is £399.

I think Rift S has been discounted from £399 down to £299 since Quest 2 release.

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, my mistake - apologies. Thought I'd found a corker!

20. wyx087

The Oculus Quest 2 should have v28 firmware updates installed by now, with v28 PC software, you can now enable AirLink. Effectively supporting wireless PC VR gameplay natively.

I tested on Quest 1 via a sideloaded apk that hooks onto the firmware code (meaning the code is also in Quest 1 firmware). Visually and smoothness, it feels better than Virtual Desktop. It's a big step up from ALVR I started with, a small upgrade from Virtual Desktop. Only downside is the audio is slightly glitchy, which I think is more due to unsupported nature on the slow Quest 1 hardware.