1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Anti Compensator Project: A Monochrome Hadron Air Build..

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by keenan, 27 Nov 2020.

1. keenan

keenan Minimodder

This is turning out to be quite the morning..

The postman just dropped off a very non-suspicious looking box!

[​IMG]

Opening it obviously calls for a bladed object of equal size and stigma!

[​IMG]

Inside however are the most fitting items I could have hoped for in regards to this build!

[​IMG]

These Slim fans from Akasa are only 15mm thick, but still manage to push over 50 CFM of air/1.36 mm-H²O static pressure at a very modest 30dB!!

Also included are some extension cables and a very low profile 5 port PWM hub that will be used to run all the fans off a single fan header.

We will definitely put it to the test ;)

[​IMG]

With this I would like to say a massive thanks to Ivan and the people at Akasa for their continued support. Whether it's due to colour scheme or size, their products always fit in perfectly!

Thanks guys, it's always very much appreciated..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Dec 2020
  2. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Alright, it's been a busy few days, but I have managed to get some of the cables done and after so many years my fingers had definitely forgotten their involvement in the matter..

They soon remembered though.. :wallbash:

Anyway, I had plenty of black and grey to make the perfect monochrome pairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, while I liked the faded look of the 24pin, I felt it definitely needed something to define the pattern so I added some minimal white.

I definitely like the contrast more, but I might change it for a light grey once rebuilding starts..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Dec 2020
    Vault-Tec, Toru, Karrek and 2 others like this.
  3. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Oh man, I remember following project Marshlands, that one was simply amazing! You set the bar very high for yourself and I can't wait to see what you'll do on this one!

4. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Thanks Ianovski! It's good to know I am competing with my younger self :naughty:

Today I have finally received some more items for the build.

First of all, some hardware!

From the beginning I was set on using a B450 motherboard, but the one I liked the most was from Gigabyte and sadly that was the one that had the worst reviews due to shortcomings on the VRM's. However, there was a great offer on the newer B550 recently so I saw it as a sign.

Anyway, here it is..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, given that the case no longer has a drive cage, I will only use solid state storage. Now, I realize the B550 motherboard is Pci-e Gen 4 ready, but I went for something that is without a doubt the best bang for buck..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further more I have finally received the first of the water cooling packages all the way from the other side of the world. Given the current state of the world and the fact the Christmas is upon us, I am rather impressed with the time it's taken to get here..

Anyway, I do plan on using every single fitting in this photo...and a few more!

Also, yes I am a big fan of Barrow..

[​IMG]

The main reason for that is the overall quality compaired to the low cost of their products of which I am definitely in love with this waterblock!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, some screws neatly sorted, until the next time i open the organizer..

[​IMG]

As well as some plexiglass already cut to shape and size.

[​IMG]

And last but not least, the one single item that I have been waiting for the longest. The item that has been delaying progress on this build actually taking form.

This lovely bit of sheet metal that has definitely not been man handled on it's way to me! :eeek: :duh:

Hopefully I can manage to get it back in shape and reasonably straight.

[​IMG]

Well, that's all for now. If everything goes to plan the rebuilding should start next week, so fingers crossed..

Last edited: 18 Dec 2020
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

One bent corner, no tire tracks, I'd say you did alright. :lol:
    -I once had a batch of copper and aluminum plate shipped to me in a box, unwrapped, with a single packing pillow tossed in like a big 'FU'.

keenan and Arboreal like this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

B550i goodness, looks great! The B450i was nice too, but it does have those shortcomings.
    I do think that ALL decent ITX boards should have 2 M.2 slots, and sadly only Asus have gone that way so far.

Looking on with interest, GLWB

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

MSI's B550 ITX board has two M.2 slots, but it is an MSI board, so you'll probably pay for that somewhere else.

Arboreal and keenan like this.
  8. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Well, since you put it that way I actually feel fortunate.. ;)

The Aorus B550i that I'm using in this build does has 2 x M.2 slots as well. One under the heatsink above the pci-e slot and another on the rear of the motherboard..

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Arboreal

That's brilliant news on the double M.2 front, good to hear that things have been improved on 5th gen boards.

Still have MSI issues @David?

10. Arboreal

@keenan, how's the Hadron conversion going?

11. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Sorry for the really late reply. Things have been somewhat hectic and emotional over the last month and the lockdown really hasn't helped either.

I should have some further updates next week if all goes to plan..

12. Arboreal

No apologies needed. IRL is pretty mixed up and skewed at he moment at the best of times.

Hope you're OK, and know that we are out there providing 'immoral' support to our extended B-T 'family'.

keenan likes this.