1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Merry Xmas, Byron C & Bit-Tech, and take it easy

Discussion in 'General' started by boiled_elephant, 14 Dec 2020.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I just saw Byron C has gone dark from the forum for a bit, which is absolutely fine. It was in response to some activity in the Awesome thread, which arguably he's overreacted to a bit, but hey - let he who has never overreacted a bit to something on the internet cast the first stone, right? I've been in his situation, I think a lot of us have, and I remember what it feels like.

Anyway he's having a rough year, we're all having a rough year. 2020 sucked and Bit-Tech has been proportionately fraught at times as people get stressed and cabin fevered. I just wanted to say something positive. Whatever's going on in your life right now, take it easy and look after each other.

Also face reveal, and yes, you could land a helicopter on that fivehead, I'm well aware.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I didn't know what to expect, but I'm not disappointed!

And FYI, you are clearly a better person than those who would attack you for asking questions :thumb:.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Very nice touch and well put. I and many others wholeheartedly agree.

Love the self deprecation too. You can't poke fun at others before yourself. Merry Christmas pal.

LennyRhys and adidan like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well, that was bloody nice. :thumb:

We can all have bouts of histrionics, easy to take offence, easy to cause offence, take things too seriously, take things not seriously enough and so on.

All of us are guilty of that, a break can work wonders, my few days off did after feeling myself getting dragged down that hole. We all bring our own baggage online and, you're right, we can add our own filter without realising. And there's alot of crap out there bombarding us on top of our regular individual crap.

Hell, I can't count the number of times i've read or sent a text that has been read in the oppositie way it was intended, well, the same can happen here.

This is a nice supportive albeit waffly post btw, just to be clear!

Arboreal likes this.
  5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Wasn't even for me but I needed that!

flibblesan, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly, that was an awesome thing for someone to do. Much <3 @boiled_elephant!

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Many good points I completely agree with. A really nice message. I sometimes forget that what I read or what I post is not read in the way it was intended. A worthy reminder.

I think on this particular forum that most posts are not meant to offend. We are an odd bunch, but I think that is why I still return.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

It'd be dull if we weren't :thumb:

Fizzban likes this.
  9. boiled_elephant

I'm making a conscious effort to 'like' more posts that I read and appreciate the person having written, but even so, I'm still only liking about half of the things that I read and get something out of, so as not to appear like a complete sycophant. So the original point about the positive reception of your forum contributions being mostly invisible still very much stands.

@Byron C you've inspired me to start Youtubing properly, by the way. Seeing all your assorted online projects, most of which have only modest views but which were nevertheless indisputably of lasting value, made me realise that I've been thinking about online content creation all wrong. I was subjecting myself to a weird low self-esteem 20th century TV exec standard of "you can't trouble the internet with your content until your content is an amazingly polished product with mass appeal". Which is dumb because the whole point of YouTube is YOU. You can do whatever you like with it. And it doesn't have to be the next SlowMoGuys or Tom Scott to be valuable and worth doing: even a personal series that amounts to little more than a vlog or diary is still worth a lot to posterity. I barely know anything about my parents and grandparents' early lives, and I'd give my right leg to see what they were thinking and doing with their lives thirty years ago.

So that's your xmas gift to me, you've inspired me to stop being neurotic and down on myself and just do all the stuff I've been telling myself I can't do online, so thank you for that.

Byron C, Goatee and xaser04 like this.
  10. adidan

Just think twice before starting an onlyfans site :lol:

Seriously though, I was thinking about what you were saying about your grandparents early lives the other day. My dad died before phone cameras became what they are now and I have no video footage of him at all. No video, no audio.

So if you want to do stuff online just go for it. So long as you get something out of it you may be surprised who else it strikes a chord with :thumb:

Sentinel-R1 and boiled_elephant like this.
  11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Mate, a lot of people don't even have themselves in shot; just take a page from Big Clive's book, it's all about the dialogue.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Really nice post and a great video.

Also really inspires me to go back to what I used to love doing as a hobby which was reviewing stuff (anyone who has been around long enough may remember my Eyefinity reviews / threads).

:)

13. boiled_elephant

[​IMG]

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I started to do this a few years a ago over on a different site (with dare I say it, a "younger" population) where its quite commonplace. It appears in areas on BT like the modding forums, (big shout out to @Cheapskate ) and despite initially being against the concept due to it frequent overuse in other sites and society in general, I have grown to "like" it.

It allows me to show appreciation for a post, thought or effort without needing to directly reply or add to the conversation. Like a nod from someone as you leave the barbers, I hope it gives someone else a little lift.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-Ew, Feelings and positivity. :lol: It's 2020, guys. Having faith will get you burned at the stake.
    @boiled_elephant - That was sweet. Don't feel bad about the forehead. At least you weren't born like that like me.
    @Goatee - A little short post is good too, even a single word or smiley. I feel the likes aren't enough to keep project logs going.

Goatee likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yikes - don't dig too far back into that old stuff - there's all my half-baked and half-arsed ideas that I never finished in there! :grin:

Getting started can be as simple as just... doing it. You're not going to have all the equipment, your editing will probably suck to start with, things aren't going to go as you planned, you're going to have videos where you get stuff all views... But what's important is, as you said, you. Viewers will forgive a lot if the person talking is engaging and the viewer is interested in what's being said.

Honestly though it's a shame I never finished some of that old stuff. Some of those videos picked up a ton of views... I have absolutely no idea how I got over 1,000 subscribers and over 48,000 views on one video - it's insane!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My old videos are still getting views now, god knows how - I even had a comment posted a few months back lamenting the fact that I'd abandoned these projects because my videos kept coming up in their recommendations!

[​IMG]

I mean, I didn't do it for the views or the subscribers, but clearly people are (or at least were) interested and it bugs me that I've left stuff unfinished... I do want to revisit some of those old projects, but I want to try and avoid having too much stuff on the go at once because that's exactly where I was a few years ago: there was so much stuff that I wanted to get done and I put a ton of pressure on myself to make sure I was getting content out there... Eventually I just said "f*** this, I'm sick of this s***!"; I even sold off all my electronics stuff a couple of years ago because I wasn't doing anything with it...

I am going to try and re-launch the channel in the new year, but I want plan projects better rather than just winging it. I don't mind doing videos unscripted - even if I scripted everything I'd go off topic pretty quickly - but I need to be more disciplined in terms of determining what my end goal is with any given thing... I've got a few things lined up that I'm going to start with: sorting the case for my upscaler interface board, finishing the custom amp I started, and bolt-modding & repairing my Model M keyboard...

adidan and boiled_elephant like this.
  17. boiled_elephant

I'm just gonna do talky videos like the above, purely because I enjoy it. Somewhere deep inside, I think I missed my calling as a teacher or therapist or some such, cos all I want to do all day is explain stuff and listen to people.

adidan, Fizzban and Byron C like this.
  18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If you enjoy it, others will too.

boiled_elephant, Byron C and adidan like this.