1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watercooling advice build gpu cooling loop

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by DanH, 18 Dec 2020.

1. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

Hello again i have been thinking of watercooling my gpu for a while. I have a thermaltake tower 900 case and would like to put in 2 res inside eeach side. There is a catch though I only want to watercool the gpu and not the cpu the cpu has a kraken cooler with the nice display so i want to keep that intact.

i have the following
    thermaltake tower 900 case
    2x pump res combo which i would like to use in each side like you normally see
    2x 240mm rads
    plenty of tubing
    gpu block to be purchased for 3090
    I would like to make use of this kit for the asthetics and cooling the gpu
    I was looking for suggestions on the best was to set this up in the case and which order to have the flow especially as i am using 2 rads and 2 res pumps in 1 loop. Will there be any side affects for this. 1st time i will be going custom cooling for a gpu

thank you

Last edited: 18 Dec 2020
  2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Order of components doesn't generally matter as far as cooling goes. The coolant will reach an equilibrium temperature through the whole loop based on the dissipation from the rads Vs heat dumped in by components.

It's generally good to have a pump directly after a reservoir to aid filling, and make sure the pump never runs dry. Not really an issue using combo units. Otherwise just go for the best tube route based on ease/aesthetics.

Two pumps is likely overkill, but gives you some redundancy against failure, at the expense of more potential noise. If they're hardmounted they'll transfer vibrations into the case. My pump's on a bayres and whilst quiet is still the loudest part of my setup.

Also, how thick are the rads? A 3090 will be dumping a lot of heat into the loop (more than a CPU would). The Gigabyte Waterforce has a 2x120 rad, but I'm sure I've seen others with 3x120. If they're thin rads you may find yourself close to the limits of the combined heat dissipation, which will mean running the fans faster/louder trying to keep up.

3. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

4. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

240mm is the hotspot 2 of them should be good i wonder how is the best way to put 2 of them together in series of the loop

for some reason i want to get a ridgewallet :worried:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd do the loop in this order rad>res/pump>gpu>rad>res/pump.

Its a shame you can't adjust the speed of those pumps. Beyond that it won't matter. Those pumps aren't great, but two of them will move the fluid through the system fast enough to not matter about order tbh.

6. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

thanks the pumps have 4 pin connectors which can go to the motherboard so i can control them from there i think. is this the best way to setup the loop the 2 round things are the flow meters
    i will make sure the pump are rotated 90 degres so the outlets are facing backwards.

Can i invert the top rad upside down to minimize tubing length or is it best to have the ports at the top of the rad
    [​IMG][​IMG]

thanks for the help everyone i am excited to get this setup. i have ordered the gpu block so should be heere early next week

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Odd comment with thermal limited GPU boost the era of water cooling video cards started years ago, in fact even before that if you were ever running SLi and not watercooling your ears were in for a world of pain as the heat build up was immense.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If anything it's less "necessary" than it was previously, as before Nvidia and AMD could further segment or separate cards on their clocks, even though most would be capable of more. Why spend an extra £150 on a top tier overclocked model, when you can buy a reference design and a waterblock and turn it up to 11 and keep it whisper quiet.

Gpu boosting has taken quite a bit of that potential performance gain away, as the cards will rag themselves pretty close to max on air, temps willing. Possibly also due to it becoming harder to extract more performance through architectural and lithography improvements therefore making it necessary to push the clocks harder than they previously would. But all that also comes with a good chunk more power usage, leading to the 3 slot 30cm plus long behemoths, which can still get loud. Although the cost of watercooling has gone up a bit recently, the silence it provides while ridding the card of 450W is still worth it.