1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wifi woes! (fast, linux-compatible pcie wifi card?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 19 Dec 2020.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with wifi, mainly because I've always avoided it! Other than our phones, a tablet, and a few other low traffic devices I've never really used the wifi here so I've never had to think about it and I'm out of my depth.

I've stuck an old atheros ar9485 card in a htpc that unfortunately lives 'off grid' in our house and can't have an ethernet connection but it's painfully slow. Transferring files it tops out at 1MBps, it's so slow that our plex server often downscales files. I think the card should be faster than this, any ideas why it's slow? Is that just how fast wifi n is?

We have a talk talk branded Sagecom fast 5364, which as I understand it is actually decent for a freebie. It's dual band, a b g n ac.

Is there anything that I can do to improve this situation? Moving either the router or the pc (they're two rooms apart) isn't an option so I'm assuming my only option is to buy a new wifi card? I'm also really keen to avoid powerline if possible.

Cheap, linux compatible and pcie recommendations anyone? Or any other suggestions?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You can raise your home gateway, try aim one or all the antennas towards the room where the HTPC. Same for the HTPC, try aim the antenna towards the home gateway.
    Even though they're 2 rooms apart, try and make sure there's nothing added in the way such as furniture or big 'ol metal heaters,etc. Try and create as clean a "path" for the waves as possible.
    You can also try only using 2.4GHz band. If it's not congested where you live, it should penetrate through walls better than 5GHz.
    Get bigger antennas.
    If your HTPC has a m.2 Wi-Fi card slot, get the Intel Wi-Fi 6 Gig+, it comes with the Intel AX200NGW which I personally have working on Ubuntu 20.04.
    If your HTPC has a PCI-e slot available, you can try the Asus PCE-AC88 which comes with 4 large antennas and a little base that'll let you put the antennas somewhere handy.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Thanks for suggestions both.

It's annoying because network manager reports a 72Mbs link, which should allow for almost 10MBs. Why aren't I seeing these speeds in normal use?

Tags: