1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Guess I'll be that guy and say that when they announced it in 2012 they very proudly declared they already had two years of development under their belt. Then that changed to a year of 'pre-production' and a year of development. They've been at this a decade already.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Maybe the two years leading up to its tenth anniversary are the "24 months" of development in which your Golden Ticket invited you to participate!

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think we can all agree that whether it's been 10 years or 8, it's been a very long time.

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Star Citizen is no longer a game, it's a meme.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Chris Roberts honestly should be in court over this. Madness

SuperHans123 likes this.
  6. rollo

rollo Modder

The rules of Kickstarter were met when he delivered his demo that you can play, technically you got a product.

to deliver his goals could easily take 10 more years, the last time I played this about 3 months ago, the same UI issues still plagued the game.

ship control while fun, was nothing different than games from 10 years ago

if the game had launched as it should of done in 2015 to 2016 we would of all raved at it.

as it is now other games have surpassed what he aimed to achieve and the MMO component will never see the light of day is a feeling.

Sq42 when it’s done will be the end of this, well if it’s done that’s also been promised for a good few years

This is why no major studio will deal with chris roberts anymore, he does not understand a deadline

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I logged on to check the recent buggy update and there were two people on my shard (50 people max) that had bought EVERY ship, and buy every new ship that comes out.

Last year this thread predicted the very near demise of Star Citizen, instead they have broke sales records of their digital ships.

$336,000,000 and counting. While people keep reaching in to their pockets, it won't go anywhere.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Major difference between Demise and a Released Finished product. This game has at least 5 years more in development if the buggy beta I played was anything to go on. If they admit that instead of saying it might be next year or the year after the sales would dry up pretty fast.

$336 million for a beta that has not improved much since the orginal one, Ship combat feels worse than it did then.

Duke Nuukum set records for how long a game could be made, Star Citizen will easily hold the record.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH we just got a valid example. Cyberpunk is a game with a massive scope and ambition, with triely next generation graphics and highly detailed environments. It was first teased in 2013, so was probably already well into production at that stage. It just got released. So to be in the same time frame Cyberpunk would have needed to be in dev for 1-3 years before that teaser trailer came out. And I think this is where Star Citizen went wrong. Too much focus on the multiplayer. If it had been a single player experience we'd probably have it by now. But because everything got focussed on multiplayer and single player its still, and probably will be for a long time, ongoing. Its in a catch 22 of can't dev fast enough and then needing to rebuild to meet the next generation of standard and engines that have surpassed it. Personally I lay it at the feet of whoever the project managers were, it seems like an ill thought out and totally badly planned and managed operation.

The worst thing now is, it can never live up to the expectation. It'll always be a failure.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Er, Chris Roberts?
    Yeah, Chris Roberts.

Bloody_Pete and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I still reckon this might all end up on a compound in Guyana...

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I know he's the project lead, but it doesn't mean he's the project manager...

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've read this about ten times and I can't even tell if it's sarcasm :D

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oh no, an honest statement! A CEO isn't a project manager remember...

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Are you saying that Chris Roberts isn't the single driving force behind SC development? That there are some PMs under him who are forcing development down a route that he doesn't want the project to go? That a guy, famous for his oversight of games development and insistence on following his specific vision, who founded and owns the company, is sitting about doing nothing whilst others take the project off in a direction that he didn't want? Especially when that direction seems to be "added complexity" when Roberts himself is notorious for over-ambition?

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Heh. That had already been in use by some of the SC folk.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

3.12 has been released. Very pretty space clouds!

A bunch of other stuff. Still no Crusader planet, it's kind of weird they have all these moons and planets you can land on then one big blob next to Port Olisar that hasn't changed since 2.0!

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

A very in-depth letter from the Chairman

Squadron 42 is in "close-out mode" - but no mention of timescale so I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. "When it's done".

To be honest, playing Cyberpunk in it's current state, I'd rather wait till it is finished. I've literally given up on Cyberpunk until it is polished - whenever I tried to consistently use stealth and then reload I got a crash to desktop.

In terms of the predicted end of Star Citizen, they increased their yearly income by 60% over 2019 which itself was a record breaking year for income up to that point. So, I assume, unless there is a massive court case and class action, I doubt the end will ever happen while old and new players keep pumping in millions of dollars, euros and pounds etc.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2020
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Another round of "it'll be done eventually" and "we can't give you any specifics yet" but "keep giving us money"... so business as usual.