1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Normal gloves, but pick up a pair of silk liners / gloves to keep your warmth in.

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I considered the muffs, but given the himalayan riding in my future, I don't want to take chances with a fumble/foul that pitches me off a mountainside...

these Halvarssons look right up my street, I'm going to try and see if there's an importer in India!

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I can't decide if I'm envious of your life or relieved I don't have to navigate something like that.

Byron C and stonedsurd like this.
  5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

So this showed up in the shop the other day. A guy just didn't have time for it and wanted to get rid of it. 1979 Honda CB750F SuperSport in Ikea form. With the title, which is bonus for a free motorcycle.
    [​IMG]

Arboreal, Byron C, yuusou and 2 others like this.
  6. Jumeira_Johnny

Since the '79 CB750F got such a nice response, here are the 1980 CB750F (running) and the 1981 CB750K (current urban scrambler project).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there is any interest, I would be up for a build log for the Kilo I'm currently working on.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As long as you actually finish it this time! ;)

Last edited: 29 Dec 2020
  8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

sweet workshop you got there, plz do a build log m8

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Have you been talking to my wife?

Thanks, it's just a corner of a much larger woodworking shop. I rent it with two other guys from my MC. It's much more cluttered these days.

10. boiled_elephant

Jesus, I wish I had a big dry well-lit space like that. Mine are stood outside steadily rusting away. I can't be arsed lying on wet concrete with freezing hands cleaning and weatherproofing them.

My most recent acquisition - a Hyosung cruiser - is all chrome-shiny-looking at a glance, but actually it's all just chrome effect paint over unprotected metal. Like so many Asian knockoff brands. So it's rusting like pig iron in a slag heap.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I also have to put up with a cold and damp driveway...! :grin:

Honestly I've been thinking about getting some kind of gazebo or tent or something that I can put up when I want to work on the bike. Even when it's raining constantly - like it is now - if I'm using the bike regularly then I still need to wash it...

Luckily I'm not using it regularly at the moment, so it's not so much of a big deal... Cleaning a Pan European is going to be a much bigger job than my NC750X was!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I installed a nice 5 foot long tube heater for mine last week after noticing a bit of damp in the garage, nice n toasty now :grin:

[​IMG]2020-12-21_01-43-51 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

13. Jumeira_Johnny

It's well worth the money. It gives me a place to go during the day when the kids are at daycare and there is no one within 20 meters. With my wife working from home, it's truly a life saver. I share it with two others, but they are rarely there during the day. It doubles as a space to drink a few beverages that is low risk, so my wife is less worried about my Thursday nights out. There is music and snacks.....Everything a middle aged man needs.

boiled_elephant and Arboreal like this.
  14. boiled_elephant

In terms of vehicle condition, how have you found the difference to bikes' degradation in winter, storing them in there vs outdoors? I've always struggled with rust, but I presumed it was more to do with riding through winter salt than simply exposing them to rain and moisture. Now I'm not so sure.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You need to make friends with a big tub of ACF50

boiled_elephant likes this.
  16. boiled_elephant

I have tonnes of the stuff! The problem is it's cold outside, and it seems to need reapplying several times per winter.

I briefly considered paying some neighbour's kid to do it, but then realised I love my bikes too much and don't trust the youths enough for that.

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Honestly, I have never stored a motorcycle outside. Before this, they were all stored in the garage, wedged between cars and beekeeping equipment. But, I store them the same way; full fuel tanks with stabilizer and a trickle charger. Oil and filter change, air in the tires when it gets over 40 degrees F. Starting in the spring of 2021, which ever bike is running will likely stay at home in the garage.

Edit: Most people here who do not have indoor storage use a fitted cover that cinches below the axles. Those seem to hold up well and offer enough protection from wind, rain, and snow.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2020
  18. Jumeira_Johnny

This came in today. Happy New Year's to me.

[​IMG]

The cylinders and pistons for the '79 SuperSport. Manky! But everything about this Ikea bike is in rough shape. I now have, in one form or another, 3 of the 'same' bike with 4 of the same motors. I may have a problem, since I'm still looking for an '84 Goldwing.

19. boiled_elephant

Blimey. Is this your day job or your pastime?

20. Jumeira_Johnny

This is definitely my past time. I'm a full time foster dad and hunk husband. My wife just likes to keep me out of trouble. She figures I'll never have time or money for other women and drugs. She's right.

I did get a build table made this weekend. It's been snowy so it's the perfect time to do it. I'm at a point where I need to start making decisions and I need to see things outside of my head. It also cleans things up a bit to make getting to the motor easier, since that is next.

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant and Arboreal like this.