1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LG teases 48-inch bendable OLED gaming monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Jan 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If it's 2160p, I'll add it to my wishlist. 1440p or lower, and it's a hard no.

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

The screen might perform ok - who knows (0.1ms makes me super sceptical)
    the sound stuff - fine when you compare it to mobile phone speakers,
    but how are you gonna make a 300 pixel wide tuba sound like a tuba?

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

NXT flat panel speakers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_mode_loudspeaker) were quite well thought of at the time, albeit they didn't really take off. Generally any flat panel technology relies on a large sub for low frequencies, but that isn't necessarily a problem as low frequencies aren't very directional.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

at 48" it needs to be more than 4k res as my 43 4k pixels are starting to look chunky but sounds interesting, don't care about the audio but a nice 48inch 5k 21:9 that I could curve to suit sitting up close would be nice.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  6. Paradigm Shifter

I might be doing the maths wrong, but 5040x2160 would be OK? I'd prefer 32:9 (7680x2160) as that would act like two 4K screens (although I think 24" is too small for a 4K screen, so...)

I just want to know what the res is, and the price. Then I'll decide whether I'm interested or not. I fully expect it to be too spendy for me, though.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup the current res used by some 21:9 for 5k is 5120x2160 but is done on things like 34inches which are usable at ~160dpi but not sure it'd comfortable for me to be staring at 12 hours a day, in fact I know its not as that is what my laptop is and if I put it desktop space away its legible but not ideal without scaling, whereas at 48" would be and much more reasonable 115dpi, 32:9 at the res you suggest would be in the same ball park as the 5k 34 incher ~165dpi.

My current screen is bordering on unacceptable at 103dpi even if the screen is 3-4ft away from my face and one of the reasons I haven't jumped on the 4k@120hz 48" LG as that just getting worse but many love that OLED.

As you say price, res and performance are the key but I can see the appeal to being able to curve and uncurve for when sat back watching media.

I imagine being gaming focussed it is going to be some lame 1440p based derivative for £2k, I've got a 1.3m wide screen space to fill lets hope its got more favorable specs.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2021
    Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  8. Paradigm Shifter

Agreed. More's the pity.

Tags: Add Tags