1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Epic are killing it with the free games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by stephen0205, 17 Dec 2020.

1. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Looking forward to picking up Dankest Dungeon.

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

What was Sunday's game?

I think this an extremely clever ploy by Epic. Load everyone's account with decent titles and they will keep coming back to start milking the cash cow!

3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

They've been doing this (giving away games) for a long time now. Would be interesting to see some stats as to how effective it's been in driving sales from other platforms across to Epic.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

At the start of 2020 when Epic talked revenues Sweeney mostly credited the exclusivity deals for having driven revenues rather than the freebies.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, that was my impression too but I couldn't find any numbers to back it up :)

Personally, I may take Epic up on their offer of free games (I have done so a few times) but that doesn't make me any more likely to buy my games from them. I suppose it works in the sense that I have their client installed on my PC, and I have about a dozen games on my account, but I don't think I've spent any money on any of them...

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Same here, got a fair few games in the library (not played any yet though) but not bought anything. So far.

I even let the £10 voucher expire - if I could have used it on not yet released games or if Cyberpunk had released earlier I probably would have though.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I picked up Watch Dogs Legion and AC Valhalla on the cheap... but then again not buying anything is kind of the smarter approach, no risk of getting mad when it goes free half a year later :p

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

How dare you! How dare you indeed Sir!

My character has never suffered such an accusation!

Good Day!

:happy:

boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm a capitalist whore, so I'll basically just buy the game wherever it's cheapest. If Epic want me to buy stuff, it's pretty straightforward: make its sales dip like £1 cheaper than Steam's.

I can't believe Alien Isolation is free. That game's the tits and it's still like a 'current' AAA game in my mind.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2020
    N17 dizzi likes this.
  11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Likewise, anyone thinking they are giving away bargain basement rubbish is nonsense. These games cost me a lot of money when I bought most of them on steam etc.

It really is an awesome give away for anyone who hasn't got them. I spent my £10 voucher on Borderlands 3 which only cost me £6.49 - My bro paid £40 last year for that!

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Valhalla any good? Can't decide whether to get it now or wait till it's cheaper, haven't got on with Odyssey at all (infact I hate it) so I'm a little unsure whether to drop £30 on it.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Today's freebie is Metro 2033 Redux.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Overall it is pretty similar to Odyssey.
    There are some changes: mainly they tried to make dodging matter in combat and several of the NPCs are more involved in the main story rather than being Fetch Quest Dispenser #657, but underneath the Viking veneer it is ultimately tweaked Odyssey, not entirely new.

Weirdest thing for me though is how they missed the opportunity to have ship combat...

I still enjoy the game, but if you didn't like Odyssey I'd wait until its very cheap tbh.

boiled_elephant and Cerberus90 like this.
  15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Well its looking like this is correct...

Cant say that the next few days excite me that much :/

adidan likes this.
  16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Awww ... They gave mw that for free a while ago. Although I've got to say, I'm thinking of actually buying a game off them (that valhalla thing), so eventually the freebie strategy might just pay off

17. adidan

Same here but I imagine some will be chuffed.

I can't grumble, i've got a few freebies off them in the past and i've yet to play any of them.

18. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Just used my voucher to pick up Tony Hawk 1&2 remake (largely for my kids which love skateboarding but also the nostalgia I have for them), first game I've paid for on the platform. Having never played Alien Isolation, was good to get that for free.

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I bought Tony hawk as well, hammered the crap out of it on a few sittings and nearly finished all the main challenges.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Battlefront 2 next week!

adidan, TechBuggy and wyx087 like this.