1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Maybe this explains higher than expected Ryzen Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgoaty, 31 Dec 2020.

1. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I've found 2 of the 3 3600s i've played with and my 5600X to run hotter than expected with a freezer 33 H55, and H100i coolers. It turns out a lot of the more recent Intel CPUs are slightly concave and some cooler manufacturers have been making their cooler convex for better contact.

This would be totally fine except Ryzen 2/3/5000 CPUs are convex too potentially meaning sub optimal contact with the IHS.

There's some good info about it on Igorslab it makes me tempted to get lapping again which I haven't done since the core 2 duo days :)

https://www.igorslab.de/en/kuehlerb...amd-and-conkav-reader-test-and-picture-story/

https://www.igorslab.de/en/cpu-heat...asures-now-at-amd-and-intel-rethink-basics/2/

https://www.igorslab.de/en/amd-heatspreader-as-time-changes-measure-data-radiation-and-surface/7/

https://www.igorslab.de/en/intel-heatspreader-as-time-changes-measure-data-voltage-and-surface/9/

I read about this on another forum and found it interesting and worth sharing.
    Thanks
    Scott

hamza_tm, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Thanks for the info - I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 5600x or 5900x so this is useful! :clap:

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

My R7 3700x runs hot with the stock Wraith Prism cooler unfortunately, so I'll have to keep looking. I get 60 degrees idle. Same whether bios or windows. It's not loud though, and tops out at 78 or so under load.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Something is very wrong there: I have a 2700X with a Wraith Prism, fan set to low, and I'm idling at 35°C.

6. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Whilst 60 seems high (case dependant) I'm pretty sure my brother's 3700x was idling at 50+ too on the wraith in a cavernous 700D, until he replaced it with an AIO.

My 3600 idled in the mid 40s on the box cooler outside of a case, not sure if that was a prism. It's taken a load of water to drop it to 30 idle but still runs pretty hot overall.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I’ve pored over the interwebs trying to figure out if this is normal. There are mixed results tbh.

You have whole swathes of the net saying it’s normal. But there are certainly a significant number who have very reasonable idle temperatures. So far I’ve not been able to figure out a common factor.

The fact it’s so high in the bios suggests it’s a hardware problem. I’ve not yet tried reinstalling the cooler, but I plan to build a custom watercooling loop anyway just for fun really, so we’ll see what happens.

8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I've found the 3 and 5 series chips to run significantly hotter than the 1 and 2. That said my 3700x was cooler than my 3600/x for some reason.

I saw a video about the best way to apply Tim to these CPUs. I normally just do the pea sized blob but I tried the other way yesterday and it seems to work ok. Might be worth giving that a go before doing anything else?

Last edited: 8 Jan 2021
    hamza_tm likes this.
  9. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Must admit, I went straight for the pea sized blob too. May have to experiment next time I drain the loop and see what the contact's actually like.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Welp nothing to lose! Thanks, I’ll give it a go

12. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I had to ditch the wraith cooler on my 2700x almost immediately as it was horrible. The AIO water cooler I put on was better, but I still had to go though and change all the ramping profiles to keep brief temperature spikes from spinning up the fans. I initially suspected it may be an issue with the IHS to die contact, but I'm almost tempted to try lapping it, although I'll have to wait until 5600x's are back in stock in case something goes wrong.

13. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

My 2700x ran pretty cool. Must be luck of the draw I think. I've had 3 3600s and 2 of them ran a lot hotter than the third in the same system. It's strange.

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

That's what I'm suspecting, CPU lottery

15. kim

kim hardware addict

This is something I really wondered...why my ryzen is so hot even idle, I only have a 3600 XT without any OC yet, and the temps are between 40 and 45 celcius degrees when idle...
    My FX 8370 is only at 12C when idle with the same wraih prism cooler, I thought 7 nm wouldn't be that hot, but it finally seems normal, regarding to all what I've read through internet...:rollingeyes:

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...you're reading 12°C with an air cooler? What's the room temperature - are you working inside a walk-in fridge or something?

17. kim

kim hardware addict

I just come back from work and read your quote, so I started on the FX rig and took a screenshot, this evening it's a bit cold in the room; 18/19°C
    so, it's even less than 12°C :happy:
    unless coretemp is totally messing out, here are the temps:
    [​IMG]

18. Gareth Halfacree

CoreTemp is messing out: you can't go below ambient with air cooling. It's not physically possible. There's no way that CPU is nine degrees cooler than the room it's in.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Try HWinfo, those readings are wrong.

What are your temps in the bios?

20. kim

kim hardware addict

now that you mention it, I realise you are totally right, I believed in Coretemp without questioning myself about that abnormal result...but...following Adidan's advice, I installed HWinfo, and here is what it shows:
    [​IMG]
    if I open the sensor status, refering to the CPU line, what means that 11.1°C...:oldconfused:
    I'm totally confused now :duh: