1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden: his time as the 46th US President

Discussion in 'Serious' started by yuusou, 6 Jul 2020.

1. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55606594

NOBODY IS LOOKING AT ME I DON'T LIKE IT I KNOW I'LL TRY TO START WORLD WAR 3 THEY'LL ALL LOOK NOW!

As much as I agree that pushing The People's Republic China to at least begin to normalise it's relationship with the old Chinese Republic is a good idea on principal, I'd much rather it was Biden that was doing it and not Trump in his last flailing days. Although I guess Biden could drag his feet on reversing this particular decision, he 'is' Sleepy Joe after all.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Actually this one isn't bad. Easier for them to do now and Biden can say "well it wasn't me but I'm not sure I can change this just now........"

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nicola Sturgeon has already said he won't be welcome in Scotland as flying in to go golfing is "not essential travel".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-55553493

My guess is he'll try his mates in Saudi Arabia, as they have no extradition treaty with the USA, and his son-in-law Jared has been spending a lot of time there in the last few months.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Spectator on top form, I see.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The original title is accurate - Donald Trump wasn't as bad as we thought. He was much ****ing worse.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55609903
    And already the Brexiteers are looking for ways to curb freedom of speech off the back of this.

Twitter follows it's own rules, years after it should have done and well within what the law as it stands requires them to do in the UK already.
    Matt Hancock, "They are making editorial decisions,"

Last edited: 10 Jan 2021
  9. RedFlames

It's one of those 'if twitter and facebook actually enforced their own rules properly Hancock et al would've been booted off years ago' things isn't it?

10. RedFlames

11. Risky

Risky Modder

It's worth reading his whole thread on this.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Read the whole thing; completely disagree. Trump was ash-canned for violating the Ts&Cs, exactly as anyone else would be. Except not, because he's been violating them for the past several years, and got *way* more leeway than he deserved. (Incidentally, someone created an account that tweeted exactly what Trump did: it lasted less than a day before its first temporary ban, while Trump's account remained active...)

If kicking Trump off Twitter is censorship, then so is not letting me into your house to watch the fitba. I'll be round next match, make sure you get the beer in.

13. RedFlames

14. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

No thats a breach of Covid rules, and will earn you a fine

https://www.nme.com/news/music/iced...-trump-supporters-who-stormed-capitol-2851172

i really dont know how to feel about this, i like Iced Earth, i have even got some of their merch and regularly wear one of their Shirts, but im not sure i can continue to wear it and support such a muppet

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Twitter is trying to claw back some good press with regards to Trump. Same with everywhere else that has banned him in the last week.

They should have all banned the outrageous arsehole years and years ago, much like they should have banned all the murderous death threat sending **** heads that have, and had, accounts on their services.

It's a self preservation thing, same as all the aides and Trump appointees that have resigned.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Are there even any matches to watch at the moment, or are they all cancelled like in the first lockdown?

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I disagree with his conclusion, but I agree with some of the points raised. Some truly horrible people have Twitter accounts, and people say some truly vile things using Twitter, yet they get to keep their accounts.

Banning him however is not an act of censorship, it's Twitter doing what they should have done about 8-10 years ago, frankly - let's not forget that Trump started the whole 'birther' ******** because he didn't like having a black man as president. He's not being silenced, he still holds the attention of millions of people around the world because he's still the POTUS (for now). He can hold press conferences, televised addresses, speeches, rallies, etc, if he damn well pleases.

Trump hadn't been banned before now because he drove so much traffic to Twitter. Honestly I think the only reason he's banned from major social networks now is optics: Facebook and Twitter allowing him to keep his accounts would cause more problems for them than the pushback they'll get for banning him. If any of these gigantic corporate monstrosities really - truly - gave a **** about enforcing their rules clearly, consistently, and fairly then they would do it; with the amount of money and resources they have this is not an insurmountable problem.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, cannot agree with him at all on this. Trump should have been banned long before Twitter actually got around to it. If your argument for not banning him is that other people who should have been banned haven't been, then that is the absolute definition of whataboutery.

David likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Also, that's an argument which calls for the rest of the accounts to be banned, not for Trump's account to stay. I'd love it if Twitter enforced its Ts&Cs more stringently - but I appreciate that can be difficult with humptytump million users and a bajillion messages being sent every hour.

MLyons likes this.
  20. RedFlames

Hitting trump in the only things he cares about, his brand and his wallet -