1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Da Module Thingy - Handmade Not Sponsored

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all, the new Episode 10 is Online.

Since @Defyant Mods gave good feedback towards the videos duration of about 4 minutes, I'll keep them between 4-5 minute duration from now on.

This time you can see the start of the backbone that will support the case, the carbon fibre cable covers and the last batch of knuckles.

Within this group of 12 couples there are the 8 couples of bended knuckles, 2 couples @ 15°, 4 @ 30° and 2 @ 45°.

Have a nice day :grin:

2. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Here it is my Festive Special I hope you like it :grin:

I Wholeheartedly wish you Happy Holidays

[​IMG]

Ho Ho Ho

Last edited: 24 Dec 2020
    Dot_Kappa and Defyant Mods like this.
  3. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all,

The new Episode is online.

This time I worked a bit on the Hub and you can see the making of the new reinforced handle module, so from the plates to the handles, Da Module Thingy will have 2 handles when it's complete.

The video is slightly longer than what we planned, the main reason is that honestly I was expecting the new handle module to be a quick step in the build, but it isn't.

The "old" handle module was crafted using 1.5 to 2.0 mm or 1/32 to 1/16 inch thick aluminium sheet/tube, it worked for the normal axial loads as needed for normal vertical lifting and transportation.

With Leetfoot, the handle must withstand transverse loads when you put or lift the case on and from the dock, the "old" handle module wouldn't be strong enough and flex.

It may be possible that it would not brake, but it did flex I tested it, and the second handle help when the case is not vertical.

So here we are, the new module frame is composed by various parts, the 2 "mid" parts are made from 20 mm or 25/32 inch thick 6082 aluminium and those will be fastened to the Main frame and the Top crown.

The sides of the module that connect the "mid" parts to the handles are made from 5 mm or 3/16 inch thick 6082 aluminium, I'm keeping the "old" handle and the other one will mimic it's look but it's longer.

There will be a new cable cover, as now I have converted all the I/O connection to 1 meter or about 3 feet long cables so I don't need to detach the Top fan too often.

Then when editing the video, my brother told me that it wouldn't show much progress in 5 minutes, so it is 7 minutes long, this way you can get a glimpse at the new module at a decent level of completion.

Cheers

4LIEN likes this.
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Jazz: Oh, God! Retail job flashback! :wallbash:
    Not sure what all I saw. I'd opt for some side sheet braces on that part with the single screw. If it was a handle.

Jean R built likes this.
  5. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I hope you are alright after the flashback Cheap.

Right now I'm going to drill the frame.

As for the single screw I think you are talking about the base brace, but it's there just as a helper to avoid flex down there as the side handle is 480 mm long.
    The thinnest parts of the new module are 2 sides x 6.5 mm.
    Every screw goes through the 2x 5 mm thick aluminium sides+ whatever there is in the middle, all the screws thread are M6 but only a small part of it is 6 mm, most of the holes have 9 mm steel sleeve nuts inside.
    It is very strong, this time.

6. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

After all the zillon dollar crazy next level precision machine modding going on now it's soooo good to see some real hand modding going on here you have my utmost respect :rock:

Jean R built likes this.
  7. Cheapskate

But, MAN, does that table need bracing. :lol:

Jean R built likes this.
  8. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I know, the poor thing is dancing with the Stars most of the time :hehe:

One thing you don't know, is that my Spaceship Lab workbench is a modified shelf with 2 layer of 20 mm thick fir wood :worried: on top, the poor lad is doing its best.

I'll brace it, but right now I'm busy with the Frame, I'm not able to use the PC until I finish this phase.

Cheers

9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Update about the progresses, I was hoping to have the new handle module connected today but I had a couple of stop and go.

The first one was that to be completely sure about the strength of the case, I reinforced the base where the new handle module connect.

The second stop and go was that a drill bit broke inside the base brace :wallbash:, as a consequence I had to scrap it and craft a new one.

Hopefully tomorrow everything is going to be where it should be, and I can craft the new cable cover, after that I can complete Leetfoot.

Happy New Year :grin:

10. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Honestly I don't go crazy for this part of the mod due to video-logs :blah:
    The main reasons are:

-repetitive jobs that lasts several minutes in every video ( like sanding, cheking quotes, sanding again... cutting, cheking quotes...);
    -it's not always clear what you'v done in each episode;
    - it seems the camera frame isn't wide enough and I can't see the finished part

Jean R built likes this.
  11. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I see and appreciate the feedback, honestly I didn't post on Thursday and yesterday because of that.

I can't estimate how many hours I have spent doing repetitive jobs in checking dimensions, filing and sanding between both projects, it just isn't possible.

Right now you just see the start of a phase like drilling then see the results, unfortunately handwork is not like when you CNC or print it, where you just do some finishing and assembly.

To get the right finish with everything square takes a LOT of time, in the future I'll upload shorter projects so it'll be more enticing.

Right now only the Leetfoot fingers are composed by 108 hand worked parts, we avoided to put all the process online.

In the next few days I'll do the refining and craft the last 32 fingers parts and complete the backbone and the shells of Leetfoot.

The finished parts will be visible only in the last videos, the main reason is that I finish the parts only when everything fit perfectly, if I modify a part I'll scratch it, so I give the final finish only when it's ready for the assembly, I learned this lesson the hard way with Da Module Thingy.

Hopefully you will like the final results.

We will post some phases of the work on the videos, so someone who doesn't know how much work it's been put on the project can understand that it's a very BIG volume of work hours.

Cheers.

kim likes this.
  12. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

It was just a feedback about the "tool" you use to share the log not the work :winking:

kim and Jean R built like this.
  13. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I know, that's why I told you that I appreciated your feedback.

I think that with a different project or making process, it would be easier to get a more interesting video.

Da Module Thingy would have probably been more interesting to watch, because there are almost no part that is the same as another.

Leetfoot will get more interesting in the last couple of weeks :thumb:.

14. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

An update of the general situation about the project.

I've made a twitter account, it does what I wasn't comfortable to do with Imgur, it helps with my short videos that I usually record for myself, but now I use them to post short updates.

I'm busy pushing to the finish line and this way it's easier for me, I'll continue to upload on the Youtube channel, but this way it's more convenient when I'm too busy.

On the Youtube channel you can see how it's crafted, with these post I'll post general projects updates.

Cheers

IBMer and censored_Prometheus_ like this.
  15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Here some photos I shoot during the assembly of the MoBo back into the case after I put the new handle module in place, if you are curious you can see how the Mobo power cable hides between the MoBo and the storage frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some photos of Leetfoot here the backbone started taking shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is with the other bends added and the connector for the hub-backbone with its final shape, it's still missing the top security locking mechanism but I'm getting there

[​IMG]

and here some of the Leetfoot fingers parts as I started to work on them again to give them the final shape and finishing, it's a boring job but it must be done

[​IMG]

Cheers

Cheapskate likes this.
  16. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all, new Episode online

This time you can see the making of the new handle module and the modifications done to the frame to get everything together.

Have a nice day

17. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

True pleasure in watching your work. Thank you. :dremel::dremel::dremel:

Jean R built likes this.
  18. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thank you I'm glad you liked the video :happy:

I'm making progress with the fingers, here a short fly by of the sections really close to their final shape, the longer ones are first in line for the next modification.

Even if it doesn't look like much, it's a big leap forward for me and the project, I spent the last 3 days shaping only the end tip of the fingers sections, but now they are good for the finishing phase.

Doing repetitive jobs like this is boring for me, but the end result will hopefully pay off in the end.

Cheers

19. Cheapskate

Hot glue.. I hope your rig doesn't get too warm. I found the one part I used hot glue on in my rig getting soft.

Jean R built likes this.
  20. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Oh my, I'm pretty sure that it's a joke, but to remove any doubt about its solidity, I will answer anyway :grin:

I could have assembled it without glue, it had to be hammered to slip inside the frame tube and it has a M5 security screw from the top that now is hidden by the PSU.

I put a drop of glue so it could help with vibrations, but after having to hammer it I doubt it will do anything at all.

I'm sure that this corner won't ever get that hot, it's the base so I think that it's probably the coolest place inside the case, and being air-cooled the temperature inside the case is always about +/- 1 °C compared to the ambient temperature of my living room :thumb:.

Cheers