1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The current GPU shortage situation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 11 Jan 2021.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I just this minute checked both Scan and Ebuyer and unless you want a 4GB GTX 1050ti for £155 or a dogshit GT710, you are **** out of luck.
    I cannot ever remember the situation being this bad, this far down each manufacturer's product stack.
    I also checked Overclockers and they are selling an Asus Strix RX 570, the same exact card I paid £150 for from Ebuyer in late October 2020 for a quite frankly scandalous £280.

I guess it is down to the following:-
    Human Malware
    Ethereum mining
    Alchemy

Does anyone have any data regarding why things are as bad as they are and any inclination as to when things will improve?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Shipping is a big problem right now. It's much more expensive than it was.

Supply is also an issue. Both AMD and Nvidia (the latter more) are struggling with supply. But yeah, everything is really bad right now.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you read through the last 10 or so pages of this thread we basically discuss it all:
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/nvidia-3xxx-series-thread.377254/page-59#post-4866125

Tldr: Ming is big because bitcoin is up so much, gaming because of pandemic, more spare cash because of pandemic, more people wanting to upgrade because of lacklasture GPU's for the last generation on both sides, low yields on GPU production, Covid affecting manufacturing at the begining so no stock pile, scalpers buying up everything they can to sell to gamers or miners.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Great upload here on the subject from Tech Yes City (Aussie tech channel)

Talks about the effect govt. monetary policies have on the current situation as well as al the stuff previously mentioned.

wyx087 likes this.
  5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Remember about 7+ months ago when people were unable to buy toilet paper? Besides its not like the you market just instantly became ****... It just happen to get a little less **** for about a year and then back to what has been since the 1080 days

6. veato

veato I should be working

I've seen two listings on eBay for my exact graphics card and the final price was over £500. I paid £369.99 on 2nd September.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

It's going to be bad for the next 6 months +

You're either going to have to wait, or save up more money :(

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

In regards Scan, they aren't selling any GPU's via the website at this time. I picked up a 3060ti by calling them. I was lucky as the stock had come in that morning and someone called them the day prior and got told about stock being available.

Minor fubar as they also sold 3080's that should not have been available over the phone at the time.

Your best bet is to call them and ask about available stock. I know someone recently purchase a 3080 over the phone.