1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Playing Prey (2017) again.
    Phenomenal game.

Pete J likes this.
  2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I'm playing it on the PC and it's an absolute joy! Graphically demanding for sure, managed to nab a 3070 recently though so I'm back in business. That said, crashing like that on the Xbox is simply unacceptable.

Tbh the story is great, but the indepthness of the lore doesn't attract me that much. I do absolutely love the atmosphere and gameplay though. When you upgrade your movement abilities and jump about smashing things in the face with floating radiators... ah that really hits the spot! But then I'm a big fan of Doom and Serious Sam-like gameplay

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've yet to play Typhoon Hunter. Need to get round to it.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm about to reinstall MW2019 (without all the SSD-destroying multiplayer shite) and replay the SP campaign from the beginning, because I only ever got about two thirds through it first time.

I'm surprised more people don't talk about MW2019's campaign. I think it flew under the radar, underrated. What I played of it was absolutely incredible, some of the best story-driven FPS I've ever seen.

I'm also replaying NFSU2. I literally - please don't ban me for confessing this, I don't condone it - I literally HAD to pirate it, because my legal, purchased version won't install any more (disc's fsked). I also had to no-CD fix it because the widescreen fix that makes it work on modern resolutions will only work with a no-fix executable, not the retail one. And the game isn't for sale on any online platforms anywhere. You simply cannot buy it. EA are just leaving it in their giant vault of corporate indifference, for no reason. There's a petition on GOG.com to retrieve it which has hundreds of supporters.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2021
  5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

BAN HIM! :p::hehe:

I loved NFSU2 when it first came out in *checks Wikipedia* 2004. Wow, I feel old!

6. boiled_elephant

You and me both. It still holds up graphically, though, which means that we came into gaming at around the right time. I feel for guys who grew up with Atari and Amiga and overcommitted to those early types of games, only to have literally nothing in the modern era that the skills directly translate to.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I played the bejesus out of Need for Speed Underground on the Xbox, but I don't think I ever played #2...I remember it basically being 'The Fast and the Furious - The Video Game', but I also recall it being good fun...

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Still cracking on with this, but I have to say that the gameplay is easily the best of the series. I never felt particularly lethal in the original trilogy, but in this I'm wizzing around all over the place, slicing enemies apart with my Asari sword, before hurling Incinerate at something else, nailing something in the head with my heavily customised assault rifle and detonating a biotic/tech combo by biotically charging into something else one of my teamates has hit with an ability. Or sometimes I just hang back and use my ludicrously overpowered sniper rifle to pop the heads of unsuspecting Kett. The acting and story aren't THAT bad overall and are certainly worth enduring.

Just wish the game was more stable. Inefficient VRAM usage means that I typically get at least one crash per session, usually just by trying to activate a console on the Tempest. Plus there's one scene I have to drop the resolution to pass without crashing - a bit silly since I have 12GB VRAM. Still, the fact that I keep coming back for more says it all.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm currently fully hooked on Genshin Impact.

What I thought was a simple F2P with only a moderate shelf life to tide me over whilst waiting for PS5 and Cyberpunk has turned into pretty much the only thing I've played since... Mid October?

It's significantly more in-depth than appears on the surface and just about the time I think I've run out of things to do in the game new stuff lands to keep me interested.

I'm no longer F2P though - didn't need to to spend to progress, I just bought some of the monthly passes because gambling is fun, basically.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm still playing Forza Horizon 4 (and a bit of Cyberpunk). @Mister_Tad has tried to entice me into playing Genshin Impact - I must give it a go.

11. Mister_Tad

Go go go!

You've got some catching up to do, I'll be hitting AR50 in the next week or so.

12. boiled_elephant

Hmm but it looks all weeaboo...

13. Mister_Tad

Oh it totally does. There's a cracking game hiding behind the facade of F2P and waifus.

I started playing it after finishing BOTW on the basis of it being a shameless BOTW clone, after the honest game trailer popping up on YT

Subsequently checking a few other "real" reviews and then thinking it would be something I'd have a go at to keep me occupied for a week or two.

Few points to bear in mind...
    - It's not a BOTW clone. The environment and enemy styles and the flight/climbing mechanics totally are totally ripped off (except you can climb in the rain, whoop), but it does feels like a totally different game. The combat mechanics are way more in depth... eventually once it starts getting more difficult. It's easy at the start that you don't have to even think about the deeply confusing and complex levelling for everything, and by the time you do you'll have figured it out anyway.
    - The "free" characters are kinda boring IMO, but that doesn't mean you have to spend, you get a metric sh_tonne of the in-game currency just through the story - what you get is largely luck based, but with the amount you accumulate you're guaranteed a bunch of good stuff, and that makes the game much more interesting. It's single player anyway, so you can just play how you want.
    - After you finish all of the story content there's not much to do... you can either grind to minmax your party, or stop playing until there's new stuff (every few weeks).

As mentioned, I thought I'd kill a week or two with it, and it's turned into one of my favourite games of the last year.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

On the basis of that video, which is almost certainly exaggerating for effect, it certainly seems like much of the character design was done by thirsty teenagers...

[​IMG]

Atrocious as gambling mechanics are, I kind of expect it in a free to play game... Doesn't make it any less exploitative though.

Might be worth a look if it's free to play.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm still playing Gold Rush. Its like fishing, but with diggers, I find it super relaxing to do, and I've played it for twice as long as Cyberpunk at this stage :hehe::hehe::hehe:

16. Mister_Tad

Exaggerated for effect but yes, it's anime after all, lots of oversized... eyes. No more so than swathes of other games for the last... ever. This isn't about to make you blush if you've every played a flighting game though, or any Tomb Raider prior to the last few, much less something like Bayonetta. English dubs are a must though, the JP ones are a bit... much.

I actually like it tbh - the truly random drops make it fun, whether you're spending the in-game fake money or real money.
    I can see how some could get carried away "just one more... next time I'll get X", and reaching for the card, but then not spending money you don't want to spend is part of being an adult.

I don't think this goes so far as to be exploitative. In terms of just playing the game, there's nothing at all that's behind a paywall, it's not one of those that lets you play for free just long enough to get hooked, then forces you to pony up to finish the main quest line or the like. There's a paywall for grinding more than a specific allotment of grind post-game (or rather, in between new quests and updates), and there's shot-machine mechanics for a variety of extra weapons and characters beyond the ones you get just playing through - I think the key here is that if these things didn't exist, you wouldn't notice them missing. And you will still get some of the rarest drops just playing through the game anyway.

That said, they've reportedly made a bajillion dollars since launch... so perhaps not everyone takes quite the same adult view of things.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whether it's intentionally exploitative is irrelevant, because people who are susceptible will fall prey to it. 'Recurrent user spending' is the business model for free to play games - and many games in general - and it's exactly these kinds of mechanics that bring in the big bucks. It's not even a question of 'being an adult' or having self control, plenty of perfectly-well adjusted people are easily sucked in to addictions. It's the nature of addiction: you've got to have it, and in some cases there is very little that can be done to stop it.

For people who've never truly had a problem with addiction I think it's difficult to understand - it's definitely something I can't wholly relate to.

Anyway. I'm on a tangent again - and people wonder how threads get so off-track around here.

Weren't we talking about waifus or something? :grin:

18. Mister_Tad

It's exactly about self control, whether that's moderation or abstinence.

You can't blame dropping a grand you can't afford on a game (that in no way dresses up the fact that it's gambling... stealth gambling on the other hand needs to get in the sea) any more than you can blame Jack Daniels for your hangover or Amazon for getting you in deep debt on black friday.

As it happens I do have a fair share of experience with addiction, and not owning the fact it's down to you and nobody else to deal with it is exactly the opposite of dealing with addiction. It's not the game, it's not the booze, it's not the drugs or whatever else, it's you and your stupid brain. And if you want to fix it, it's down to you to fix it.

And yes, back to waifus.

Mr Happy likes this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's always Jack Daniels' fault, isn't it? Just like it's always the kebab at the end of the night that makes you ill...

20. Mister_Tad

It’s mixing drinks that does it for me. Mixing a bottle of red, a bottle of white, three glasses of whisky and a large port.