1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Upgrade to 4K, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 17 Jan 2021.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am expecting to upgrade my 2080Ti GPU sometime this year probably to a 3080 and was wondering if upgrading my current monitor, Acer Predator XB321HKbmiphz 32 Inch to a 4K would be warranted if I did and if so any suggestions?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I thought that model name was made-up until I google it. :lol:

What about ultrawide with high refresh rate like 3440x1440 144hz? 3080 is good for 4K gaming now, but I don't feel it'll be enough when more next-gen games are released.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh Hi Glenn ! how's you mate?

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Don't get ssucked into the 4k falacy! 1440p is a better experience in every way.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

:D 1440p is a comical resolution for a big screen, it would actually provide the worst experience on a 38" unless you sit a mile from it, only good for 27 and below. but each to their own, don't think I could go less than 100dpi I'd notice pixels too much.

Bigger the screen the more resolution you need, 4k is starting to be not enough once you are over 40inch, I'd actually like 5k at the size I use, no one is making them though in 40 inchers :(.

Its a nice res for the size I have the older 3818, only used for work so can't comment on gaming chops, nice res for size, requiring no scaling unless you sit really far back and its a nice form factor, it gives you a bump up from 1440p such that pixels aren't so blocky but less demanding than 4k meaning you might be able to sustain higher framerates easier, does have alternatives from the likes of LG though, they don't seem any cheaper.

Strange that AW38 only has HDMI2.0, you'd think it would be 2.1 for a new screen.

your predator monitor comes up as a 32inch uhd/4k already though so I am confused, or searching wrong, or do you find it too small for 4k, I would, quite high dpi.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2021
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

32" 1440p is about the same DPI as 1080p on a 24", so I happily use a 32" curved screen, infact the though of using anything smaller now seems so restrictive!

Edit: Just saw its an ultrawide, so 1440p is perftly fine for it, it'll probably have the same vertical height as a 27" monitor.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2021
  8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Fine Andy.

Doh did not think to check that my current monitor was 4K and I do like the Predator so thanks for that as you have saved me over a grand and the hassle of flogging the Predator in these difficult times.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

3840 x 2160 is the res of the my Predator and it is without doubt the best monitor I have owned so quite happy that it is unnecessary to upgrade.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Samsung G9 Odyssey. 5120x1440 and beastly refresh rates.

7.37mpx rather than 8.3mpx on a 4k monitor.

Same height as 27" so 1440p is a sweet DPI. But 5k wide.. 5k!! Gaming is a whole other experience on this monitor.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

LOL, Windows and games have a tendency to scale high dpi screens so you might find that although it is 4k you are not getting the full 4k experience and are running a 1.25-1.5 scale, I know this as I have a 43inch 4k and Windows and games often assume I am running a gamer screen with high dpi and scale everything for me and I have to go around fixing it in Windows and in games to give me the full benefits of a more normal 4k screen.

You also get the reverse scenario where no scaling happens in games on high dpi 4k and text is incredibly small, if this has never happened then you are probably very comfortable with high dpi screens and can probably look at the 5k that exist as an upgrade, though for many more pixels does not equal better, I'd love more from a productivity stand point but wouldn't want to push it for gaming due to high hardware impact.

Check your display properties and see what you are running, you could be one of those with ninja eyes that runs high dpi at 100% but if you've been running a scale it's something to consider as there may still be benefits to an upgrade/downgrade to that 38, as you're graphics card has to push a third less pixels instantly improving performance.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2021
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I must admit that I did not understand much of your post.
    Can you tell me what I should be looking for in properties?

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I get that a lot :grin: when I get some time I'll try to explain, unfortunately gotta do some work.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No problem. I am having a look in settings and see 'Game Mode' whatever that is. But I will take to Google and see if I can learn anything.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It is windows side scaling that is done to help you, have a read of this,

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-adjust-high-dpi-scaling-in-windows-10/

MS consider 96dpi to be ideal (seems low to me) and 120-144dpi high dpi, obviously screens go even higher these days, high dpi is great but MS etc and can do things to help make high dpi screens easier to use, this can have the effect that although you have a 4k screen you are scaling and effectively treating it as a 1440p screen but with all the grunt requirements of 4k.

For example my old laptop had a 12.5" 4k screen, I ran something like 200% scaling which meant that all my text etc was scaled up to look the same size as it would on a 1080-1440p 12.5" screen, it meant the text etc, looked awesome as it used all those extra pixels for anti aliasing but effectively I had no more screen real estate than a lower res screen, I could fit no more windows on etc and at that res if I gamed native my GPU would die on its arse and any text in game at native was barely legible, too small.

If you are scaling and find now and again in games with poor dpi support that text is a bit small the you might find a different screen like that 38 could help, it has other benefits too as its 6.14 million pixels from 3840x1600 to push versus 8.29 of 4k, so its like a GPU upggrade due to doing less work :D but you might find the chunky pixels of 109dpi grating if you are used to 138dpi of your current screen and run it non scaled.

Another example my 43" screen, windows sees 4k and recommends a 300% scale :D I of course use 100% because at 103dpi there is no need to scale anything (I would prefer higher dpi than that but also wanted size, so its a trade off) and I can use my 4k screen as a proper 4k screen and use all the pixels effectively. There has been some game titles though that use that recommendation and give me a massive HUD/GUI covering most of my screen, nightmare, this is happening less now though, thanks to BFGDs being a thing these days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jan 2021
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I've got that one recently but I'm not sure I could recommend it...

While I've taken to the extreme curve like a duck to water I'm just not sure others would as well.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I had a Dell 34 inch curved monitor but was not overly impressed much prefer my current Predator.

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

It all boils down to what you like and you don't know unless you use them. That means trial and error and some costly choices.

I've currently got a 24" dell 4k u24 something or other. A iiyama 27" 4k something or other. A Dell 43" P4320Q (which is godlike by the way and allows for the 24" to stand vertically next to it with almost a 100% match), the 144hz 1080p laptop screen and the GO Odyssey.

Productivity and realestate hands down goes to the 43" as I can run 4x 1080p panels and then run the vertical next to it for email.

For the right sized ease of use on the eye monitor I would say the 27" is a sweet spot to knuckle down on day to day internet browsing, YouTube etc

And gaming.. well the G9 hands down.

Ultra wide vs standard aspect though? It makes a difference sure but not as much as refresh rate. So if the choice is ultrawide or slightly lower Res but higher refresh, I'd go with the latter. Want both? God the G9 is sexual.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Christ, you must have better eyes than me! I personally don't see the point in 4k at anything smaller than 27", it's just too small. I would probably rather have a 30" or even 32" for 4k, actually.

Bloody_Pete likes this.