1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Windows 10 Machine Can't See Others on Network.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pookeyhead, 20 Jan 2021.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

When I open my network panel, I can no longer see any other machines on my network. Printers, yes... media devices... no problem... but actual computers? Nope... nothing.

However, they are clearly all still there, as A) My wife's machine can see them all, and B) I can access them via mapped network drive folders and also by directly addressing by typing the server name or even typing the IP address in.

The only machine I can see in my "Network" folder is my daughter's laptop, which connects via WiFi. Every other machine is Ethernet connected.

Network file sharing is on. All relevant services are running. SMB file sharing support and all relevant services are on and running. All machines use a static IP on the home network. My wife can see everything, so whatever has happened has happened to my machine... not anything else... or the router.

All machines are on the same workgroup. I've flushed the IP stack and DNS cache with....
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /flushdns

Any idea anyone? This is driving me up the wall! Yes, I know I can still access the machines, but for example, in Acronis when setting up a new back up profile, you can only select the network destination by clicking on it from the list and it doesn't let you type in an address, and nothing is showing in that list.

2. Pookeyhead

Also, everything is set to private network, not public.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I had this problem. I must admit that slightly embarrassingly even after quite a bit of googleing and trouble shooting I never found a solution that worked. Eventually they just came back of their own accord :oldconfused:

By way of a work around I used Advanced Port Scanner, which gives the normal options available on the network panel but continued to show attached computers.

4. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Have you turned on network discovery on your private network settings?

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

On each PC fire up the Services app and make sure the Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub) service is set to Automatic (Delay Start).
    You'll probably find that it's is on manual. Either start it manually on each PC, or change to delayed start and restart. I have seen it still not start even then though, so may require you to start it manually. You can do this via automated script, if necessary.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2021
  6. Pookeyhead

Yes.... and turned off password file sharing... on all Windows machines.

I had already done that, and enabled all SMB services... on all machines. I've tried all the usual thing you would find if you Googled this. I CAN access the machines... they just aren't in my Network folder, or any browsing side bar for that matter. The only way I can access my server for example is by typing \\Earth into the address bar... or 192.168.0.4.. either way works... but I have some stuff that won't let me do this, and I have to select from a list of devices in "Network"... and there aren't any.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I keep a book of windows tweaks. This one is for Network PCs not visible but a folder/drive can be mapped.

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

delete all entries with ## in front of it and reboot.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So do I. Specifically...

upload_2021-1-20_22-53-23.png

this one.

9. Pookeyhead

Ok.. there ARE such entries, and they list all the other machines I can't see...

[​IMG]

...but when I reboot they're back again. Grrrrr... Those however, are my mapped network folders.

What would keep adding these entries?

10. Pookeyhead

Here's something interesting though. I just checked again and the machines are all there....

[​IMG]

However, as it was just after 23:00 "moon", my server's mirror had come online (it's scheduled to come on at 11 to mirror my server each night). I'll check in the morning at 10am when it shuts down to see if I can still see everything. Coudl Moon being off have anything to do with this? I can't see why it should, but that's the only thing that changed from the first time I checked (post registery edit) and the second.

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

In my case it fixed the problem on 2 PCs and hasn't reoccurred again. No idea why it happened in the first place though, I always assumed it was a Windows update around the time SMB was tweaked/broken/made more secure.

12. Pookeyhead

I'm hoping you're right. I'll see what happens at 10:00 when my NAS shuts down. I can still see the other machines as I write this at 07:00

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Glad it's (hopefully) sorted Pookeyhead! *Takes note of registry fix* :D

Pookeyhead likes this.
  14. Pookeyhead

Ok... Well, I could see all network attached computers, until the NAS shut down, and now I can see none. I can only see all networked computers when my NAS is switched on. How is this even possible? LOL Grrrr.... this is driving me mad.