1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple M1 Processors...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackfish23, 26 Jan 2021.

1. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Hey guys,

I'm hearing some intersting opinions on the M1 processors in the new macbook pro's, being "game changing" , "Cost > Power" etc etc...

Are they genuinely that good?

Cheers

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Ltt has shown they are significantly faster than traditional laptops.
    The issue I have with them is the limitations they have currently from a user perspective (basically 16gb ram max, 1 external screen max)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

for a Gen 1 Chip they are pretty amazing, Who knows what the 2nd and 3rd gens will bring. Knowing Apple a 18 month refresh cycle on Apple mac products

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its a really impressive first outing, they are providing good performance and genuinely good x86 translation performance.

I think where it could be game changing is where they decide to go with it, CPU development in the ARM space has been seeing really good performance gains per iteration, larger than in the x86 space, with the architecture being the same in your computer as your tablet/phone you get ever closer to that point where you can have one device that can do everything.

That is where I see it could be game changing, I wait patiently for that day where you just have one device as the hub and the screen/input are just accessories to your one device, I already do this to a certain extent with my Samsung and Dex but still have to revert to remote desktop to proper machines but its close, I can do almost everything on the phone, would be great for that thing to be able to dock and do absolutely everything, Apple are probably best placed for that to happen owning their entire eco system.

I would even be tempted buy a super slim x360 style mac that could be an ipad and a mac pc for general use it'd be perfect.

As always more competition is a good thing, keeps companies on their toes innovating.

You can run any number of screens with a display link dock