1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good luck. :thumb:

fix-the-spade likes this.
  2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Aside from those in India knocking out the astra zeneca one, the country that already produces 60%+ of the world's vaccines.

Less brexit, more Germany looking to bloc exports outside of the EU, https://www.dw.com/en/eu-covid-vacc...censed-says-german-health-minister/a-56339378
    Even though their take-up is woefull https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-rolls-out-moderna-vaccine/a-56205028
    and their government saying it's only 8% effective in oldies, and whilst France and other countries delay 2nd doses https://www.politico.eu/article/french-health-watchdog-calls-for-delay-in-second-vaccine-jab/

So mostly dickheads playing at politics to my eyes.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Click through to the article and laugh at the headline. No idea what that news site is, but seems a bit poor. The quote in the article isn't claiming that at all.

Relax, you've been getting some dodgy info, the AstraZenica vaccine is mainly produced in the UK.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

All this noise is actually intended for a European audience. Vaccine rollout has been slower for a list of reasons and it's causing political tensions and they need to sound tough about this. They will noisily "monitor" vaccine exports for a while until the jabs start going in there and the story dies down.

Other countries have cynical politics too. Surprised?

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Wait, apparently the Astra Zeneca vaccine has yet to be formally approved by the European Medicines Agency, they should get their regulatory thumbs out of their backsides before discussing withholding supply.

And Italy threatens to sue Pfizer, interesting times in which to live indeed

Last edited: 26 Jan 2021
  5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I would have found the Prime minister apology on the coronavirus briefing yesterday more convincing if he then did not go on to state that lessons will be learned and that he had done everything he could to minimise deaths.

adidan likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Apologies bud - I was feeling it a bit yesterday. Seemed like the end times based on information overload. That was the general "it".

Going to try a more positive approach today! Homeschool starts in a minute...:sigh:

7. adidan

Ah right, no worries mate.

Yeah I find it helps if some days you just ignore the news completely otherwise I feel my head will explode or i'll put my foot through the TV :happy:

Good luck with the homeschooling! :thumb::happy:

ModSquid and Arboreal like this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson said, during PMQ:
    But... correct me if I'm wrong, that's not true, is it? Those groups will have developed immunity from the virus after receiving the second dose, not after the first. A single dose is only around 50 percent effective for Pfizer's (PDF warning) and around 60 percent effective for Oxford-AstraZeneca. The only time you could really say you're likely to have developed "immunity" on one dose is if you got Moderna at 80 percent (PDF warning). To quote Professor Danny Altmann, Imperial College London immunologist, in this BBC article, "I would behave exactly as if I hadn't had the vaccine yet [if I'd only had one dose]. I wouldn't drop my guard or do anything differently."

9. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Correct, but when has that stopped him? He can just say he's sorry anyway.

I think what the one shot will do is dramatically reduce hospitalisations.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'We did everything we could'

adidan likes this.
  11. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Isn't the answer 'nobody knows'? The efficacy rate of 50% on the pfizer vaccine is based on the number of cases in the three week period between the first dose and second dose, vs those in the placebo group. Is the ~90% efficacy rate in the first 7 days from the second dose being administered purely a bump from the second vaccine, is it the first dose still 'developing' immunity, or is it a bit of both?

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

14. adidan

OMFG.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

Did a bit of reading and the Guardian has a good explainer on the EU-AstraZenica beef. https://www.theguardian.com/busines...accines-row-astrazeneca-boss-reveals-problems

My suspicion is still that all the strong words are for domestic consumption and they will have told the UK gov to quietly ignore it. But this sort of thing can really inflame people when they are scared and it would be best if they resolved their arguments with AZ in private.

I also have to think that if you substituted EU with US and Trump was in charge this issue would have seem a lot more posts here. Even if it was just noise as I suspect.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

People have a EU love Affair on here, Brexit main cause of this. It can do no wrong.

They are now trying to bully a UK - Swedish company to give them priority access to the supplies that are available. If it was the USA and Trump still there would be lots of posts critising him.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that nobody has the illusion that the EU is a warm fluffy union without any flaws or incompetence. It's just that Brexit, in comparison, is brain-breakingly stupid and the current UK government farcical. I mean, generally speaking the UK is making the EU look good.

And in before you praise the UK's vaccination programme: it's amazing what can be achieved when the government actually enables the NHS to do its thing, rather than hamstring it with bone-deep budget cuts and unrealistic targets.

The EU absolutely ballsed this one up, and its very public dispute with AZ is very unhelpful, but on the other hand the French company Sanofi, whose own vaccine has run into development problems, is now making its manufacturing facilities available to Pfizer and AZ to enable them to produce more vaccine, faster. So it's swings and roundabouts.

EDIT: people should also be aware that AZ had difficulty fulfilling the UK order and was 23 million UK-produced doses short in December. It made up that shortfall by shipping in doses produced in its EU plants.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2021
    Byron C likes this.
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just because this forum is mostly home to people who have the brainpower to work out that downgrading our relationship with the EU inevitably results in a loss of benefits from said relationship doesn't mean anyone here believes the EU can do no wrong.

But of course you already knew that...

Nexxo, David, Byron C and 1 other person like this.
  19. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Could you kindly or anyone give me the gist of what they're saying. I am profoundly deaf and I can't hear what they're telling and no available subtitles. Cheers if someone can.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Can't see a full transcribed version, but this article gives the gist of it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55825480

Last edited: 28 Jan 2021
    Broadwater06 and VipersGratitude like this.